At this point, is progress more important than wins?

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In saner times with Spurrier/Meyer, we used to blow teams out in the first half and then let our young guys get some playing time in the second half. That doesn't happen anymore. Every game is close, no matter how sorry the opponent.
we didn't do it nearly enough with meyer and I think it bit him in the ass in 2009 and 2010

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I see where you are coming from Ox. But as long as Mac is the coach players will continue to regress and become very comfortable with losing.
I get letting them have experience but experience for what, the same coach? So he can teach them how not to score and mold them into LDR.
It's over, man. Lol
Yeah, trust me I know. Unfortunately the AD does not.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, the only thing left to play for is Fun and The Love Of The Game.

Someone should lure Mac to a Buffett next Saturday, put a tub if lard and Chicken grease in front of him along with bbq, popcorn, and pudding then lock the door behind him and just let the kids play for fun.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Once Mac gets canned after next season, how far behind UGA will we be?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Who will replace butters?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Progress will get wins. He was way too conservative in many areas. Now I saw Oklahoma make the same mistake we did at the end, instead of getting your four (or maybe more) yards safely you throw into coverage over the middle. I don't understand it and I won't be listening to the excuses of our coach. Our defensive line should have been living in their back field and they should have almost no time to throw either. Somehow that did not occur consistently.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

That feeds into the stories you hear about Franks is more worried about hanging out late etc. than putting the work in he needs to.

I hope if we do keep Corral they will play him next season as some of these true freshman have been playing half way decent lately if they have a decent running game to help them out.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
In saner times with Spurrier/Meyer, we used to blow teams out in the first half and then let our young guys get some playing time in the second half. That doesn't happen anymore. Every game is close, no matter how sorry the opponent.

This times 1000000000000

This staff just plain sucks from the top down with a few exceptions.

We used to blow the cupcakes off the field and get reps for our back ups. Not anymore.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That feeds into the stories you hear about Franks is more worried about hanging out late etc. than putting the work in he needs to.
Where have you been hearing this?....This is as bad as the WG cocaine conspiracy......

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's lived a charmed life winning the way he has without any progress on the offensive side of the ball, which began as a wreck when he took over.

We were #6 on defense a year ago, #49 now. That's called living on the edge.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The leghumpers were playing second teamers in the second half against Vandy. We are in bad shape.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is (another) lost season, so I personally am not that worried about wins and losses. I'm thinking about next year, the next five years, the next ten years. I think progress and underclassman experience is more important. We need to get every youngster out there on the field to see if they've got anything.

The only exception is the games against UGA and FSU. Those are rivalry games that are important to win no matter what the circumstances.

Am I alone in this thinking? What should be the mindset the remainder of the season?
Honestly, probably the biggest thing we can do for progress is keep the recruiting class together and hope Corral and Co. can keep adding to it. As you have mentioned, when Trask is healthy give him a shot. Hell, give Toney a shot. If Allen is better than Franks at this point, play him. I think recruits will understand so long as you are trying new things, but for the love of Christ, keep feeding Davis the ball.

But absolutely, give the young guys an opportunity when possible.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I was a little disappointed in Zook, but he worked his azz off, a lot disappointed in the chimp cause he didn't GAF about O, and mac just makes my skin crawl because he's friggin incompetent at everything. I'd love to punch Foley right in the cksucker he has jackhammered this proud program with these garbage hires.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
CM has been winning by sheer luck. Now the luck has changed. He could easily lose eight out of the next ten games. The pendulum swings both ways. And it has swung real high when it was in his favor. Him winning his first two Eastern Championships is even beyond luck. Not throwing one pass to a tight end is grounds for firing his butt. Not many tight ends will entertain committing to us in the future.
It’s hard to believe he’s worse than Muscramp but he is. Muscramp didn’t have bad luck, he lost games naturally, without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator