Votes: 105 64.4%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 58 35.6%

• Total voters

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Because they are full of sh#t? There is nothing about his record as a head coach that says underrated. We really shouldn't have to rehash this, but his record vs ranked teams, all time ineptitude in ranked vs ranked, and losing record in conference despite having 9 years worth of data tells you only an idiot would consider that underrated.

His record at MSU is very comparable to Franklin’s at Vandy. MSU is generally a better program than Vandy, but the SECw has been far, far stronger than the SECe the last 9 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
danny-wuerffel-1996jpg-9d38f5b9b00ecde8.jpg

Did someone say SEVEN?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I really enjoy reading your posts, usually. But, man you have a hardon for Mullen.
Anyone making a claim that Stoops is better than Mullen doesn't know football. Period!
I get that Mullen isn't a popular choice, but @itraz, put down the crack pipe. I don't want Jack sh!t from Kentucky.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone making a claim that Stoops is better than Mullen doesn't know football. Period!
I get that Mullen isn't a popular choice, but @itraz, put down the crack pipe. I don't want Jack sh!t from Kentucky.
No one is really making the claim.

Its just that he isnt much better than Stoops.....or anyone, really.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Our roster is much better than theirs. It''s not even close. Whether our coach is better than their's is definitely more up for debate.
This is laughably untrue. As I've stated, I get why some aren't too thrilled with Mullen, but he's not in the same coaching realm as Stoops.

News Flash... Mississippi State is not a respectable football program. I keep seeing you guys spout off stats about how uncompetitive Mullen has been against ranked teams without ever equating the reality of their program. Before Mullen that program was moribund. What were you guys' expectations? Nick Saban wouldn't win at MSU either.

It's ok to voice displeasure, but be realistic in your criticism.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
No one is really making the claim.

Its just that he isnt much better than Stoops.....or anyone, really.
He clearly stated he would trade coaches. That means he thinks Stoops is better.

Mullen may be a lot of things, but he's not pulling what Stoops did last year. It's not a debate. Put it in context. All things equal Kentucky probably beats us last year. However, he was out coached by Mac and Nuss. Maybe the only game Mac won during his tenure where he wasn't out coached.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He clearly stated he would trade coaches. That means he thinks Stoops is better.

Mullen may be a lot of things, but he's not pulling what Stoops did last year. It's not a debate. Put it in context. All things equal Kentucky probably beats us last year. However, he was out coached by Mac and Nuss. Maybe the only game Mac won during his tenure where he wasn't out coached.
He was outcoached by Butters and Nuss. No one is outcoached by Butters and Nuss.

Butters probably met LDR on the hashmark and raised hell with LDR for throwing the winning pass instead of running his shytty fuggin playaction on second down.

He DEFINITELY chewed Franks azz for beating Tinerc instead of running his shytty play.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The "ranked when we played them" argument is a joke. I remember when unranked alabama started saban's second season against clemson who was ranked pretty high. Bama crushed them. Clemson went on to be a meh team, bama gave us all we could handle in the SEC title game.

The only ranking that is legit is the one you have (or dont) after the last game. And unfortunately Mullen's 7-California record gets even worse when you look at final rankings. Go ahead and label me a dumper but Ive never seen a coach with a record like that against quality opponents ever be anything but exactly what the record indicates. Hot garbage.

I hated the hire when it was announced. Was checking the news on my phone Sunday morning when i saw the headline. Chucked the damn phone clear across the living room and cracked a mirror.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The "ranked when we played them" argument is a joke. I remember when unranked alabama started saban's second season against clemson who was ranked pretty high. Bama crushed them. Clemson went on to be a meh team, bama gave us all we could handle in the SEC title game.

The only ranking that is legit is the one you have (or dont) after the last game. And unfortunately Mullen's 7-California record gets even worse when you look at final rankings. Go ahead and label me a dumper but Ive never seen a coach with a record like that against quality opponents ever be anything but exactly what the record indicates. Hot garbage.

I hated the hire when it was announced. Was checking the news on my phone Sunday morning when i saw the headline. Chucked the damn phone clear across the living room and cracked a mirror.

Yep just turnovers bouncing your way sometimes should get you better than 3-34 against final AP top 25 teams even if you don't have the better talent in most of the matchups..

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

I was very much the same. I do have a glimmer of hope now though...

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I was disappointed by the Mullen hire. Among other things I immediately knew the vocal fan base would hate the hire also and would make things as miserable as they could even before he coached a game.

I keep reading that he has a window of 2.5 to 4 years to make it happen. Wrong, very wrong. He has this year. Period. If he wins less than 10 games the negative energy long associated with the program will reach an all-time high.

College football is all about fanatics. Fans are uber obsessed with their teams and do not suffer mediocrity lightly. Universally the flames burn white hot when their program is struggling.

But any student of the game, any elite coach or player, any media professional and even most casual fans understand that UF takes the negative energy a step beyond. We don’t even suffer winning well at times. It is the aura particularly associated with our program and it contributes to our misery. It’s all connected. We bemoan the questionable hires but fail to acknowledge the elite want no part of it.

I have come to like Dan Mullen. I hope to hell he wins 10 games this year. It would give him the window some think he already has. If he fails to do so his exit is sealed. He may not get fired for 2-3 years but the elite will not be attracted to the program and it’s just watching the sand pass through the hour glass.

I often mention how much I enjoy the games even as we have struggled. Attendance is sometimes down but the atmosphere inside the Swamp and along University Ave is unsurpassed. The typical student and even most alumni doesn’t have near the knowledge the vocal group has. They just enjoy themselves and celebrate. When we beat the sh*t out of our opponent next Saturday they are going to love it and think “we’re back”. The bars will be lit. The more knowledgeable but miserable will not because they know our recruiting ranking and that Georgia is going to beat us and they wont stop reminding us.

The dumpers as we call them are the ones that are right. Even the pumpers know the truth. We didn’t hire the next Saban. Our QB’s are unproven. Our recruiting is disappointing. Our roster is not the best. We have weaknesses. I don’t read even one pumper really disputing the facts as they are. As I read the pumpers I just see folks that love the university, love our teams, love the experience and offer full support and loyalty. But as long as we are not winning championships the others will let us and everyone else know why....and they will be right.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016

Dude that’s extreme, I would never chuck my phone over football. Next time throw a paper plate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator