97 UF vs FSU

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was such an amazing season, 1996 was, and such a talented team. That title game and the '94 basketball run were the two most amazing things I'd experienced as a Gator to that point. I think the 2006 title blew me away more because nobody expected it. They're all great. Just being in the thick of it is great. We need to get back. This dry spell has gone on far too long.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't say no one expected it. We got a proven DC who had just stuffed Nebraska with K State's talent. The Fiesta Bowl was horrible but we were within a TD around halftime when someone figured out we couldn't cover the QB on the option. We were returning pretty much everyone except Batesy and Doering from a great team. The fab five would be juniors (except Quezzie shirted) and Wuerrfel was Wuerrfel. It did bother me that Kresser left. I was afraid Danny might get hurt. Our backfield was stacked.

I fully expected. Everyone I knew we'd battle for the championship. I never even considered that we weren't the best team in the SEC.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n30933 said:
I wouldn't say no one expected it. We got a proven DC who had just stuffed Nebraska with K State's talent. The Fiesta Bowl was horrible but we were within a TD around halftime when someone figured out we couldn't cover the QB on the option. We were returning pretty much everyone except Batesy and Doering from a great team. The fab five would be juniors (except Quezzie shirted) and Wuerrfel was Wuerrfel. It did bother me that Kresser left. I was afraid Danny might get hurt. Our backfield was stacked.

I fully expected. Everyone I knew we'd battle for the championship. I never even considered that we weren't the best team in the SEC.

You misunderstood me, Law. Meant 2006 when I said no one expected it.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite after this game..."Bobby Bowden rushed to the hospital...his blood pressure dropped to 50/20".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n30816 said:
Danny was a freaking stud - totally unflappable under pressure.
And man our OL SUCKED. It's hard to imagine how he threw for 11,000 yards and 114 TDs behind that line.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n30834 said:
Lifetime scoreboard game. Think about it, how many times have legit, big time college football rivals played with a national title on the line? I can't recall Bama-Auburn, FSU-Miami, Oklanhoma-Texas, Ohio State-Michigan, etc, ever playing a game knowing that it's for the national title. Maybe it happened throughout the ages, but certainly not in modern college football. Re-watching this game, it's so blatantly obvious that Spurrier and his staff thoroughly out-coached FSU's staff.

It's also blatantly obvious what a piece of shihiiit Bowden and Fat Frog were.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
You misunderstood me, Law. Meant 2006 when I said no one expected it.
Sorry, skimming again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator