Another questionable Saban tactic?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I wasn't aware that anyone but CURRENT PLAYERS could participate in practices. Saban brings in FORMER Alabama QB Blake Sims to play scout team QB in preparation for Texas A&M:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...k-helping-prepare-for-texas-ams-trevor-knight

Former Alabama QB Blake Sims played scout team this week, helping prepare for Texas A&M’s Trevor Knight

Blake Sims was back at Alabama on Saturday morning for ESPN’s College GameDay. But that wasn’t the first time the former Crimson Tide quarterback was in Tuscaloosa this week.

Sims said on the show that he went to Alabama practice this week to serve as scout team quarterback, helping the Crimson Tide’s defense prepare for Texas A&M QB Trevor Knight.

Knight is one of only two active quarterbacks to beat Alabama,
as he did so in the 2014 Sugar Bowl while playing for Oklahoma. So it makes sense why the Crimson Tide would want to make sure to be prepared for the dual-threat QB this time around.

Sims was Alabama’s starting quarterback in 2014. He threw for 3,487 yards and 28 touchdowns, also rushing for 350 yards and seven scores. Sims went on to play briefly in the Canadian Football League and was on the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad for a short time last month.

Not only did Sims appear on College GameDay on Saturday. He did so in full uniform. Take a look:

CvYMEcHWIAAozwg.jpg:small

Follow

Kurt Stadelman @KurtStadelman
This is a whole new level of washed. Blake Sims in full pads for his@CollegeGameDay appearance.

10:13 AM - 22 Oct 2016

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Am I right that you are only limited to the # of scholarship players. You could have 300 on the scout team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Am I right that you are only limited to the # of scholarship players. You could have 300 on the scout team.

No, you can only have 105 players on the team (85 on scholarship). But this kid has graduated and played pro football. He's not a student or current player at Alabama. How is he allowed to come in and play on the scout team? I could see him "consulting", but even then the "analyst" positions are not allowed to do "on field coaching". This is a new one for me, which is why I posted it up.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No, you can only have 105 players on the team (85 on scholarship). But this kid has graduated and played pro football. He's not a student or current player at Alabama. How is he allowed to come in and play on the scout team? I could see him "consulting", but even then the "analyst" positions are not allowed to do "on field coaching". This is a new one for me, which is why I posted it up.
Good question. Leave it to Saban to figure out a loophole. Or for the SEC offices to look the other way.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder if it takes a complaint for the SEC to do something. Maybe everyone is afraid to piss off Saban.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Saban's bull-headed brilliance has an illegalish component. Has this ever been thought of before ?
Heard Saban's bringing in a Bama alumnus to ref the game ... he'll be responsible for calling the
holding penalties.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
All I got out of this thread is that the sims kid is really pathetic, and that Samantha chic looks mildly retarded.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Everyone knows (or should by now) that Bama has a different set of rules than everyone else in the SEC and them being allowed to bring in an Ex-NFL QB (to run scout team) is just another prime example of it!

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Legal under NCAA rules. Alumni are allowed to participate in practice with the knowlege and permission of NCAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.