Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Preliminary autopsy results are in and the following are a summary of the significant findings as to the cause of death of the Butterteeth Regime:

1. Poor staff- a few hires looked better than thought at first, but even the ones who could recruit a little showed very little ability to develop what they recruited. Almost all were either people fired from P5 (Nusschump, NOOOOOORD! Shannon) or FIU directional school budget hire types, two of whom ended up coaching positions they had never coached before (Wrs and Lbs). Compare this to what Saban does, he keeps a dozen fired coaches in the backrooms cutting film and ready if needed (and familiar with process, players, and playbook). Also compare it to Creyer's staff while here, he either hired an allstar from another staff (Durkin) or even guys with HC or coordinator experience. He had them all over the staff. The results spoke for themselves at both programs.

2. Nusschump and NOOOOOORD!- let’s revisit this as a second cause because even given the poor staff, there was hope I think. I still believe reports that the decision had been made to fire Nusschump and NOOOOOORD after last year, but that Butters vetoed and insisted the problem wasn’t coaching and blamed the players. This was the flurry of "there were receivers running wide open" echoed throughout pumperdom. AD folded--after all you have to trust your coach right?-- but, I suspect, put Butters in a "if he sinks again, you go down with the ship." Make no mistake, Nusschump is Butters' boy, having played for him then followed him from job to job, truly his handpicked protege and part of his family. Nuss' offense was Butters' offense. There was IMO a brief opportunity for Butters to right the ship with a new OC, but he demanded to keep his boy instead. The transfer of Grier wouldn’t have mattered the slightest so long as Nusschump were still here running the O. We saw what Grier looked like under Nuss, and it was more of the same.

3. Poor recruiting- Butters inherited a decimated OL, but also got a pair of 4 four star Qbs and talented RB. Not great no doubt but Butters' rebuild was even worse. Only one 4 star QB in the next three classes (even Chimp landed 4), numbers still sucked at OL after one large group, and recruiting on the defense that easily equalled Chimp’s negligence on the OL. Even after failing to land Dts and inside Lbs, we were still neglecting the area totally with this NEXT class. Inexcusable. This was never going to get better. This staff seems to be procrastinators who waited til the very end then ran from fire to fire, fixing it at the last minute with jucos and two-three star leftovers.

4. Injuries and suspensions- this did play a big part but not in the way some think. IMO Callaway and Scarlett made almost zero difference. The offense was going to be what it was going to be. It looked no different in the past with them on the field. If Callaway were outside, then Cleveland and Toney would have gotten little or no touches. If Scarlett were not suspended, we would have never seen Davis at all this year IMO. The real injuries that hurt us were Marcel and Duke. With our big donut in the middle at DT and inside LB, we needed to be able to drop a safety in the box (Marcel) and trust whomever was left to cover what was left alone. We cant do that with the lack of quality depth at safety (another 3 star U problem).

These first four preliminary causes aren’t weighted.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hey donkey. Go back to your office and complete your report. It's incomplete.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure firing nuss would have fixed things. We’ve seen muschamp do it and other coaches, such as Coker, it really doesn’t fix the issue, which is the HC.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have to agree with your assessment above. Mac hired a terrible coaching staff and then called them fantastic. This quote from Bianchi sums up Mac:

He comes from the Nick Saban coaching tree and that’s one of his problems. He has the arrogance of Nick Saban but the resume of Lou Saban

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure firing nuss would have fixed things. We’ve seen muschamp do it and other coaches, such as Coker, it really doesn’t fix the issue, which is the HC.
I agree that we know that now... but at least there was hope. He did after all run a weird unButterteethish offense the last 2 years at Col St. (I'm sorry, I don't know the Instigator approved abbreviations, maybe UCLSt.)

A good coach doesn't have to be told to fire a bad coordinator. SOS was chomping at the bit to fire Zook and Hoke.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Usually it doesn't but ND has improved a lot hiring a new OC, DC and ST coach. They seem to be the recent exception. Also the ND's coach backgound is defense I think.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I forgot to mention in my above post that Mac's lazy and piss poor recruiting thus far also nailed his coffin shut. You could see his recruiting and development on display yesterday vs. Georgia's recruiting and development.

I went to the game yesterday with my brother and predicted a 45 - 7 Georgia win. I noticed early in the first quarter that the team had quit on him and the "fantastic" staff. Many, many, many times Franks had no where to throw the ball as the receivers were not trying to get open. Literally as soon as the ball was snapped the Georgia defenders were on him so, I guess the OL is definitely not the strength of the team as Mac was yelling to the rooftops in preseason...

I was never a fan of his hire and really hoped I was wrong on him... I wish I could be as bad at my job, as he is at his job, and get paid millions.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I love this assessment. You know, I didn't think about the UAA/AD pushing for Nord and Nuss to be fired last year, but that may explain his comments after the Iowa game when he said that maybe the Admin would support him

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I forgot to mention in my above post that Mac's lazy and piss poor recruiting thus far also nailed his coffin shut. You could see his recruiting and development on display yesterday vs. Georgia's recruiting and development.

I went to the game yesterday with my brother and predicted a 45 - 7 Georgia win. I noticed early in the first quarter that the team had quit on him and the "fantastic" staff. Many, many, many times Franks had no where to throw the ball as the receivers were not trying to get open. Literally as soon as the ball was snapped the Georgia defenders were on him so, I guess the OL is definitely not the strength of the team as Mac was yelling to the rooftops in preseason...

I was never a fan of his hire and really hoped I was wrong on him... I wish I could be as bad at my job, as he is at his job, and get paid millions.

Yes, on the Franks thing.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Preliminary autopsy results are in and the following are a summary of the significant findings as to the cause of death of the Butterteeth Regime:

1. Poor staff- a few hires looked better than thought at first, but even the ones who could recruit a little showed very little ability to develop what they recruited. Almost all were either people fired from P5 (Nusschump, NOOOOOORD! Shannon) or FIU directional school budget hire types, two of whom ended up coaching positions they had never coached before (Wrs and Lbs). Compare this to what Saban does, he keeps a dozen fired coaches in the backrooms cutting film and ready if needed (and familiar with process, players, and playbook). Also compare it to Creyer's staff while here, he either hired an allstar from another staff (Durkin) or even guys with HC or coordinator experience. He had them all over the staff. The results spoke for themselves at both programs.

2. Nusschump and NOOOOOORD!- let’s revisit this as a second cause because even given the poor staff, there was hope I think. I still believe reports that the decision had been made to fire Nusschump and NOOOOOORD after last year, but that Butters vetoed and insisted the problem wasn’t coaching and blamed the players. This was the flurry of "there were receivers running wide open" echoed throughout pumperdom. AD folded--after all you have to trust your coach right?-- but, I suspect, put Butters in a "if he sinks again, you go down with the ship." Make no mistake, Nusschump is Butters' boy, having played for him then followed him from job to job, truly his handpicked protege and part of his family. Nuss' offense was Butters' offense. There was IMO a brief opportunity for Butters to right the ship with a new OC, but he demanded to keep his boy instead. The transfer of Grier wouldn’t have mattered the slightest so long as Nusschump were still here running the O. We saw what Grier looked like under Nuss, and it was more of the same.

3. Poor recruiting- Butters inherited a decimated OL, but also got a pair of 4 four star Qbs and talented RB. Not great no doubt but Butters' rebuild was even worse. Only one 4 star QB in the next three classes (even Chimp landed 4), numbers still sucked at OL after one large group, and recruiting on the defense that easily equalled Chimp’s negligence on the OL. Even after failing to land Dts and inside Lbs, we were still neglecting the area totally with this NEXT class. Inexcusable. This was never going to get better. This staff seems to be procrastinators who waited til the very end then ran from fire to fire, fixing it at the last minute with jucos and two-three star leftovers.

4. Injuries and suspensions- this did play a big part but not in the way some think. IMO Callaway and Scarlett made almost zero difference. The offense was going to be what it was going to be. It looked no different in the past with them on the field. If Callaway were outside, then Cleveland and Toney would have gotten little or no touches. If Scarlett were not suspended, we would have never seen Davis at all this year IMO. The real injuries that hurt us were Marcel and Duke. With our big donut in the middle at DT and inside LB, we needed to be able to drop a safety in the box (Marcel) and trust whomever was left to cover what was left alone. We cant do that with the lack of quality depth at safety (another 3 star U problem).

