Alabama baseball coach threatens to pull players’ scholarships, gets fired

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is great. The guy gets fired for threatening to take or reduce scholarships.....and Saban does that on a yearly basis!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...scholarships-gets-fired/ar-BBBv0VZ?li=BBnba9I

Alabama baseball coach threatens to pull players’ scholarships, gets fired

The SEC loves to talk about karma, and one of its coaches got a big ol’ dose Wednesday.

In his first season as Alabama’s baseball coach, Greg Goff led his program to its worst record since 1980. After the season, in exit interviews with players, Goff reportedly told at least 10 of them that they would have their scholarships cancelled or reduced.

Players were informed of Goff’s decision to cut their scholarships during exit interviews on Monday after UA’s season concluded on Saturday with a 3-3 tie at Vanderbilt.

Some draft-eligible players were told they could return and have a roster spot, but were not guaranteed any scholarship money. Some walk-on players, including several who contributed during the season, were told they could try out for next year’s team again during practice this coming fall but were not guaranteed to retain their roster spots.

That is a very clear violation of NCAA rules. Coaches cannot pull scholarships based on athletic ability. They often do in veiled ways and get away with it (hello, Alabama football coach Nick Saban), but they can’t come right out and say that’s the reason. But Goff did anyway.

The Tuscaloosa News then received a statement from athletic director Greg Byrne stating that they would not be openly breaking NCAA rules.

“As with any situation, the University of Alabama will follow NCAA guidelines. We are not revoking scholarships,” the statement said.

One day later, the newspapers reports that Goff has been fired.

Often times, it pays to be a jerk in college sports. You just can’t be this obvious about it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I still can't believe a guy as highly touted as Jarez Parks was willing to take a greyshirt to go to Alabama over going anywhere else for a full immediate scholarship.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I still can't believe a guy as highly touted as Jarez Parks was willing to take a greyshirt to go to Alabama over going anywhere else for a full immediate scholarship.

Don't get me started!! What a total joke!

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

To get better prepared for the NFL? I don't know. Sounds plausible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator