A Few More Thoughts On Why We Are Where We Are...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, your opinions are always knowledgeable ans insightful, and I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on in all programs that we do not know about. But I tend to watch games with two objective eyes and it usually does not take me very long to determine whether a guy has IT or not when it comes to being a good HC. I judge it on Game Management, which includes clock management, play calling (on both sides of ball based on situation), fundamentals, improvement, risk/reward, etc. I noticed early on last year that Butters sux at Game Management. And it continued Saturday against ARK, on our very 1st offensive play from scrimmage. We have it 1st and 10 on our on 10 yd. line. We go 5-wide, and basically all 5 guys ran 5-yd. stick routes (or button hooks, or little slants, whatever you call it). The point I am making is that you are running a pass play where you have all your receivers at the same level, near your own endzone. ARK (coached by Bieliema), is notorious for being a zone coach/team and always a safety who never gets beat deep (he coached Jim Leonard who was never out of position at WISC). ARK is not going to press there so they are sitting in zone meaning there is going to be traffic almost everywhere. Now I am not blaming the coach for the INT, I am not blaming the QB for the INT, I am not blaming the WR for the INT!!!. My point is that is quite a high risk play in that part of the field (vs. being near midfield), for say a 5 yd. gain. It is not the result of the play (INT for TD) that made it a bad call, but just the play itself. If you throw there you have to throw short safe(i.e. sideline), or throw long. To me it was a case where they had obviously scripted the first 12 or 15 plays from scrimmage (many coaches do this), however you have to be able to adjust based on the situation/field position, etc. It is clear this was going to be the first play from scrimmage regardless. This and many other examples I can cite over the 2 years tell me that Butters BLOWS and will continue to BLOW!!!!!!!!
Agreed, poor call against a zone. Of course, if they were expecting a different coverage it would stand to reason that there would be an audible to counter, or at the very least, a conversion call on at least one route. But there again, if that is in place (and it is common) you have to have the QB on the same page to make the change. I'm at least as pissed that we seem to think that throwing often on first down is superior strategy that makes us hard to figure out :facepalm:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our offensive guru ain't working,
Fan, my brother, Mac was never an offensive guru.

Did you watch the LSU Bammer 9-6 stupidfest and think you were watching a guru? Gurus don't go 21-17 in the MWC. Gurus don't hire Nusschamp.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But are we sure the Mac is not raising Cain behind the scenes? I don't know I don't see it in the press conferences and when he is interviewed on game days. ????? Who knows???
If he is, I don't think he's very good at it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he is, I don't think he's very good at it.
I asked this earlier and got no response?

What IS he good at? Chimp was at least good at recruiting DBs, DBs, DBs and a few DEs. Nothing else but he was good at that.

Butters? I got nuthin'.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

What IS he good at? Chimp was at least good at recruiting DBs, DBs, DBs and a few DEs. Nothing else but he was good at that.

Butters? I got nuthin'.
Makes a helluva PB&J....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In seriousness though... A few months ago people were praising him to demanding Foley provide more support staff and facility upgrades... So there's that, I gues. That and the PB&Js.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Butters? I got nuthin'.

I think he recruited a few good RB's and WR's, but I'm really reaching to compliment him. From Jan 1st on, 2016 has been pretty bad for Gator football.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Since we're talking about coaching... is Randy Shannon still with us? What does he do?

Besides collect a paycheck.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me say one more thing about Mac...I think he's a good guy, a nice guy and his care for the players is genuine. These are his strong suits. His strengths need to be elsewhere as the HC. We had an old coach that was retired but still used to hang around the program when I was nearing the end of my coaching. He'd tell you what he thought if you asked him. Our DB coach at the beginning of a season that would see us get mauled had a group that was smart and of good character, but was also weak, slow, and unathletic. The old coach was watching the DB drills during preseason and at one of the breaks, the young DB coach asked him what he thought of his group. He replied " You've got some nice kids that work really hard. They're good boys, but good boys will get your ass beat!" He was right and the same applies to nice guys coaching.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After walking out of BHG after the Ole miss game last season I felt we were on the right path. That we had a staff that could utilize our talent,
and contend for championships. A lot of things have change since then. We have skated by patsies like Vandy and FAU. Been obliterated by a number of teams at neutral sites, away , and at home. I would like to see Mac with one of the young signal callers before making a final decision. The biggest problem at the moment is QB play. We have other issues such as OC and recruiting. I would like to see Nuss go up to the booth the last few games before giving him the heave ho. Obviously him being on the sideline isn't working. There are a few minor adjustments we can make both during the week at practice, and during the game that can help. SC isn't very good defending the run, so i'm expecting the game plan to be featured around the backs and the OL getting a push. Maybe a few jets to Callaway and BP to slow down backside pursuit. I'm expecting 40-45 rushes and 20-25 pass attempts. This should be a double digit victory for us.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We should be passing when they're not ready for it, but we're passing when we're
not ready for it ??

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Whether some want to admit it or it, we lost our way on a cold night in Atlanta in December 2009, when we sheepishly decided that we weren't going to be the Florida Gators any more, but rather, just another team looking up in admiration at the top.

All my life, we were different. Despite being a southern state and charter member of the conference, we were never the prototypical SEC school or fanbase, nor did we want to be. We were the Florida Gators, a team that always displayed a cavalier attitude and sense of ultimate confidence, warranted or not.

Spurrier embodied that as a player, and then took it to an entirely different level as a coach. When conventional wisdom was to run the ball on 1st and goal from the 4, we threw. When other teams let off the gas at 24-10, we ran it up. When programs wanted so badly to fit inside the predetermined box, we happily and confidently scoffed at the notion. He knew what he wanted to do, and knew he had the athletes locally that could see his vision through. It worked.

While Zook's years were a disappointment, even he didn't try to completely abandon that mindset. Much of our success in '05-'08 was due to his staying with the vision.

And of course, Meyer built upon that foundation, introducing his own variation of offense that--once fully manned--wowed and excited, keeping in tradition with what UF had always been. Once again, we were the team that broke molds and did it our own way.

And then one fateful night, just like that, it was over. And not because it had to be. But because we decided--based on one game--that we simply couldn't go on being UF, but needed to conform to someone else's identity. And so it ended. No longer the UF team loaded with speed and athleticism that did things a little differently(winning a ton of games in the process), we tried to become like other programs, insistent that it was the only way to win going forward.

Fans railed at the staff, and predicted we'd never see another player like Tebow who could effectively run a spread/RPO offense. We purged players that didn't fit, hired coaches that were a complete opposite of what UF had always done well, and tried to be something we aren't. It's that simple.

Even under more of an offensive guy, we are bland, obvious and without anything that entices players to want to join. Our best play last year was a buttonhook, one of the most basic plays you learn at the age of 5. Meanwhile, in the ultimate troll job, Alabama and Saban have liberally adapted their approach and are one of the more entertaining teams to watch.

We lost ourselves that night, and have wandered the wilderness of mediocrity ever since. It will likely take a serious shift in staff and overall program mindset to recover and, unfortunately, I don't see it on the immediate horizon.

Jun 2, 2015
Very true about Mac as a person and a coach. But how did we end up with guys like Muschamp and Mac in the first place.

IMO, after the "win at all cost", and subsequent "broken program" of the Meyer years there was a conscious effort made by the administration to clean the football program up. That was the main direction given to Chump and what he claimed he did upon his departure. I think that is Mac's main task as well.

The administration at UF is much more concerned with the Academics and has made UF into a top tier university. They are no longer concerned with how well the football team is. Only that it doesn't give the school a black eye with dumb athletes getting arrested. My opinion is we have made a turn in this direction and it will make it much harder to compete for championships because our Academics standards will not allow us to get the type of players we used to get. Donna Shalala did this when she took over at Miami and you see how it has affected them We will be much more like Stanford, GT, or Note Dame.

Maybe we'll have competitive years every now and then but we'll never be on par with Alabama, FSU, Clemson or even Ol' Miss with the type of players we're willing to accept. I'm learning to accept that at least I lived through the Gators glory years. It's some our children and grandchildren will have to read about.

GatorTag, I feel your pain and you hit the nail on the head. Miami and UF academic standards are much higher than Alabama, FSU and Ol'Miss (not sure about Clemson) and that is one of the reasons FSU has been beating both of us for the last few years, plus the fact that they have had consistent good coaching and we have had sub-standard coaching. Good grief, you don't hardly have to know how to write your name to get into Alabama. I know you generally give a coach 4 years or so, but like us with Golden, we knew by the 3rd year and only prolonged our misery "hoping" for improvement. At least our new president supports the program and stays out of the way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since we're sharing opinions, I'll jump in.......

I think the single trait that can make a Coach Great is stubbornness! Having absolute faith that your way is the best way. All the Greats have this, Lombardy, Shula, Spurrier, etc........ Being able to stay focused when everyone is demanding change is a Talent that most don't have but that same stubbornness can be the kiss of death if you can't get your players to "Buy in" or you don't have the talent to implement your scheme.

When Saban got to Alabama, he didn't have the All World System he has now but he went out and got the Talent to compete. It's a process (even though many don't like that word) and the Great Coaches recognize their weaknesses and work to plug the gaps. Meyer did it here, Saban does it at Bama and Belichick may be the best ever at turning weakness into strength.

Muschamp was/is stubborn but he is damned by his inability to recognize his own weakness and unfortunately Mac seems to cut from the same cloth.

Great co-coordinators don't necessarily make Great Head Coaches.

Bottom line; Stubbornness can be a great trait if it's coupled with the ability to recognize shortcomings and then, fix them!
If not, failure is inevitable.

ie: Shula at Bama, Rodriquez at Michigan, Davis at Miami, Kiffin at UT, Kiffin at USC, etc.....

Great Schemes are useless without the proper players! (Quantity and Quality)

Yep the talent issue will assure Mac doesnt bring us back to the top with his recruiting problems. We arent in worse shape record wise only because the East is so down right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator