Anthony Richardson drafted 4th overall to the Colts

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Given how important brains is for an NFL QB, I thought it was troubling when I heard Young scored a 6 on the Wonderlic. (Below 9 puts you in the 5th percentile.) The average for an NFL QB is 26.

Interestingly, the NFL, as of this year. no longer uses the test.

How surprised were you, having seen that Wonderlic, when you learned he was spending 5-6k a week at Cheesecake and Friday’s?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah does anyone thing that Brady or Manning is some kind of freak combination of size, strength and speed? Of course not. They are good QBs because they have the brains to know WTF is happening on the field and the best way to take advantage of it, and they have enough athletic ability to make it happen. Somehow the NFL is degrading into a league where the QB takes one look downfield then starts running around like its street lot football until somebody gets open. Heck, I think the Seahawks had two plays...handoff to Lynch and the Wilson scramble-fest. Well it got 'em to the Super Bowl so who am I to judge.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah does anyone thing that Brady or Manning is some kind of freak combination of size, strength and speed? Of course not. They are good QBs because they have the brains to know WTF is happening on the field and the best way to take advantage of it, and they have enough athletic ability to make it happen. Somehow the NFL is degrading into a league where the QB takes one look downfield then starts running around like its street lot football until somebody gets open. Heck, I think the Seahawks had two plays...handoff to Lynch and the Wilson scramble-fest. Well it got 'em to the Super Bowl so who am I to judge.

Wilson can scramble but can also technically make plays from the pocket. He’s a true dual threat QB. The athletic guys who can make crazy plays with their legs and produce highlights will win games, but they have yet to win a SB.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
If he plays well enough this year for them to take him high and pay him the dough, he should go for it. I'd take a chunk of money in a guaranteed contract over maybe improving and maybe staying healthy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If he plays well enough this year for them to take him high and pay him the dough, he should go for it. I'd take a chunk of money in a guaranteed contract over maybe improving and maybe staying healthy.
Slight clarification: Unlike MLB, in the NFL, the bonuses are guaranteed, but the salary part of the contract is not.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yeah does anyone thing that Brady or Manning is some kind of freak combination of size, strength and speed? Of course not.
I dont think I have ever seen either one throw a pass outside of college. Dont care.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They repeat that effing mistake every single year. They'll repeat it again next year. And the next. And the next.

The problem is that the sport has too much emphasis on the quarterback in the modern game. Without one, you can't win unless you have an all-time elite defense and dominant running game (like the 2000 Ravens), and that's rare. Desperation to find one leads to annual reaches.
The nfl has been reaching on qb's for decades. It's not just today's era.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Wilson can scramble but can also technically make plays from the pocket. He’s a true dual threat QB. The athletic guys who can make crazy plays with their legs and produce highlights will win games, but they have yet to win a SB.
Aaron Rogers is a QB who has the brains and scrambling ability. He's also weird.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The nfl has been reaching on qb's for decades. It's not just today's era.
True, but the NFL was primarily a running league until the late 90's - now it's a passing league. In the 1980's and early 90's, the league leader in TD passes would have 25 - that's a laughable number now.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just saying it's impossible to say X won't make it in the NFL or Y will. Nobody has a clue. Some guys have all the tools and bust, some guys are taken as a flyer late (Tom Brady, Tony Romo, etc) and the light just goes on when the ball is snapped. These NFL coaches just cross their fingers.

Will Levis seems like an overrated joke to me, and he'll probably end up in the NFL hall of fame. As mentioned before, Josh Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in college, and now he's incredibly accurate. I didn't think Lamar Jackson's game would translate as well as it has. Sometimes the system they are drafted in can help or hurt, or the coaches they are drafted by can help or hurt. I think a bunch of the busts over the years may have actually had decent careers had they gone to better teams with better coaches. The ones that are drafted high naturally go to garbage desperation teams with little talent. I still remember David Carr 20 years ago getting sacked literally ten times a game. Who can succeed in that?

If Patrick Mahomes had been drafted by the Browns, would he be the absolute superstar he is today? I wonder. Work ethic is certainly a huge part of it - the guys like J Russell and Vince Young who didn't want to work will never make it no matter how much talent they have.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff George threw for over 27,000 yards in the NFL. There are many better examples.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Love the kid. Tremendous athlete. Not an elite QB. I still think he does’nt know the difference between being injured and being hurt. Or maybe he is just fragile. As I said months ago, he may not make it through the season. Yeah the NFL will throw $$$$ at his potential. I bet he takes it after THIS season. Why would he stay?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
How surprised were you, having seen that Wonderlic, when you learned he was spending 5-6k a week at Cheesecake and Friday’s?
When I read that article years ago I was shocked he spent that much money on schitty chain restaurants.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Note how haughty sofla's gotten about quarterbacks since Hurts started juicing and emerged as a HOF candidate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Note how haughty sofla's gotten about quarterbacks since Hurts started juicing and emerged as a HOF candidate.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop there. I’m excited about what the coaches have done with him, but am not sold that Hurts can win games for us when we need him. We’ll see.

RivalFlorida

We got weights in fish!
Aug 30, 2018
This game just shows how far AR has to go to be a QB. He is like a RB playing QB. There is a lot of stupid in the NFL, so it is possible he get drafted too high. I would not touch AR in draft in less than the 3rd round, he just doesn't have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator