247 re-ranks the 2016 class. Jawaan Taylor re-ranked as 5*

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imo it's way too early for this. It's been 1 year.

Exactly - Taylor did well most of the year but was overwhelmed big time by the elite pass rushers of FSU and Bama. He is a true freshman and may become a great one but I think a 4 star ranking is more in order at this point.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He played well most of the year. Nothing wrong with this.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's bowl season. They should be doing this crap in May or June when there's nothing to talk/write about.

Did they lower Driskel from a 5-star to a 1-star?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
It's bowl season. They should be doing this crap in May or June when there's nothing to talk/write about.

Agreed! Taylor was a beast tho and probably our best offensive lineman this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm wondering how stars Mac has at this point? :dunno:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why? IIRC there were plenty od happy people when we signed him and a near consensus that he was underranked.
I just assumed it would devolve into a discussion about how much the staffs recruiting sucks. The norm.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I don't recall Driskel ever being a 5 star.

Last edited:

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
This is the ultimate in confirmation bias. Reranking recruits after they've played a year in college only has the effect of making the rankings look much more accurate than they really are. So when we have these arguments about the impact of 3*, 4*, and 5* players are we looking at their rankings during recruiting or with the hindsight of playing for a year?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is the ultimate in confirmation bias. Reranking recruits after they've played a year in college only has the effect of making the rankings look much more accurate than they really are. So when we have these arguments about the impact of 3*, 4*, and 5* players are we looking at their rankings during recruiting or with the hindsight of playing for a year?

You also get a bias from a freshman playing early before others might that have good players in front of them. Unless a kid performs like a 5 star superstar when they actually play you can't say they will be that level for sure and very few true freshman ever do. There are some but not many.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Bammers players arent good bc they redshirted and are waiting in line behind 77 other bluechippers. Whatever.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like NFL draft results you should wait 3 to 4 years, before these kinds of lists are produced.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't recall Driskel ever being a 5 star.

Law, I thought he was a 5-star so I google searched it. Seems some places have him as a 4 and some a 5-star.

Regardless, my point was that he wasn't a 5-star (if he was) and to your point...he wasn't even a 4-star!

He's the 32nd player in this link (and a 4-star in the Rivals 250 link), check out some of the players he's ahead of. Amazing.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/

The ESPNU 150 rankings for the top college prospects in the nation were released Tuesday on its recruiting website and Driskel was the first quarterback listed, coming in overall as the No. 14 player in the entire country.

Driskel was also the top QB nationally in the Rivals.com rankings, which were also realeased Wednesday. Rivals ranks players all the way through Rivals 250. We'll further analyze those rankings for Friday. See Rivals 100 here. .

---

Here's a story: From 5-star to outcast:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/jeff-driskel-career/

Jeff Driskel’s career as the quarterback of the Florida Gators appears to be near an end.

Once considered the next Tim Tebow, Driskel’s career in Gainesville has been mired by injuries, turnover at the offensive coordinator position, and an inability to capitalize in key moments on the field. The Florida fan base is out for blood, and its attention is firmly focused on the veteran quarterback.

When I sat down in the stands at Edgewater High School in Orlando, Florida in the fall of 2010 to watch 5-star prospect Jeff Driskel in person, he looked like a man among boys as he warmed up on the sidelines for Hagerty High School. He was physically dominating compared to his teammates. His throws during warmups were lasers. It was immediately clear why he was considered a top QB recruit in the country.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you guys didnt spend your time viewing the shytty ratings from Scout or even worse ESPN (and 247 uses both) you wouldnt be as surprised. Rivals accurately assessed him as unable to read defenses and lacking locket composure. Pretty accurate.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you guys didnt spend your time viewing the shytty ratings from Scout or even worse ESPN (and 247 uses both) you wouldnt be as surprised. Rivals accurately assessed him as unable to read defenses and lacking locket composure. Pretty accurate.

Agree, but Rivals had him about 5 spots away from being a 5-star too (i.e. if he was ranked 5 spots higher he would have been the last 5-star - they had 27 5-star rated players, he was ranked 32nd).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, but Rivals had him about 5 spots away from being a 5-star too (i.e. if he was ranked 5 spots higher he would have been the last 5-star - they had 27 5-star rated players, he was ranked 32nd).
But thats correct, right? Five star arm and legs, 2 star brain? My point was they were the only ones who looked beyond measurables and raised the flags.

ESPN especially but also scouts are way too concerned with being "fair" and overranking kids from Vermont and South Dakota, you know, to prove they dont have a southern bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator