20th Anniversary of our first National Championship

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It was my 21st birthday and like every fan, I was absolutely pumped to get another shot at the clowns. I knew they couldn't beat us again. Jason Walker went around the room questioning each of our group of friends for a score prediction. Mine was "52-20".

I was so fired up during the beatdown I had forgotten my score prediction until it was 45-20 and UF was driving down the field. Fred Taylor left, Terry Jackson right. When they punched in that last TD (on 4th down) I went ballistic.

Jason and I drove home with "We are the Champions" on repeat on the CD player, and sang along the whole way.

Anyone else have any special memories of that day?

Discuss.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
To this day, FSU fans try to act like like this game never happened. They only like to remind us of how many titles they have compared to UF. When I bring up of all the titles UF has won, our first ever is the one that may never be matched. Only FSU fans want to drop the conversation and say it was a long time ago. We all know this game still makes the FSU fans butt hurt.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't hear the "food poisoning" excuse until 13 years later.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I read on whorechant several years back how their linebacker, Bush crapped his pants during the game.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I was in 10th grade and the only Gator fan at my school filled with a lot of closet UGA fans that at the time were all "big time" FSU fans. The day after was glorious rubbing it in the faces for all the crap I took from them.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I was stationed in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area and my parents visited for Christmas and NYD holiday. Dad and I soaked in every minute of that game in my living room, having sat through years of Gator underachieving in the 70s and 80s with the FL heat and torrential downpours at Florida Field. SOS gave us some special moments and this one topped them all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I learned I was about to become a first-time dad earlier in the week. She was asleep and I watched the game alone, pounding beers during the first half. I was stressed out over the outcome and esp because it involved FSU. You can forget Georgia. In Tampa Bay, the Holes are our biggest rival.

It was a great Florida team but nonetheless an improbable rise considering it took a Texas upset win to vault us into the rematch with FSU.

It would have been great enough winning our first national title. That it was over those creeps and the way we crushed them made it more satisfying than I can possibly put into words.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People forget the fact that we played the first game with two missing OL.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

They had some quick ass DL. We had a tough time protecting Wuerffel.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We also weren't using the shotgun that first game. Making it part of the game plan changed everything.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FSU fans just reply that this as in the past and doesn't matter anymore. They point to their current recent domination in the series. We have to start beating them again sooner or later. It goes in cycles.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I celebrated 24/7 365 straight days as I did all our 5 major NC. Held A gator party the night of the next NC game. Just realy soaked in every second of being champions. I think some fans thought we would win it every year and might explain why some fans are so spoiled.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
To me, the most satisfying win ever. I was 15 at the time, my dad has always been a huge nole fan so it was always pretty intense in my house during these games. Once we pulled away in the 2nd half my dad knew it was over and went to bed before it got real ugly. To me personally I've always wanted to beat the noles more than anyone. I guess if I was about 20 years older, I would hate Georgia more, but for most of my football watching life we've dominated Georgia but Fsu has been a different story. Some of those losses to the noles no doubt kept us from playing for more natty championships, but we knocked them out of a few as well.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yep, one was Donnie Young and I cant remember the 2nd. Just knew the line was porous in the first game and much better in the 2nd.

Our starting Center, Mitchell, I believe... done for the year, missing the Sugar Bowl as well (RFr replaced him?). Decent draft pick as a C that year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are two things in this offense that I don't see in our offense now.

One is, Danny is incredibly accurate; particularly when throwing back across his body.

And number two is he gets rid of the ball in about two seconds. Which means that he really knows the offense. And the receivers are where they are supposed to be.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The center was out.......I remember. I remember the intro music to the broadcast and thought it was the coolest ever. Drove downtown Gville after the game with my kids and her friend. Spencer was 7 and freaked out crying in the back from all the crazy out there. The only bowl game I didnt go under SOS ...................maybe I was good luck staying home,

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was my 21st birthday and like every fan, I was absolutely pumped to get another shot at the clowns. I knew they couldn't beat us again. Jason Walker went around the room questioning each of our group of friends for a score prediction. Mine was "52-20".

I was so fired up during the beatdown I had forgotten my score prediction until it was 45-20 and UF was driving down the field. Fred Taylor left, Terry Jackson right. When they punched in that last TD (on 4th down) I went ballistic.

Jason and I drove home with "We are the Champions" on repeat on the CD player, and sang along the whole way.

Anyone else have any special memories of that day?

Discuss.

Got to shake the hand of 'Walkin' Lawton Chiles that night on Bourbon Street with a hurricane in my other hand. That game was the best of many trips to Nawlins for New Years and Mardi Gras over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator