2024 Investing Thread

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
To be fair... 95% of this responsibility will fall on my sister :lol:

Matter of fact, I am trying to do this meeting via zoom!
I'm even more impressed at your ability to pawn off the work portion on your sister, while still reaping the benefits of her hard work. :highfive: I may be seeking your advice soon :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To be fair... 95% of this responsibility will fall on my sister :lol:
Solid.... My mother keeps asking why I'm so concerned with my older brothers health....God forbid something happens to him because then I'm left as the Executor of the family trust with 3 gold diggers, 2 of which I can't even stand to be in the same room as...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Solid.... My mother keeps asking why I'm so concerned with my older brothers health....God forbid something happens to him because then I'm left as the Executor of the family trust with 3 gold diggers, 2 of which I can't even stand to be in the same room as...

Oof.

My wife has 7 aunts/uncles. When their mom (grandma) died several years ago, it went into absolute armageddon on how to split like 800 bucks. Several of them haven’t spoken to each other since then because of it.

The farm was gifted to my Granddad when he turned 18. He died before I was born. When grandma died like 15 years ago, it split 50/50 between my uncle and my mom. My uncle never married or had kids due to his medical condition. When my mom got sick and we knew she was going to die, we told her that she should give her 50% back to brother. He deserves it, he has lived on that property every second of his life. The promise was that it would all go to my sister and me in his will. In hindsight, that might not have been the smartest move on our part…. But it still felt right to do it that way.

My dad however was a different story. He was absolutely PISSED when she died and she left all that back to her brother:lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My wife has 7 aunts/uncles. When their mom (grandma) died several years ago, it went into absolute armageddon on how to split like 800 bucks. Several of them haven’t spoken to each other since then because of it.
It's already to the point where 2 of my sisters are rifling through the house when they go over there and putting "tags" on certain items like antique music boxes and dolls....2 of the 3 are already fighting about moving into my mom's house even though she paid their houses off several years back...of course they borrowed on them again and have ramped up their CC debt again....

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's already to the point where 2 of my sisters are rifling through the house when they go over there and putting "tags" on certain items like antique music boxes and dolls....2 of the 3 are already fighting about moving into my mom's house even though she paid their houses off several years back...of course they borrowed on them again and have ramped up their CC debt again....

Just awful.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Just awful.
Family disputes over estates are way too common and destructive. Guilt-fueled fights for the possessions and resources of dead family members are just terrible. We have an on-going dispute with my wife's sister over their mom's estate. We take care of mom full-time and her sister just sits back and complains about the job we do. She lives 20 minutes away but hasn't seen her mom in four years (supposedly because of her self-diagnosed Long Covid.) Anyhow, her sister mismanaged the money until last year when we rug-pulled control.

That's one of the reasons I've been so focused on investing the last two years. You should have heard the screams when I told her that Gatorchatter is our new financial advisor now.

So best of luck, Brad. I hope it gets worked out smoothly and ethically and that everyone involved can honor the dead and their lives and property. Will the farm be liquidated? Or are there any ambitious relatives who want to work the farm? Could be a great asset to have the means of food production. All the richest families produce their own food supplies privately.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Just awful.
Every time I hear stories like these I count my blessings. After my father died - my mom had preceded him by a few years - my sisters and I did a pretty decent job of dividing stuff up. Any disputes were always based on sentimentality rather than the item's value and in the end everyone felt it was more or less equitable. When it came to the actual assets, we divided it up by three with each person taking an equal share. We have had some disagreements on how to proceed with some issues, but none have been loud or angry and we still all get together with our respective families (including all 5 dogs) every Thanksgiving. It's chaos, and now that almost everyone is over 21 a bit of a drunk fest, but a good time.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorchatter is our new financial advisor now
Matthew Broderick GIF

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Will the farm be liquidated? Or are there any ambitious relatives who want to work the farm? Could be a great asset to have the means of food production. All the richest families produce their own food supplies privately.

I am not certain yet what our plan will be. It's 250 acres almost one hour southeast of San Antonio. Been in the family for 100 years. It is producing a little bit of money through some oil under it. Most of it leased to another farmer growing crops. My uncle still manages roughly 20 cows and the pasture section. Every summer of my youth was spent there.

It's a huge dove hunting area. We thought about maybe building a dove hunting cabin airbnb. You have to keep active farming on the land or the taxes will absolutely eat you alive. My sister's son loves it and would move there. Until he learned he would have the life of a farmer. The biggest problem would be managing it all from Florida.

I think the smart move would be to sell it. As emotionally painful as that is. About 10 years ago it was worth roughly $1M. With the vast expansion of San Antonio and the current market... who knows now.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I think the smart move would be to sell it. As emotionally painful as that is. About 10 years ago it was worth roughly $1M. With the vast expansion of San Antonio and the current market... who knows now.
That's exciting. Farm life is its own animal. Probably best to sell and roll it all into Bitcoin.

Seriously though, don't be shy or ashamed to approach your Uncle about signing-off on all the details before he passes over. It makes everything so much easier and heads off fights before they start. He gets to say exactly what he wants to happen to his estate while he is still here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Pretty accurate today. No worries. The FED is here not to let the market tank. Not lowering rates but only slowing the balance sheet runoff by over 50% monthly starting next month. Probably equal to a 25-50 basis point cut. Call Hewlett or Xerox and restock the ink!
Just making more room for Bidens student loan forgiveness program.....The MFer's needs to unbury the manual on buying MBS before he has a catastrophe on his hands with unemployment and default(CC, car loan and such)like this country has never seen.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last week, there was a 3rd company my daughter was looking at. I almost mentioned it. HIMS
She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she didn’t buy any.
And then this week happened:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Last week, there was a 3rd company my daughter was looking at. I almost mentioned it. HIMS
She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she didn’t buy any.
And then this week happened:

When I first saw his comments, I couldn’t help but wonder how they could possibly do anything but hurt his company. It seems like common sense to me, but then I guess common sense isn’t really all that common.

Good for your daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.