ARTICLE: It can't be that bad.....can it?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
http://gridironnow.com/positive-florida-cant-be-bad-again-can-it/
But the worse moments still were reserved for Nussmeier. He is the one who couldn’t get plays called in time, forcing all the timeouts. And the insistence on his predictable rotation of running and passing plays was somewhere between arrogant, stubborn and idiotic. At one point, with less than two minutes to play in the third quarter and trailing by 26 points, Nussmeier actually called three consecutive running plays – a zone-read handoff, a reverse and a quarterback draw.

Later, after Missouri went ahead 42-9 and kicked off, the first play was an inside handoff. That’s right – down 42-9 in the fourth quarter, let’s start the drive with a simple handoff. It is what losing teams, teams that expect to be behind, do.

I’ve written this before: The people I know who are close to Nussmeier tell me he is a genuinely good guy – liked by players, other coaches, works hard, truly cares. Having said that, he might be the most overmatched offensive coordinator I’ve seen at Florida. With apologies to Charlie Weis and Brent Pease, to Lynn Amedee and Whitey Jordan (look them up), this guy gets the title. It might be the worst stretch of play-calling in my 35-plus years of covering Florida.
Discuss.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He had the opportunity to go outside of his comfort zone, open up the playcalling, and make it look like the shytshow was all Mac’s doing. Instead, he completely confirmed his incompetence. What a missed opportunity.

I drank on every 2nd down run, and was hammered before halftime.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's a 100+ OC, he is what he is. Did anyone believe he would change? :rotfl: Shannon needs to demote him, plain and simple, and give somebody else a shot at play calling. Or to be pc'ish, name Seider the Co-OC, and let Nuss do zero, maybe he will fade away on his own.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"he might be the most overmatched offensive coordinator I’ve seen at Florida. With apologies to Charlie Weis and Brent Pease, to Lynn Amedee and Whitey Jordan (look them up), this guy gets the title. It might be the worst stretch of play-calling in my 35-plus years of covering Florida."

If you know anything about Frangie, you know he does not say things like this. He's the kind of guy that still tries to find the positive even when things are at their worst. When he is writing an article like this one, you know it is bad.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Saturday was a bit of an experiment. We got to see Nuss without McElwain. I have no doubt that Nuss was running McElwain's offense when McElwain still had the job. Saturday though proved it was not just a bad offense and McElwain, but as we all knew it was Nuss also. Saturday we saw a few passes down the field towards the inside and some were successful, but overall we saw the same old offense and same old play calling.

Not that any new coach could have kept Nuss around, but for those that like autopsies, Saturday confirmed a lot. The cause of death of the McElwain tenure at UF was an offense and that McElwain and Nuss agree was what they wanted.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Whats scary in the article is the notion of the lack of talent left on defense by this staff. He's right in that past fired coaches left some pretty stout defenses behind. This staff just wasted that talent and didn't replenish it enough.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
"he might be the most overmatched offensive coordinator I’ve seen at Florida. With apologies to Charlie Weis and Brent Pease, to Lynn Amedee and Whitey Jordan (look them up), this guy gets the title. It might be the worst stretch of play-calling in my 35-plus years of covering Florida."

If you know anything about Frangie, you know he does not say things like this. He's the kind of guy that still tries to find the positive even when things are at their worst. When he is writing an article like this one, you know it is bad.
'... tries to find the positive...' You mean he's a pumper?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
What he said.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Frangie didn't even touch on the ST's disaster either. There were at least 8 ST's blunder yesterday.

McElwain sealed his fate at UF when he did not replace Nussmeir and Nord. And the arrogance he has, he gave both a raise and contract extension. I mean, seriously....WTF?

This team never had a chance w/ those three coaches leading the way.

And Frangie is spot on w/ the lack of talent on D. There's also a lack of depth on D. Next guy better hope he can outscore people until this D can mature and build depth.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve been screaming about those two coaches since the first year. Why they are still here I don’t know.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For Frangie to say that.....and the fact that Lynn Amedee is better than Pussmeier then you are the worst OC ever.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Assuming the new coach is an offensive whiz, he may be able to fix that side of the ball quickly. Or at least improve it. But defense is far less about scheme and plan and way more about the ballers.
True dat. You really have to excel at stupid/lazy not to even make the effort to maintain the status quo.

Last edited:

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
Longtime admirer and visitor of this wonderful forum, decided to officially join yesterday. After watching Gator football with great interest since the early 80's, I can attest this is really BAD. Yes, Gator Nation was spoiled during the HBC and Urban years but oh my, I'll take Gary Darnell and his staff back for the rest of this season.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not sure we needed Frangie to join what a lot of us have been saying for 2 + years. And thanx for telling us we have very little talent on D. I believe many of us knew and said this summer that our LB's and our safetys were the worst UF has seen in years. The CB's were a huge question b/c of youth and they have played young and undercoached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.