AD Search Committee

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Just saw the background on the 8-member search committee.

At first review, not impressed. Five of the 8 are academians. Fernandez appears a solid choice to lead but why not more savvy, pragmatic businesspeople instead of the ivory tower.

What say y'all?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

At first review, not impressed. Five of the 8 are academians. Fernandez appears a solid choice to lead but why not more savvy, pragmatic businesspeople instead of the ivory tower.

What say y'all?
Link?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly have no opinion on this. Hope they get a good one who wants to open up the pocketbook for quality coaches.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Appears to me that all have or have had ties to the UAA with the exception of two. Plus, it doesn't say that they will make the selection...they will develop a list of candidates.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Rubber stamp for Foley's choice, nothing more.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

What say y'all?

Odd, I see 1 or maybe 1.5 academics on the committee. I do see concerns about this group and whether they are a group someone with stature would subject themselves to, but academic they are for the most part NOT.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Read the article again. Five of the eight on the search committee are faculty.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Read the article again. Five of the eight on the search committee are faculty.

You need to reread the committee members this time with your eyes open. You claimed that 5 of the 8 were academics.

You were in fact counting a fund raisers who is likely on there because he knows UF's donor base. You counted an idiot Dean who is certainly not an academic. You counted a VP of teaching and technology that describes himself as an army aviator who is certainly not an academic. You counted a chair of a department who might count as .5 academic. Then there was one faculty member.

University administrators are more often failed academics than academics. Holding a faculty appointment is merely a perk they get. Often the reason they became administrators is they are NOT academics.

hop&skipnorth

Jun 4, 2016
The old saying of "Those who can, do. Those that can't, teach." From what I've seen in the colleges and universities lately they don't teach anymore, they indoctrinate. So if there's even one "scholar" on the panel that's one too many.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
As an academic, I'd count four of the eight as academics, and contrary to Instagator1's comment, those deans and assistant provosts are 'real' academics. At really large research institutions like UF, you rarely are selected as a dean or provost unless you've already had a substantial career full of publications, otherwise the faculty won't respect your leadership. Abernathy has published over 500 articles in her field (though certainly many of those were published with colleagues), so it is her success in publication that was part of the reason she was selected. I had Virginia Maurer when I was in the MBA program and found her to be thoughtful and articulate. Andy McCullough has been with the College of Business for years and also had a substantial publication background, as well as a reputation for being a great teacher. Michael Sagas also has a substantial publication background. So all four of them would count as academics in my book. Tom Mitchell would not, because, as others have noted, he is a fundraiser. And since Gator Boosters report to the UF Foundation and the AD, it makes sense for him to be on the committee -- fundraising is just part of the AD business.

UF is, after all, an academic institution so it makes sense to have faculty involvement at the highest levels (we have a name for places that don't care about academics -- FSU), but notice that Maurer and Sagas have already been involved in the athletic program at high levels, so they bring some experience and understanding of the program (and in the case of Sagas, national and SEC expertise).

And while there is some professors who "indoctrinate", you tend to find those more in the liberal arts than in the business, engineering, and health&human performance colleges. All told, it seems to me that they've got a nicely balanced search committee that mixes both expertise and broad representation of important constituencies.

So they'll probably screw it up.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Without an executive search firm we will have a very limited applicant pool due to Florida sunshine laws. Headhunters operate in the background for a very good reason. Of course, they are not necessary if you already have your man.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As an academic, I'd count four of the eight as academics, and contrary to Instagator1's comment, those deans and assistant provosts are 'real' academics. At really large research institutions like UF, you rarely are selected as a dean or provost unless you've already had a substantial career full of publications, otherwise the faculty won't respect your leadership. Abernathy has published over 500 articles in her field (though certainly many of those were published with colleagues), so it is her success in publication that was part of the reason she was selected. I had Virginia Maurer when I was in the MBA program and found her to be thoughtful and articulate. Andy McCullough has been with the College of Business for years and also had a substantial publication background, as well as a reputation for being a great teacher. Michael Sagas also has a substantial publication background. So all four of them would count as academics in my book. Tom Mitchell would not, because, as others have noted, he is a fundraiser. And since Gator Boosters report to the UF Foundation and the AD, it makes sense for him to be on the committee -- fundraising is just part of the AD business.

UF is, after all, an academic institution so it makes sense to have faculty involvement at the highest levels (we have a name for places that don't care about academics -- FSU), but notice that Maurer and Sagas have already been involved in the athletic program at high levels, so they bring some experience and understanding of the program (and in the case of Sagas, national and SEC expertise).

And while there is some professors who "indoctrinate", you tend to find those more in the liberal arts than in the business, engineering, and health&human performance colleges. All told, it seems to me that they've got a nicely balanced search committee that mixes both expertise and broad representation of important constituencies.

So they'll probably screw it up.

Well all universities even highly ranked ones have people who go into administration because they are not academics. I can think of one UF dean who is not on this committee who has a very thin academic CV. I am particularly down on the Engineering Dean on the committee because she is the one who got UF on the front page of the Chronicle for trying to delete the computer science major. When the economics PhD program issue also got UF on the front page of the Chronicle, it became apparent that the problem at UF was funding silos. I hope that issue has been solved and departments that serve students from various colleges are not being maltreated by deans any more.

I said 1.5 committee members were academics, you say 4, I would say we could be iterating towards the correct number. As for them screwing it up, they probably will not have a chance and the is safe candidate unless a star from elsewhere seeks the job, someone like maybe the Stanford AD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.