AJC: New details emerge regarding McElwain’s struggles with running the Florida program

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Mac when a player doesn’t spread the peanut butter to the crust:

View attachment 8462

Mac when a player misses a workout:

:mac:

(Side note- where did the passion from the first gif go?)

I was always perplexed by this.. I thought Foley may have sat Mac down and talked to him after this game... :dunno:

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
I think the signs about the S & C program have been there for a long time. Remember this thread from the 2016 pro day, when Mason Halter only benched 225 9 times? https://www.gatorchatter.com/threads/uf-pro-day.8159/#post-289062 Look at some of those other times and reps. And remember how poorly Teez Tabor did in his workout last year? They didn't just cost us wins, but they also cost some of these players millions of dollars.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I think the signs about the S & C program have been there for a long time. Remember this thread from the 2016 pro day, when Mason Halter only benched 225 9 times? https://www.gatorchatter.com/threads/uf-pro-day.8159/#post-289062 Look at some of those other times and reps. And remember how poorly Teez Tabor did in his workout last year? They didn't just cost us wins, but they also cost some of these players millions of dollars.
Good Points... I do remember these now...

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It is quite obvious to almost everyone (not just Gator fans) than McElwain's mind was elsewhere during his time at UF. Just where it was is anybody's guess. Maybe he was so overwhelmed by it all, he just checked out mentally rather than trying to get a grip on things. This led to an "inmates running the asylum" scenario and could very well explain all the off the field trouble and maybe even his claim of "death threats."

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
It is quite obvious to almost everyone (not just Gator fans) than McElwain's mind was elsewhere during his time at UF. Just where it was is anybody's guess. Maybe he was so overwhelmed by it all, he just checked out mentally rather than trying to get a grip on things. This led to an "inmates running the asylum" scenario and could very well explain all the off the field trouble and maybe even his claim of "death threats."
Agreed with all the above.

Today's Dooley article about how difficult it will be to get up to 85 scholarship players after the Mc era is more evidence he checked out. I remember wondering why we were so far from the max number of scholarships the last few years. He was simply lazy.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
A little different from the article but I have read that high school coaches and prospects have been critical of Mac's "lack of organization" at UF football camps. Don't know if it is true or not. One thing is for certain is he had no attention to detail. The fact our OL looked clueless against the Michigan front after 9 months of practice was a dead giveaway.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A little different from the article but I have read that high school coaches and prospects have been critical of Mac's "lack of organization" at UF football camps. Don't know if it is true or not. One thing is for certain is he had no attention to detail. The fact our OL looked clueless against the Michigan front after 9 months of practice was a dead giveaway.
Hero-Charles-Ramsey-Dead-Giveaway-Reaction-Gif.gif

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Not sure what your post is saying. Seems to me a lot of the angst against Grier was because it would seem stupid to go out on your own to try and bulk up, when you supposedly have a whole fitness and nutrition staff right there at your disposal to give you anything you need. Well now we see that Grier wasn't the only guy to feel the need to go outside the system to get competitive. Lots of folks here have pointed the finger just as much at Butters as Grier for this screwup, and this AJC article would seem to back up that opinion.
My post was just a joke. I was pissed at Grier at first for taking something that wasn't given to him by our training staff but I got over that a long time ago. I believe it was his dad's fault he's not currently a Gator if he really did try to make Mac commit to Will being the starter after returning from suspension, I would have told his dad to F off too. This new info regarding Mac's training staff does shine a whole new light on the Grier situation though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed with all the above.

Today's Dooley article about how difficult it will be to get up to 85 scholarship players after the Mc era is more evidence he checked out. I remember wondering why we were so far from the max number of scholarships the last few years. He was simply lazy.
Fooley was a big part. These ridiculous 4 year guaranteed schollies in particular and complete aversion to oversigning KNOWING that there will always be attrition in the spring and summer along with early exits to the NFL.

We were one of the dumbest admins in the NCAA.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Fooley was a big part. These ridiculous 4 year guaranteed schollies in particular and complete aversion to oversigning KNOWING that there will always be attrition in the spring and summer along with early exits to the NFL.

We were one of the dumbest admins in the NCAA.
You got that right. One of the dumbest admins. What did we have 3-4 years with a depleted roster over scholarships? Was Foley trying to skimp there as well? His skimping on coaches trying to find a diamond in the rough cost the Gators millions. Every time I see someone jumping over tens of thousands of dollars to save pennies it infuriates me. While watching the Gators on TV sucked, at least I didn't renew my tickets for 2016 or 2017. If I had I would be in a whole other world of pissed.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
With Foley it felt like we were constantly on probation. I think he wanted us at 85 or under at signing day. Now compare that to Alabama who are told get to 85 when the season started. We should be allowed to over sign and work out the numbers later. We know that a few of the dumbass 9 are not coming back and there will be attrition during spring conditioning. As ruthless as it sounds no one should be on a guaranteed 4 yr scholarship. It just adds complacency to a team that was full of it.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice article, but I don't need to read it. The product Mac produced on the field already told me he had no business running anything more complex than a hot dog stand.
I would not eat at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.