37 years ago... Miracle in Lake Placid

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Feb 22nd 1980 -
I watched it after school and could not believe it.
If I'm not mistaken, it was on a tape delay? I could be wrong about that.
Still gets me every time watching us get past them to beat the Fins

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Unless my math is wrong, that's 37 years.

I'm using common core math ... (dammit!)

I should never believe fake news...

hockey.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Feb 22nd 1980 -

I think it was televised later that night. I happened to be driving from G'ville to the beach and listened to it live on the radio.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think it was televised later that night. I happened to be driving from G'ville to the beach and listened to it live on the radio.

That's right... I remember being as nervous as I am at Gator games.
I'm even uneasy watching the highlights ... despite the fact that I know we beat the Russians.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Great thread. SI names that upset as the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. Hard to argue but would be interested to hear if anyone else has others moments to consider.

Bobby Thompson? Jackie Robinson? Wilt's 100? Jesse Owens?

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I remember the intense nervousness and ultimate joy watching that game. IMHO it is the greatest upset victory in my lifetime so far; especially in light of the Soviets absolutely crushing the Americans just a few weeks earlier in a pre-Olympics exhibition match.

Other notable upsets:

- Namath and Jets beat mighty Colts in Super Bowl III for AFL's first victory over NFL.
- Soviets upset American basketball team in Munich with controversial last second basket.
- Serena Williams loss in US Open semi-final to unheralded Italian Roberta Vinci derailing SW's attempt to win 4 grand slams in a calendar year.
- Elvin Hayes and Houston Cougars snap Lew Alcindor and UCLA's 47 game win streak at Astrodome.
- Jim Valvano and NC State upset Phi Slamma Jamma in NCAA basketball final.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Lake, these are all great examples and yours are all big time events. The only one that was not was Chaminade beating #1 Virginia with Ralph Sampson, et al. With that being said the "Miracle on Ice" was the greatest upset in history of team sports. Two things. Hockey Experts say that if Soviet players could have played in the NHL then, that practically the entire Soviet team would have been in the NHL at that current time. The USA squad consisted on college players with a few guys who were deemed ok NHL prospects. Secondly, if I recall the two teams scrimmaged as a practice a few days prior to the semi-final game and the Soviets outscored the US something like 9-1 in that practice. Thank goodness the USA went on to win Gold otherwise that upset of the USSR might not have lived on like it has.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Watching it, I was a wreck. How could those US boys hold the lead? At that instant end, my emotion skyrocketed over
(viewing) the eruption of joy among our young, overworked athletes. The permanent writing of their names in the "Olympics' Forever Record Book".

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great thread. SI names that upset as the greatest sports moment of the 20th century. Hard to argue but would be interested to hear if anyone else has others moments to consider.

Bobby Thompson? Jackie Robinson? Wilt's 100? Jesse Owens?

Definitely the miracle on ice. However the Jesse Owens Olympics was probably one of the greatest moments ever.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The greatest Upset I ever saw in college football was Appalachian State over Michigan. It crushed that program and put them in the doldrums for over a decade.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Feb 22nd 1980 -

Almost as unfathomable as beating the great Soviet Union was that the game was on tape delay. smh. Still my most treasured sports moment of all time. Then USA beat Sweden for the gold. No letdown. Amazing.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Almost as unfathomable as beating the great Soviet Union was that the game was on tape delay. smh. Still my most treasured sports moment of all time. Then USA beat Sweden for the gold. No letdown. Amazing.

Totally agree - and I loved the movie too.
And not to drop a turd in our collective punch bowl, but it was Finland we beat for the gold.
We actually tied Sweden 2 - 2 earlier (Feb 12th).
USSR beat Sweden 9 - 2 to take the Silver, leaving Sweden with Bronze and Finland out of medal contention in fourth.

And now we send spoiled millionaires to represent us (although that's a pretty broad brush... so I apologize ahead of time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator