Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Ranked #5 Overall: 4* WR Elijah Badger headed to UF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Enforced how exactly? Through collections agencies after the fact? I don’t mean to be offensive, but most of the kids centering things around NIL aren’t overly concerned with their credit rating. And you’ve already got an entire segment of society complaining about having to pay back loans. This would be a breach of contract situation and nearly impossible to collect on. So you’d have to keep the funds until the commitment was fulfilled which goes against much of the argument that these kids are broke during college and need money. I like the idea of connecting the two things, I just don’t know how practical it would be to implement.

People are forgetting the fact that the NIL is for them doing advertising or appearance work, podcasts, even probably some charitable events. So they undoubtedly did whatever was required in the contract or else they wouldn't have been paid.

NIL does not get paid for playing football games and certainly not for playing the entire 4 years of a football game with a certain team.

Moreover, theoretically, if I agree to do nil for Applebee's because I'm a famous football player, it doesn't really matter which team I'm playing for I'm still a famous football player with the ability to produce advertising views.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Enforced how exactly? Through collections agencies after the fact? I don’t mean to be offensive, but most of the kids centering things around NIL aren’t overly concerned with their credit rating. And you’ve already got an entire segment of society complaining about having to pay back loans. This would be a breach of contract situation and nearly impossible to collect on. So you’d have to keep the funds until the commitment was fulfilled which goes against much of the argument that these kids are broke during college and need money. I like the idea of connecting the two things, I just don’t know how practical it would be to implement.
I have no idea. But it may be one of the only ways.

Another thing that can be done is that you can’t move inter-conference without sitting out.

Or maybe you can move inter-conference. But only once.

Just some thoughts.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People are forgetting the fact that the NIL is for them doing advertising or appearance work, podcasts, even probably some charitable events. So they undoubtedly did whatever was required in the contract or else they wouldn't have been paid.

NIL does not get paid for playing football games and certainly not for playing the entire 4 years of a football game with a certain team.

Moreover, theoretically, if I agree to do nil for Applebee's because I'm a famous football player, it doesn't really matter which team I'm playing for I'm still a famous football player with the ability to produce advertising views.
But if the business that’s giving, the NIL is in the town, and they have to make local appearances, or do local things, they won’t be able to do that if they are at a different college doing a different NIL deal. I’m pretty sure they can construct language to that effect.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
don't pick on my boy.

well maybe my boy.
Will Ferrell Old School Movie GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Wait til Billy gets his players. Or players to replace Billy's players who left.

I’m actually on the other side with this one. He was a Mullen commit who started getting attention and became full of himself. Saban even gave him a contingency, contingency offer and he talked about flipping. Then he realized he had no spot, and started listening to UK, even visiting just before NSD, only to find out they didn’t have room either. So he stayed committed. Now after two years of not being able to crack our OL he’s gonna venture out? Fine by me. I doubt it goes well for him.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That kid has garnered a ton of interest. From middle of the pack teams in sht conferences. Then throw in Oregon and us.

I guess I'm supposed to be excited.

Yay...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That kid has garnered a ton of interest. From middle of the pack teams in sht conferences. Then throw in Oregon and us.

I guess I'm supposed to be excited.

Yay...

The one constant theme of those middle of the pack teams is academics. In that respect we offer a pretty decent balance. I think we have a shot.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
With force

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well damn. There goes all my hope up in ashes.
His buyout is more than Napier's.
Maybe he will just tell THE people up there to stick it, he's going to Florida, and no buyout is warranted.

A man has no course but to dream, when his reality is crushed.
Crap, I missed the length. I thought they gave him a two year deal, extension. Maybe they would consider an even trade.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe I am misreading this article, but I read it to say he has 5 years on his contract and a buyout of $46M if he is fired this year.
Yep. He's going to be at Ohio State for a while. Will be interesting to see if the transfer portal takes their roster down a level. As good as their class is, we know how FR play... with potential mostly.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I see it the other way. I’m fine with the overall idea of allowing kids to leave if their circumstances change. That was always the argument. Coaches leave, get fired, etc. and I think it’s ok to have some parameters in place to give them some freedom as well. But this on a whim approach format is not good for anyone. We don’t care as much because we’re not poised for anything next year. But for a team like OhSt who’s close and could be a legit contender next year, they lose a ton of players that they worked hard to recruit and everything gets derailed. I think there needs to be more restrictions placed. Coaches left and got fired, but nothing like the rate we’re seeing here.
You have to be committed to the team for 3 years once you sign the LOI. If the HBC gets fired or bails then you may transfer regardless. That's IT! It will calm things down a bit, make recruits think more about immediate playing time possibilities and give coaches a bit more normalcy. They are student-athletes not professional athletes.

The NIL deals should be between the player and the business and the school or any affiliates should be completely out of it. Let them hire an attorney, agent or whatever and get sponsors themselves but when they sign that LOI, that's a contract with the school and they will be bound to it regardless.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve had some amazing mythical OC’s over the years.
Im not so sure about Willy Korn other than he has a name that sounds redneck enough to be a friend of Billy. He has almost no experience, so that seems to fit with Billy. He had one years of co-OC at Coastal Carolina and onemyear of CoOC at Liberty. He doesn't appear to have been the actual play caller at either place. Both teams run simple spread mostly sideways offense. Billy isn't leaving his inside outside zone running so I don't know how the guy is a fit in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.