Another Opportunity Cost of the Muschamp Era

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
I barely watch the NFL. I love college football. The 18 – 22 age range is huge in mental and physical development, and the college game reflects that. We’re always treated to a stunning performance by a kid who never did “that” before, whatever “that” is. We get to watch guys with potential become guys who are amazing.

That’s why this WM tenure is so sickening. Lost opportunities. Lost potential. We can gripe about the revenue loss at the UAA, the awful product on the field, the loss of entertainment value, etc. But, if even one kid who chose Florida meets a career dead end because of lack of development, that, to me, is the worst offense of the Muschamp era.

Of course there is no way to know the answer, but who doesn’t think some kid has lost an NFL career because of this coach and this product on the field?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, careers ruined. We usually have 6-10 kids that make the NFL every year.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Ray Finkle;n87641 said:
Can you name one guy that has missed out because of him?

Of course not, it is unknowable. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. There has been no player development and players have missed out on national attention by being on an unranked team for nearly two years in a row. What they got in their college experience is not why they became Gators.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Ray Finkle;n87649 said:
It's unknowable but still seems like something we should blame Muschamp for. Got it.

Just because a player can't be identified by name, doesn't mean a whole group of young players did not reach their potential. If that's okay with you, then fine. It isn't how I want my fellow lettermen to be supported by my alma mater.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
HogtownGator;87651 said:
Ray Finkle;n87649 said:
It's unknowable but still seems like something we should blame Muschamp for. Got it.
Just because a player can't be identified by name, doesn't mean a whole group of young players did not reach their potential. If that's okay with you, then fine. It isn't how I want my fellow lettermen to be supported by my alma mater.
Should Burton have made an NFL roster? That one you could argue was given a chance because of WM. Frankie Hanmond and Patton are other guys I never viewed as guys that would sniff the nfl, but did. This is one area where you can actually attribute the state of the program when WM took over and place the theoretical blame here on Urban

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Ray Finkle;n87661 said:
Should Burton have made an NFL roster? That one you could argue was given a chance because of WM. Frankie Hanmond and Patton are other guys I never viewed as guys that would sniff the nfl, but did. This is one area where you can actually attribute the state of the program when WM took over and place the theoretical blame here on Urban

Players regressing, we're 2 plays away from being 1-5, we have been unranked since this time last year, and ZERO possibility of breaking top 25 in sight. Yeah, totally on Urbs, bro.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Meyer still getting blame? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysterical. Thanks for the laugh.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n87670 said:
Players regressing, we're 2 plays away from being 1-5, we have been unranked since this time last year, and ZERO possibility of breaking top 25 in sight. Yeah, totally on Urbs, bro.

I think it is a bigger function offensively of poor recruiting. These guys aren't that good. There is no leadership and nobody is making plays. The WRs can't catch the ball. While a lot of our problem is coaching at some point... players need to step up also .

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
So the transfers and lack of a first class from the last coaching change is on WM? He is on his fourth year. Last draft was the first time his guys could be drafted. Why is that laughable? That is just fact.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87703 said:
He is on his fourth year.

Exactly, he owns it all at this point. NO MORE EXCUSES OR BLAME ON ANYONE BUT CHAMP & FOLEY.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n87710 said:
Exactly, he owns it all at this point. NO MORE EXCUSES OR BLAME ON ANYONE BUT CHAMP & FOLEY.

But since we are talking about past players, then it is not all on Muschamp.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really buy that players with NFL talent have not been found by the NFL. What I do see is that younger people are not getting to be Gator fans and this will effect our brand in the future. I remember when we were not a brand and things both in sports and academics both.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
T REX;n87710 said:
I did not say we could blame him anymore. I was referring to the past several drafts of WM's stay here. When most of Meyer's players bail, beat women, smoke weed by the pound, murder people, and like to fall asleep at traffic lights it is hard to set that straight in a year or two.

Oh, and I do not think Foley has a background for player development.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
I would say John Brantley and Jeff Driskel had NFL potential when they arrived. Muschamp has certainly not helped in their development.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
KCgator;n87720 said:
I would say John Brantley and Jeff Driskel had NFL potential when they arrived. Muschamp has certainly not helped in their development.
Hey now. All the JD/WM haters said if Spurrier was the coach he would have recognized from the get go that JD sucked and would have never played him. Can't have it both ways. And Brantley's issues fall on Urban.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n87720 said:

Muschamp had addazio who made Brantley run the option at Alabama? Who knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.