An upgrade, finally!

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by pilot-in-fla, Oct 13, 2017.

1. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $73
    Ratings:
    +3,848 / -67
    My Note Edge died a few month ago -- in fact, a few months before it was paid off on the 30 month AT&T plan. Since then, I've been using Alcatel 4060A which is a smaller phone about the size of an iPhone 4 but which doesn't have a lot of memory, a bad camera and isn't very fast.

So, it was past time for a change. I got a prepaid Verizon phone and a loaner from T-Mobile and set out to do some testing. In the area I live and where I travel, AT&T was clearly in last place. Verizon seemed a bit better but the T-Mobile service was more than sufficient.

With T-Mobile offering a BOGO on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the Unlimited 55+ deal for $60 per month (2 lines), making the change to T-Mobile was a no-brainer.

2. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $570
    Ratings:
    +6,400 / -45
    I left T-Mobile two years and returned to Verizon because of the network. I'd consider returning if I could be reassured it was better. T-Mobile customer service is actually pretty good and the product is quite a bit cheaper.

3. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $73
    Ratings:
    +3,848 / -67
    My industry friend tells me that, when the AT&T purchase of T-Mobile fell through, AT&T had to make a payment of some $2 billion plus provide T-Mobile with some spectrum. He believe that is why in this area (Citrus County), AT&T's service has declined while T-Mobile has improved.

My testing showed Verizon was still slightly better than T-Mobile but not enough to justify the huge cost difference. T-Mobile gave me a loaner phone for a week (I paid a $50 refundable deposit) and I made my decision based on a lot of testing.

4. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $570
    Ratings:
    +6,400 / -45
    I imagine it's only a matter of time before Verizon realizes it has to make its prices more competitive to maintain its market share. If not, people will jump ship.

5. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $73
    Ratings:
    +3,848 / -67
    Another big difference between T-Mobile and Verizon and AT&T is that T-Mobile quotes you the rates that are actually charged whereas the other carriers only give you a "net" rate that excludes taxes and all sorts of fees that can only be fairly called extra profit.

For example, I added a Samsung Gear watch to me account and was quoted a rate of $10/mo. Turns out that $10 was really $14.36 -- over 40% more.

On the plan I had, it was an additional $25 to add another line -- well, that ended up being over $30.