Athletic Director Greg Byrne

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne was a top candidate for the AD job at Florida. It was reported that he turned down the Florida job because he was waiting on Alabama.

As it turns out, we may be very fortunate that he went elsewhere.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...s-blackmail-violence-death-school-stopped-him

Byrne is being sued by a former Arizona track and field athlete. The athlete is alleging that she was raped, blackmailed, assaulted and threatened by an assistant coach over a period of years. The coach was arrested and charged with 8 felonies some of which he has already acknowledged committing. Apparently, the coach in question was using his university cell phone and email account to communicate with and threaten the student.

A concerned employee became aware that something inappropriate was happening and notified Byrne. Byrne scheduled a meeting with the coach and asked him if he was doing something he shouldn't be doing. The coach said no and Byrne dropped it without investigating any further. Byrne never checked the email account or the cell phone records. Byrne never spoke with the athlete in question and never communicated with her in any way. The school's Title IX office sent her 2 emails and the school left the matter there.

A short time later the coach threw the athlete on the couch in his office and held a box cutter to her throat threatening to kill her. The coach has admitted doing this.

The story is long and there are two sides, but Byrne clearly did not take the "investigation" seriously.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. I read this the other day. Complete shytshow. The fact that that guy is still in coaching and that Greg is still an AD is a travesty.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As much as I envy Bama's success in CFB and as much as I think they cheat by giving players benefits (cars, houses for parents, etc.), I can't think of any scandal involving sexual abuse and looking the other way. Am I forgetting or unaware of something? ...or is this just haterz and envy?

FSU looking the other way over sexual abuse concerns? yeah.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
As much as I envy Bama's success in CFB and as much as I think they cheat by giving players benefits (cars, houses for parents, etc.), I can't think of any scandal involving sexual abuse and looking the other way. Am I forgetting or unaware of something? ...or is this just haterz and envy?

FSU looking the other way over sexual abuse concerns? yeah.

Well, I am not so sure the local police arrest football players and if they do the university squashes it asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator