Aaron Hernandez is "Mr. July" in 2014 UF calendar

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator said:
Since it was approved before he was even arrested, and a 3rd party printed it, I wonder what UF could have done, other than express their "displeasure." After he was arrested, it was probably already off of the Athletic Association's "radar," so to speak. What's more important is that officially, he's been made persona non grata at UF - his All-American marker was quite publicly removed.

However, was his Mackey Award trophy removed from the Hevener football complex (the hall where such trophies, including the three Heisman's are displayed)? Were his stats erased from the record book, a la Vernon Maxwell? I don't know about those two things.
Wouldn't the difference be that Maxwell accepted money and snotted concaine while a student/athlete at Florida. As far as the facts have it right now, Hernandez's crimes are after his time at Florida. Now if that changes and his eligibility comes into question that is another issue.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
78, even if Hernandez, committed crimes (not NCAA violations) while at UF, and we don't even know that now, then they wouldn't be the same (NCAA violations) as Maxwell committed, which voided his stats. Still don't know about his Mackey trophy, where it is, etc, esp. since I haven't been in Hevener Hall since the Alumni Assoc Leaders' Weekend group (I'm a chapter officer) wnet through it right after it opened. But I imagine that while the truly public item, the always-on-display "brick" (it's not a "brick", it was a concrete marker) honoring him as a 1st Team AA was removed, I bet the trophy, which is not seen by many, has not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator said:
78, even if Hernandez, committed crimes (not NCAA violations) while at UF, and we don't even know that now, then they wouldn't be the same (NCAA violations) as Maxwell committed, which voided his stats. Still don't know about his Mackey trophy, where it is, etc, esp. since I haven't been in Hevener Hall since the Alumni Assoc Leaders' Weekend group (I'm a chapter officer) wnet through it right after it opened. But I imagine that while the truly public item, the always-on-display "brick" (it's not a "brick", it was a concrete marker) honoring him as a 1st Team AA was removed, I bet the trophy, which is not seen by many, has not.
The marker was a public show. The trophy and his stats will remain because he was never ruled ineligible. As you said, we don't know if anything happened while at Florida, but we do know that currently we do know he has been accused from two different murders as a Patriot. So his stats and trophy shouldn't be effected.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
I think I read somewhere yesterday he was on the Patriot's calendar as well. The article claimed the calendars were done before he was arrested. Still, looks like someone dropped the ball for both ball clubs by not reviewing them before actual distribution.
It would only matter if these weren't distributed until recently. Considering it's now July of 2014, I'm doubtful this is a recent distribution. These would have been approved and available sometime in early to mid 2013, just as you can go out right now and get a 2015 calendar in most cases.

Anything on the shelves still, you could probably argue could/should be pulled, however what's already in circulation well in advance is in circulation, and this really is a non story on many different levels.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
I think I read somewhere yesterday he was on the Patriot's calendar as well. The article claimed the calendars were done before he was arrested. Still, looks like someone dropped the ball for both ball clubs by not reviewing them before actual distribution.
URGatorBait,
I think part of the issue is that Target was still selling the calendars through January 2014. But it truly is a non-issue.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
He was a "killer" tight end...:rimshot:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not much UF could've done. Even if they did know. Bad press and the media. If its out there, they're gonna share it. And if UF does business (or did) I would think that company that printed them woulda/shoulda caught that too. They knew exactly what they were doing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
… The fireworks month. Flip him off in 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator