Another Thursday NFL game

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another ridiculous, unwatchable blowout.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like no one can even show up on the road.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Seriously? I'm watching Christian Ponder and I HAVE to ask the question. How is he playing and Tebow isn't? Ponder isn't the only one either. There are some really bad QB's this year and TNF seems to be the place to put them on display.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n67254 said:
Seriously? I'm watching Christian Ponder and I HAVE to ask the question. How is he playing and Tebow isn't? Ponder isn't the only one either. There are some really bad QB's this year and TNF seems to be the place to put them on display.

Below 50% completion rate is a great place to start.

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Watching this game and Minnesota in particular I'm reminded of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer's first head coach, John Mckay, and his famous quip after the first pre-season game for the franchise: "Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling."

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n67257 said:

And your point? Peyton Manning in his first year as a starter threw more INT's than TD's with a completion rate of 56% and a QB rating of 71.2 with a 3 - 13 record. Tebow as a starter for the Broncos had 12 TD's to 6 INT's with a passing completion rate of 47% and a QB rating of 72.9 with a 7 - 4 record. So you are saying that with the right coaching he couldn't improve? I say I've seen QB's with throwing motions that looked a lot worse than his [see Ken Stabler] with too many people screwing around with Tebow's. They should have left him alone and let his football acumen develop instead of screwing with his head. And btw, Petyon Manning still has the "happy feet" everyone criticized him for when he was with UT and coached by David Cutcliff. Somehow the "happy feet" he still has seems not to be a detriment to his abilities. I'm not arguing for a Tebow return to the NFL. I'm just saying there is an inconsistency to talent evaluation with the some of the crap I see for starters in the NFL. Tebow is still a step above many of them [i.e. see EJ Manuel who was just benched].

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n67275 said:
And your point? Peyton Manning in his first year as a starter threw more INT's than TD's with a completion rate of 56% and a QB rating of 71.2 with a 3 - 13 record. Tebow as a starter for the Broncos had 12 TD's to 6 INT's with a passing completion rate of 47% and a QB rating of 72.9 with a 7 - 4 record. So you are saying that with the right coaching he couldn't improve? I say I've seen QB's with throwing motions that looked a lot worse than his [see Ken Stabler] with too many people screwing around with Tebow's. They should have left him alone and let his football acumen develop instead of screwing with his head. And btw, Petyon Manning still has the "happy feet" everyone criticized him for when he was with UT and coached by David Cutcliff. Somehow the "happy feet" he still has seems not to be a detriment to his abilities. I'm not arguing for a Tebow return to the NFL. I'm just saying there is an inconsistency to talent evaluation with the some of the crap I see for starters in the NFL. Tebow is still a step above many of them [i.e. see EJ Manuel who was just benched].

He had two opportunities in two different places after Denver, including New England, where a coach like Belichick loves unconventional players and former Gators, and he couldn't make a roster. Obviously it's not going to work out for him. He could have swallowed his pride and played another position, but he didn't want to.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, Ponder finished 22/44 with 2 Int's. The majority of the completions came late and GB was giving 5-10 yard completions. He is horrendous.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Ponder was terrible. What else would expect from a third string QB?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

STATS are for losers. Isn't that what you said about Driskel?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I swear 90% of the time, the road team will play horribly on a Thursday game, at least in pro ball.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;67304 said:
I swear 90% of the time, the road team will play horribly on a Thursday game, at least in pro ball.
I just don't think it's enough time for your body to heal in professional football. And then to add travel into the mix. Just becomes a recipe for disaster. The NFL should be only on Sundays and Mondays. Nothing else.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n67308 said:
I just don't think it's enough time for your body to heal in professional football. And then to add travel into the mix. Just becomes a recipe for disaster. The NFL should be only on Sundays and Mondays. Nothing else.

I am fine with Thursday games, but I feel that the two teams playing should have the bye week the weekend before the game.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
PaulDrake;n67254 said:

I agree with your point about TT. But, Christian Ponder was playing because Teddy Bridgewater has a sprained ankle. Ponder already lost the starting job to the rookie who was Strong's QB in the 2013 Sugar Bowl.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n67308 said:

^^This. No time to prepare mentally or physically from the previous week.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n67295 said:
STATS are for losers. Isn't that what you said about Driskel?

Winning games is all that matters, no matter how bad the stats are. Driskel only won because of a stellar defense and great kicker. Sounds familiar to Tebow's situation in 2011, right? Or are we going to start pouting and saying that Treon Harris is being benched because of his religion? :rolleyes:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;67441 said:
Winning games is all that matters, no matter how bad the stats are. Driskel only won because of a stellar defense and great kicker. Sounds familiar to Tebow's situation in 2011, right? Or are we going to start pouting and saying that Treon Harris is being benched because of his religion? :rolleyes:
Treon isn't starting because he's a true freshman. But that's a Muschamp failure that he doesn't have a competent backup QB to his RSJR QB.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014

Winning record as a starter is a better place to start

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n67787 said:
Winning record as a starter is a better place to start

Ok so it's fine that Driskel is starting. Case closed! :moon:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n67896 said:
Ok so it's fine that Driskel is starting. Case closed! :moon:

Depends. What was the Gators record with Orton?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator