Recruiting 2024 Early Signing Day Thread

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That may be the case to an extent, but he was being recruited by Peterson and Spencer. If it were strictly about dollars, it would be what we’re seeing with USC and Lagway. Dollars ate dollars and won’t change between now and February. The angle they’re playing with not signing today is obviously related to not having a defensive line coach.
So he obviously went from "locked in" to not signing today because of the new information that we haven't hired a DL coach that isn't his position coach, and not due to NIL money which is supposedly being increased?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I, for one, am not enjoying this day the way I used to. We would sign the guys expected and watch with anticipation for a few 50/50 guys to announce and we would often get one or two.

We would occasionally lose one on NSD, but not enough to collapse all hope.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
So he obviously went from "locked in" to not signing today because of the new information that we haven't hired a DL coach that isn't his position coach, and not due to NIL money which is supposedly being increased?

david byrne dancing GIF

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
So, everything going as planned? We getting errybody? Any super secret silent commits yet?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sorry but if we lose X and Lj and Hayes I'm gonna be on the looking for a new coach train. I've tried to be supportive. I drive 7 hours almost every home game to make it. NIL and the transfer portal has ruined college football for me.

NIL is certainly a part of it. But there’s more to it than just that. As was said, this is what happens when you have players teams would actually want. But it’s also what happens when you go five and seven and those head coaches can tell every recruit you have that they will be playing for a different staff or going five and seven.

I’d also add, on the portal. While I do, hate it as well, I also think there are advantages for us in a year like this one. I don’t think there’s a chance I’m hell we keep the number one quarterback in the country if he didn’t in the back of his mind know that he could leave if things don’t pan out as well as he’d hoped. So there’s a flipside to it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I, for one, am not enjoying this day the way I used to. We would sign the guys expected and watch with anticipation for a few 50/50 guys to announce and we would often get one or two.

We would occasionally lose one on NSD, but not enough to collapse all hope.
Yes, but how much does it matter for ANYONE anymore when anyone can transfer at any time for any reason without penalty? These signings don't mean nearly what they used to.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Yes, but how much does it matter for ANYONE anymore when anyone can transfer at any time for any reason without penalty? These signings don't mean nearly what they used to.
I agree. Another reason NSD just isn't as fun anymore. And having two of them is equally silly.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He just went onto official visits within the last week to both Florida State and Auburn. There’s nothing locked in about that, and the only people who felt that he was were the people who refused to see reality. By that same logic, are you telling me those teams just realized they needed the number one defensive line player in the country and needed to spend more money? Again, not discounting the money angle entirely, but this has been a problem since the Spencer announcement.

Gatorbait_007

Jan 14, 2016
Then he shouldn't say yesterday he wasn't flipping
He just went onto official visits within the last week to both Florida State and Auburn. There’s nothing locked in about that, and the only people who felt that he was were the people who refused to see reality. By that same logic, are you telling me those teams just realized they needed the number one defensive line player in the country and needed to spend more money? Again, not discounting the money angle entirely, but this has been a problem since the Spencer announcement.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BREAKING: T's mom just sighted leaving home with her walker headed to turn in her surprise commit by hand... she should make it in time, I thought the walk would take longer than 4.5 hours!!! :dunno:

(if you know, you know...)

View attachment 65496
People - this is how you do a mom joke! All the other mom jokes are amaturish, (like your mom). See

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is that the same logic?

What would make sense to me, if you are wanting to flip somebody by throwing a bunch of money at them, is waiting until the last minute so as to not allow the opposition time to counter would be a good approach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t disagree. But personally I don’t believe anyone that’s taking visits up until the 11th hour isn’t flipping until they sign. If you’re locked in you don’t do that. Clearly there was some doubt in his mind which is why he went.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

How many times has a guy said he wasn't flipping just to flip, this isn't a new thing. This has been happening for decades. Don't blame the kid for playing the same game a coach can do if he rescinds an offer the day before signing day because he got a better kid to commit.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t disagree. But personally I don’t believe anyone that’s taking visits up until the 11th hour isn’t flipping until they sign. If you’re locked in you don’t do that. Clearly there was some doubt in his mind which is why he went.
Then how is it you are seeing this as different than Lagway, who's probably the only person in the country that had more visitors than your mom this past week?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Is that the same logic?

What would make sense to me, if you are wanting to flip somebody by throwing a bunch of money at them, is waiting until the last minute so as to not allow the opposition time to counter would be a good approach.

Still doesn’t explain the visits. He was clearly interested and they were both scheduled after Spencer’s “firing”. By his own admission, the reason he waited was so that he was sure and didn’t want to flip. We said thanks and then on a 5 game bender, fired his coach and didn’t hire a new one. Again, I’ll never say NIL isn’t part of things. But there’s more to it than just that. DJL is seeing 5 coaches a week who are throwing stupid money at him. But he’s not been taking OVs there the past month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.