49ers legend Dwight Clark dies at 61

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
As a kid I watched a lot of NFL, not so much nowadays. Dwight Clark was one of the best.

Kelly Clark announces Dwight Clark has passed away

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...t-clark-has-passed-away/ar-AAydWHR?li=BBnb7Kz

Former San Francisco 49ers legend Dwight Clark has passed away at the age of 61, his wife, Kelly Clark, announced on Twitter Monday.

Clark had been battling ALS, a disease he formally announced he’d been diagnosed with last year in March in a letter that was published on DebartoloHoldings.com.

Former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo issued a touching statement on the passing of Clark on Monday afternoon.

Recently Clark, famous for hauling in “The Catch” during the 1981 NFC Championship Game, declared that he believed he contracted ALS due to the rigors of playing football.

Beloved by all who knew him, Clark will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For several years in the early 90's, Randy Scott (the father of Ian Scott) was my youth minister at my church in Gainesville. Randy was a star linebacker at Clemson in the late 70's and played with Dwight Clark. When I asked him about Clark, he chuckled and said Clark was "sorry". Evidently Clark sucked in college and no one at Clemson could believe he went on to become a star.

At that time, Ian Scott was a 12 year old who was about 3 times bigger than the other kids his age.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
For several years in the early 90's, Randy Scott (the father of Ian Scott) was my youth minister at my church in Gainesville. Randy was a star linebacker at Clemson in the late 70's and played with Dwight Clark. When I asked him about Clark, he chuckled and said Clark was "sorry". Evidently Clark sucked in college and no one at Clemson could believe he went on to become a star.

At that time, Ian Scott was a 12 year old who was about 3 times bigger than the other kids his age.

They talked about this on Golic & Wingo this morning. Said Clark only caught 11 passes his senior year.

The story goes Clark roomed with the Clemson quarterback at the time (name escapes me), and Walsh called to talk to the QB about watching him workout. Clark answered the phone and convinced Walsh to evaluate him during the workouts. He did, and Walsh picked Clark in the 10th round.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Clark answered the phone and convinced Walsh to evaluate him during the workouts. He did, and Walsh picked Clark in the 10th round.

What a story! It's amazing how life turns on moments like that.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
They talked about this on Golic & Wingo this morning. Said Clark only caught 11 passes his senior year.

The story goes Clark roomed with the Clemson quarterback at the time (name escapes me), and Walsh called to talk to the QB about watching him workout. Clark answered the phone and convinced Walsh to evaluate him during the workouts. He did, and Walsh picked Clark in the 10th round.
Unbelievable story! Its funny how things work out sometimes.

I was a big Cowboys fan back when Dwight Clark was a great receiver for the 49ers. When he caught that pass I was very upset. But things change and you grow and what happened to Dwight Clark passing away at the age of 61 from Lou Gehrig's disease could happen to any of us. Sad. Very sad. RIP Dwight Clark.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
SI had a great article last week about him and how Eddie DeBartolo got all the old players to come visit him for a party. And DeBartolo paid for it all and their airfare to get there. A good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator