Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Congratulations, it seems that many folks are finally wrapping their heads around the very essence of sports, which is that the best team doesn't alway win. Players get hot, players slump...managers come up with a good gameplan or a crappy gameplan....the ball bounces a few inches this way vs that way, the foot was out of bounds by a centimeter....the ref made bad call...the weather negated the strength of one team and favored the other team.....and the long list goes on.

That's why they play the games. And that's why they have a postseason, so you build up everything into a big anticipatory moment when you either execute and win or you fail to execute and lose.

Were the Braves the best team in the majors this year? Probably so. Are they the champs? Definitely not. That's sports.

Lets all remember this when we're redesigning the CFB playoffs to make sure that the "best" teams like Bama get to the dance every year regardless of whether they win their conference or even their division.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Congratulations, it seems that many folks are finally wrapping their heads around the very essence of sports, which is that the best team doesn't alway win. Players get hot, players slump...managers come up with a good gameplan or a crappy gameplan....the ball bounces a few inches this way vs that way, the foot was out of bounds by a centimeter....the ref made bad call...the weather negated the strength of one team and favored the other team.....and the long list goes on.

That's why they play the games. And that's why they have a postseason, so you build up everything into a big anticipatory moment when you either execute and win or you fail to execute and lose.

Were the Braves the best team in the majors this year? Probably so. Are they the champs? Definitely not. That's sports.

Lets all remember this when we're redesigning the CFB playoffs to make sure that the "best" teams like Bama get to the dance every year regardless of whether they win their conference or even their division.
Exactly. Best team over 162? Without a doubt. Playoffs are a crapshoot of who is hottest. In pretty much every sport

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let’s face it, the only thing we know for sure is that the Jets are better than the Eagles.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Okay....why even have records then? If 104-58 is totally negated because of a 5 day span and the team who wins it all is the "best", why keep track of wins and losses?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I'm laughing bc it's a distinction without a meaningful difference. And is just perpetual whining.

Did anyone take away Georgia's national championship bc they lost the sec to bama? What about bamas when they lost the sec to lsu? How about the Packers in 2010? They were the last wild card in. How about Ohio State in 2014? They were the last team in the playoff and had a loss. They made it to the title game and beat undefeated Oregon.

You know what all the teams above were called? Winners. You know what the teams they beat with better records are called? Losers.

Once again you say things I never said....I never said take titles away....but do me a favor....take a survey on if the 2010 Packers , the 2007 Giants, the 2003 Marlins, etc were the best teams....you would be humbled by the responses...it's not whining...it's facts

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Once again you say things I never said....I never said take titles away....but do me a favor....take a survey on if the 2010 Packers , the 2007 Giants, the 2003 Marlins, etc were the best teams....you would be humbled by the responses...it's not whining...it's facts
Just say it with me. "Braves are losers."

You'll feel better.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay....why even have records then? If 104-58 is totally negated because of a 5 day span and the team who wins it all is the "best", why keep track of wins and losses?
Why? So you can make the playoffs, have a chance to compete for the World Series, and, if you have a really good record, get home-field advantage and FIVE days rest to get everyone healthy and throw your Ace twice in four games. The Braves had all those advantages because of a good season, yet when it came to the pending games that really mattered, they spent their time whacking off in the mirror and celebrating some 40/70 "achievement, while their hungry playoff opponent was still grinding. Then when they lost in four games, they had their fans there to pick up the pieces and make super embarrassing excuses for them.

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
So you can make the playoffs, have a chance to compete for the World Series, and, if you have a really good record, get home-field advantage and FIVE fo days rest to get everyone healthy and throw your Ace twice in four games. The Braves had all those advantages because of a good season, yet when it came to the pending games that really mattered, they spent their time whacking off in the mirror and celebrating some 40/70 "achievement, while their hungry playoff opponent was still grinding. Then when they lost in four games, they had their fans there to pick up the pieces and make super embarrassing excuses for them.

I really don't know what you're arguing...or is it ranting? Or is it just a late night comedy routine for an audience of 1? I have no idea

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
If winning titles is all that mattered, why are Bobby Cox, Glavine, Maddux, etc in the HOF with only 1 ring whereas managers with multiple rings (Tom Kelly, Cito Gaston, etc) are not in the HOF? Riddle me this, riddle me that

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Just say it with me. "Braves are losers."

You'll feel better.

When did you become a liberal? You can't dispute the facts so you change the narrative....maybe you should ponder how your Eagles lost to the lowly Jets today....maybe they were whacking off in the mirror too right Pasty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.