AT&T and DirectTV may not renegotiate with SEC Network, ESPN and ABC

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Ok full disclosure, I’m an At&t sales employee and I’ve seen this stuff like 2 dozen times at least. It’s a bargaining tool by Disney to get a giant national provider to cave to higher rates which will be passed on to you the consumer. Unfortunately all of the streaming services have and will experience this, that’s why a lot of them started at like $10-$15 a month and most of them aren’t close to that now. I wouldn’t think At&t/directv would want to deal with the avalanche that would ensue so my money is on it getting resolved in short order, but everyone’s TV price is going up at some point

TNGatorBrad

Trying to be myself without losing my job
Nov 9, 2017
There is no reason to have at&t and DirecTV.

If you have it currently, get rid of it...you have way more options

Unless you live in a brand new neighborhood and the developer made some be deal with ATT and they are legitimately 100%, no lie, the ONLY DAMN OPTION!

It really sucks... we're about to cut the cord. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I ran across this nugget last night and if this happens then I'll be be beyond pissed.

If you are a DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse or AT&T TVNow subscriber, you may not be able to view games on @SECNetwork (and other @ESPN and Disney networks) this weekend.

Visit http://instantaccesstv.com/ for the latest info.
Numbers are working?

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018

If you have ATT mobile, you can get significant bundling discounts on Directv. We get about $100 a month in various DTV discounts.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you have ATT mobile, you can get significant bundling discounts on Directv. We get about $100 a month in various DTV discounts.
I mean, if you like garbage because you think it saves you money...have at it ;)

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
I mean, if you like garbage because you think it saves you money...have at it ;)

Apart from sports I could do without it, but wife still watches it. But I do get hbo/showtime/cinemax/Starz through it with significant discounts. The HBO is free I think. I watch all of those channels on Roku.

Can you dvr streaming channels? We dvr football games and watch 2 at the same time. We watched Gator game and switched back and forth between OU game.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Apart from sports I could do without it, but wife still watches it. But I do get hbo/showtime/cinemax/Starz through it with significant discounts. The HBO is free I think. I watch all of those channels on Roku.

Can you dvr streaming channels? We dvr football games and watch 2 at the same time. We watched Gator game and switched back and forth between OU game.
Every streaming service is different...but most have DVR service built in.

PS Vue and YouTube TV are probably two of the best right now.
Just need decent internet, and you're all set.

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
Every streaming service is different...but most have DVR service built in.

PS Vue and YouTube TV are probably two of the best right now.
Just need decent internet, and you're all set.

But what is the value in switching? Other than college FB season I just don't watch cable TV anymore. I upgrade the DTV package during CFB season but outside of that I pay very little for directv- including those premium channels. That all assumes I stay with ATT mobile. If I switched that then it would be a different ballgame.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But what is the value in switching? Other than college FB season I just don't watch cable TV anymore. I upgrade the DTV package during CFB season but outside of that I pay very little for directv- including those premium channels. That all assumes I stay with ATT mobile. If I switched that then it would be a different ballgame.
You'd likely still save money.
I think YouTube TV has only one tier right now, and it is about $45 a month.

PS vue has 4 tiers and then extras you can add.

Sling TV also has tiers, and has some of the cheapest base options.

You'd have to check into it and see what has the channels you would like to have.

I am saving about $75+ a month when I went to just internet and streaming PS Vue (Elite package with 90+ channels) vs using spectrum for both internet and cable.

Also the perk of streaming TV is that there are no contracts...it's month to month. So maybe one outlet makes sense during the football season and maybe another makes sense the rest of the year...either way, you aren't tied down.

You have to do your research though and determine what makes sense for you and your families "wants".

Politigator

L-boy's Cousin
BANNED
Oct 5, 2018
You'd likely still save money.
I think YouTube TV has only one tier right now, and it is about $45 a month.

PS vue has 4 tiers and then extras you can add.

Sling TV also has tiers, and has some of the cheapest base options.

You'd have to check into it and see what has the channels you would like to have.

I am saving about $75+ a month when I went to just internet and streaming PS Vue (Elite package with 90+ channels) vs using spectrum for both internet and cable.

Also the perk of streaming TV is that there are no contracts...it's month to month. So maybe one outlet makes sense during the football season and maybe another makes sense the rest of the year...either way, you aren't tied down.

You have to do your research though and determine what makes sense for you and your families "wants".

Do you all the premium channels for $45 a month? I pay about $50 a month, maybe less, including premium channels, for direct TV. Of course that is all predicated on having ATT mobile which isn't cheap.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just bought some new aluminum foil for the antennae. I'm good.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I have AT&T Uverse and love it. The service is great...there are never any issues with programming going down and they give me plenty of channels, including premium ones like Showtime, Stars, etc. I was with Comcast prior and find the AT&T service to be a much better value.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Unless you live in a brand new neighborhood and the developer made some be deal with ATT and they are legitimately 100%, no lie, the ONLY DAMN OPTION!

It really sucks... we're about to cut the cord. Any suggestions?

We chose not to cut the cord when we moved this past summer. I was in temporary housing and used Amazon Fire Stick for 6 months. It was ok, I had good speed (100mps+), but...

1. We kept Dish for live sports. There’s a longer delay and drag dynamic streaming that sux. We have a beautiful 65” 4K TV that would be much less effective streaming.

2. A lot of the channels I like, I only had access because I had Dish. Otherwise I’d be paying for each and it adds up quickly.

3. Streaming is MUCH better for series and movies, but changing channels is slow, which makes channel surfing during commercials or going back and forth between games a pain.

4. We’ve been very happy with Dish and they were ready to renegotiate our renewal. I didn’t have to threaten, just told them we were rethinking our options.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hulu live is great. Never looked back. If you have decent internet there is no reason for cable tv or direct tv.
Therein lies the rub. I live in a new subdivision and cable has yet to been run so we had to go with Hughesnet and a 2 year contract. It’s literally slower than dial up.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I got rid of Uverse a couple years ago because their internet speed just sucked at my house.

Now I have Cox and the speed is blazing fast, but my bill for internet and 5 TVs is almost 200 bucks with 2 Contour boxes and 3 mini boxes (the minis don't get all the channels like SEC, ESPNU, etc).

I'm about to start the free trial of YouTube TV, which has all those channels plus the HGTV stuff my wife is addicted to. If it works out it should not only save use quite a few bucks every month but also simplify our equipment setup and allow us to watch recorded shows while traveling, which is a big deal for a guy who spends half his life on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator