Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Are we looking to add another QB to 2024 class? ( Lagway +1)
Pretty sure we are done at QB
Lagway still start day 1

We have not signed Lagway and you can bet a lot of staffs are now in his ear. How long until he listens? It has to at least look like all the Gators need is a QB. But there is more to our poor offensive performance that QBing. Damnit, Napier was trying to prove we could sling it all over the field and he ended up hurting his cause.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We have not signed Lagway and you can bet a lot of staffs are now in his ear. How long until he listens? It has to at least look like all the Gators need is a QB. But there is more to our poor offensive performance that QBing. Damnit, Napier was trying to prove we could sling it all over the field and he ended up hurting his cause.
If the current staff believes this committed, unsigned HS QB is truly the future then here is what should have happened last week. This committed yet unsigned QB resides and plays in Tex-A$$ correct? Did not the team land, practice and stay in Dallas one day on this trip? If so the only thing on Karl's mind should have been to go visit this committed, unsigned QB in any fashion legal. No contact allowed? Fine then go watch practice. Contact allowed? Then genuflect suck his slickie to make sure he does sign.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
If the current staff believes this committed, unsigned HS QB is truly the future then here is what should have happened last week. This committed yet unsigned QB resides and plays in Tex-A$$ correct? Did not the team land, practice and stay in Dallas one day on this trip? If so the only thing on Karl's mind should have been to go visit this committed, unsigned QB in any fashion legal. No contact allowed? Fine then go watch practice. Contact allowed? Then genuflect suck his slickie to make sure he does sign.
Of all the words typed, one might think "genuflect" would be the one that most have to Google but, nope, "slickie" takes that honor.

Oh, BTW, do NOT Google "slickie".

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
I'm already over the season. One game is all it took. Would be nice to hire a complete coach. Not one that can score points and can't do anything else. Not one that can recruit and can't do anything else. I want a coach that can coach, has an actual OC, can recruit, and wins. It's been 13 years since we had one like that, is that too much to ask?

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm already over the season. One game is all it took. Would be nice to hire a complete coach. Not one that can score points and can't do anything else. Not one they can recruit as a can't do anything else. I want a coach that can coach, has an actual OC, can recruit, and wins. Is that too much to ask for from the past 13 years?
It sounds like a lot, but then you watch teams like north Carolina and Arkansas do it and realize it ain't that hard, and much better coaches can do it well for much less money.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Napier was trying to prove we could sling it all over the field and he ended up hurting his cause.
Funny way of showing it since many of our pass plays only have two receivers going downfield and they’re usually covered well by any opponent with a film room on campus. We don’t need someone who can throw BTW, those guys re easy to find. We need a guy who can move around, run, and throw.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
I'm already over the season. One game is all it took. Would be nice to hire a complete coach. Not one that can score points and can't do anything else. Not one that can recruit and can't do anything else. I want a coach that can coach, has an actual OC, can recruit, and wins. It's been 13 years since we had one like that, is that too much to ask?
I'm not completely out yet but if this one doesn't pan out, our chances of landing a coach of that caliber for the University of Florida football team is the same odds of hitting the lottery.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Funny way of showing it since many of our pass plays only have two receivers going downfield and they’re usually covered well by any opponent with a film room on campus. We don’t need someone who can throw BTW, those guys re easy to find. We need a guy who can move around, run, and throw.
Right, so not a very good showing or not a good system if you run an offense that has to play from behind. Our strength was the run game last season but last week we ran the ball 10 times(?) with RBs and passed 44 times(?). Huge swing from last year and seemingly ill advised and dumbfounding in retrospect. Was it done because they knew we could not block their front 7,8,9? I don't know. Someone who gleens more than me might respond. Was our reliance on passing an admission that staff knew going in that our OL cannot block? We read the practice reports about how play x was unstoppable but we had close to no consistent pressure on Utah. Anyway, what do I know. Feels like it's going to be a long season.

It's been said and makes sense that if we cannot run the ball we will not pass well. Two man routes won't cut it. Our pass game did nothing, apparently, to open up the run. So, where we were run first last season, the numbers say we were 80% pass first last week. Isn't that odd?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right, so not a very good showing or not a good system if you run an offense that has to play from behind. Our strength was the run game last season but last week we ran the ball 10 times(?) with RBs and passed 44 times(?). Huge swing from last year and seemingly ill advised and dumbfounding in retrospect. Was it done because they knew we could not block their front 7,8,9? I don't know. Someone who gleens more than me might respond. Was our reliance on passing an admission that staff knew going in that our OL cannot block? We read the practice reports about how play x was unstoppable but we had close to no consistent pressure on Utah. Anyway, what do I know. Feels like it's going to be a long season.

It's been said and makes sense that if we cannot run the ball we will not pass well. Two man routes won't cut it. Our pass game did nothing, apparently, to open up the run. So, where we were run first last season, the numbers say we were 80% pass first last week. Isn't that odd?
All I was saying is that todays college game pretty much demands a mobile quarterback. Way harder to defend at this level than a traditional pro-style QB.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Our strength was the run game last season but last week we ran the ball 10 times(?) with RBs and passed 44 times(?). Huge swing from last year and seemingly ill advised and dumbfounding in retrospect. Was it done because they knew we could not block their front 7,8,9? I don't know. Someone who gleens more than me might respond. Was our reliance on passing an admission that staff knew going in that our OL cannot block?
It's been said and makes sense that if we cannot run the ball we will not pass well. Two man routes won't cut it.

This made me think, and go back to check the box score. Caveat - I am a football idiot, so anything I spout may be completely wrong. But...

We all know Etienne and Johnson are our workhorses, and the running stats don't show we used as we did last year. Box says TrEt got 7 carries for 25y (most for anyone), while MoJo got 3 carries for 6y (ugh). That is 10 carries in the run game out of a box score 21 run attempts (counting 8 run/sacks by Mertz). If we ignore Mertz, our RB tandem got 10/13 running plays, and we weren't gaining much with that.

Contrast it with the passing game. Mertz went 31/44, but of those completions TrEt got 4 for 12y while MoJo got 3 for 41y = more production for both players. I didn't watch the game, so I don't know how much of those were check downs vs called passes to the RBs coming out of the backfield. BUT, this shows me we WERE feeding our best players. and the RBs are part of that "2 man routes"...I hope. Moreover, that leaves 24 completions to 9 other guys = spreading it around, making the defense account for everyone.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This from an article:
He didn't run the ball enough. Not at all.
"I think ultimately, for me, looking back at it, that's something we could have been a little bit more committed to," he said(Napier). "There's no doubt about it."

Really, you have to lose games to realize that? I like Napier, on most levels. But, that seems really negligent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.