These first four preliminary causes aren’t weighted.

100% Agree. Took the words right out of my mouth. Excellent summary.

Alex.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sunday 10:30ish AM, and the Univ. of Florida has still NOT fired its so called head football coach!. Those pencil pushers are proving more incompetent than I even said they were. We have ZERO leadership.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sunday 10:30ish AM, and the Univ. of Florida has still NOT fired its so called head football coach!. Those pencil pushers are proving more incompetent than I even said they were. We have ZERO leadership.
It's done. Just finishing dotting the i's and crossing the t's. I doubt he will have another meeting with the kids.

You don't leak all this to ESPN and have him telling the kids they are firing him at the team meal otherwise. I don't know why he choose to do it then but it is just another example of him not being ready for the job.

I'm sure everyone had a few drinks last night, will sleep in and make it official on Monday.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Mac Era...

DOA_6.png

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It's done. Just finishing dotting the i's and crossing the t's. I doubt he will have another meeting with the kids.

You don't leak all this to ESPN and have him telling the kids they are firing him at the team meal otherwise. I don't know why he choose to do it then but it is just another example of him not being ready for the job.

I'm sure everyone had a few drinks last night, will sleep in and make it official on Monday.

Color me Skeptical Law b/c history shows we don;t cross T's or dot I's very well. Just look at the lack of an offset that you and Ox pointed out in both Chump's and Butter's contracts.

As for the drinking I am not wasting my Woodford Reserve Double Oaked or my Maker's Mark Cask Strength to wash away my sorrows. I am saving my drinking for a joyous occasion when Butter's is FIRED and the ink is dry. I will treat all at Sizzler then return home and truly enjoy my booze for a joyous occasion!!!!!

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Great post Law, I'll add this. It's not the worst thing to grab assistants from Saban, it's grabbing the wrong ones. And secondly it's that undeserved false bravado we saw with Muschamp.

Some assistants work with Saban and get the attitude that, "yep, I was chosen. I was part of the team, I've arrived! I now have the golden touch." Not realizing they are just a cog in the wheel of a larger system without UNDERSTSANDING THE SYSTEM.
So because they don't understand the system, Mac thought facilities was the reason they won, so with facility upgrades he could walk around doing his good ol boy shtick. Muschamp thought toughness was the reason they won, so with toughness he could walk around with his Mr Furious routine.

It's still early but it looks like Kirby UNDERSTANDS THE SYSTEM. UGA looked like a mini Alabama. Even with Mac's dog claribelle, Kirby could just plug her in the system.

If I was going to interview another Saban clone, that would be the question I ask. "What did you learn from Saban?"

At this point I know that I am offended at Mac's weeping "look at the crowd, pretty kewl huh" while delivering one of the crapiest football products in recent memory! The announcer said after the LSU game "That took football back 100 years"

We all bit the bullet with Mac, had he not been a pompous, supercillius jerk; he may have been around another 5 years.
But as it is with all bad coaches, it self corrects. Zook was fired for the frat incident.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's still early but it looks like Kirby UNDERSTANDS THE SYSTEM. UGA looked like a mini Alabama. Even with Mac's dog claribelle, Kirby could just plug her in the system.
I'm not sold yet. Just like Jimbob at Clowntown, he benefited greatly by our incompetent staff's recruiting.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
It's over, he'll be fired by 3 today.

I know we were all pissed about him retaining Nord and Nussy but it's going to work out perfectly. He's not going to be able to throw any of them under the bus. All those worthless fcks are going out like they came in, together.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sold yet. Just like Jimbob at Clowntown, he benefited greatly by our incompetent staff's recruiting.
Agree, it's still early but he gets it more than Mac.

I was about to type that "I don't think Mac is stupid" then I had all these memories of him crying and weeping, distracting the reporters at interviews, and selling popcorn and bbq sauce....

But a good coaching student could learn from Saban, a buffoon thinks it's the building

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.