Are we thinking too highly of ourselves?

SecVolfan13

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Just food for thought.......Is the SEC really a prestigious coaching destination? For years I have been telling myself that "Coach X" would love to test his skills in the best conference in the land. I'm starting to think I had it all wrong.

Here we are looking for head coaches. Two teams that have been to the mountain top of college football in the best conference. You guy's more than me but my point is the same. Tenn is clinging to Gruden hopes with Mullen a fall back plan. Getting neither is very likely. Gators drooling over Chip Kelly and that could likely not happen. Then what??
Truth is our beloved SEC is not the destination job we see it to be.
LSU fired Les Miles and they moved Orgeron as interem. He is still there and will be next year. Why?
Florida settled for McElwain instead of a big name winner and look what happened. Why? Why is Scott Frost about to choose Nebraska over potential Florida?
South Carolina jumped all over the same idiot, anger management needing moron that Florida ran out of town rather than get an established winning coach.
Arkansas will be looking for a coach after next week and where are they gonna start?
It's not the money.....all the above mentioned can throw 6 mil a year at whomever they want.
I think the pressure of this conference, for at least the top 8 in it, has become a victim of it's own creation and we're seeing it unfold with these searches.
If you're comfortably making 3 mil a year, why take a leap at 5 mil a year and endure the non stop chaos and scrutiny that is the SEC. JMO

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Something ain't right. The SEC has so many lousy HCs that schools have suffered for years such that several are being fired this year. McElwain seems the worst SEC HC ever in that he built nothing worth nothing (IK, dubneg). SEC schools, especially the East, had better make home-run hires this time.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to say this but honestly Nick Saban is the worst thing to happen to the SEC.

All the competition and innovators have gone to the big 10 or acc, while the whole SEC is trying to be bama.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why take the jump?

Because Kelly will probably get alot more than 3-5M with incentives, if wants to coach again, and most of all.......Where else can you work a profession and get paid ungodly amounts of money to suck if you get fired. That's why.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, UT isnt an enticing spot right now. Without Bammer and Barn on probation and without the ability to poach Carolinas and Georgya for talent, Tinerc simply cant land enough talent to be among the big boys.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Speak for yourself, old hoss.

We had Muschamp and Butters because we had an AD who locked in on those clowns and didn't do his due diligence. You guys got Butch Jones because you were turned down by at least 5 others before you got to him. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again. The UT job is now like the Nebraska job.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Florida has obvious pull that other places, Tennessee included, don't. So, no, we aren't thinking too highly of ourselves and it's not arrogance, it's just the way it is.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Two teams that have been to the mountain top of college football in the best conference. JMO

Tennessee's Mountain
41250159-Small-hill-or-mound-with-green-fresh-grass-in-the-middle-of-an-otherwise-dry-grass-plain-with-forest-Stock-Photo.jpg

Florida's Mountain
8188912.jpg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to say this but honestly Nick Saban is the worst thing to happen to the SEC.

All the competition and innovators have gone to the big 10 or acc, while the whole SEC is trying to be bama.
been saying this for about 4 years now. He's run off all the good coaches, and hoarded so many of the good players, especially out of florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator