Gator Basketball B-Ball Transfers: Stone, Okauru, and Ballard

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
NVAGATOR covers the main point for UF = get 6'10" or taller the better. I checked other SEC rosters. They've got plenty of bigs coming up now as sophs & jrs. Plus the height of incoming freshmen. That area of recruiting and development. I don't think White shops deligentley for 'bigs'. White definitely hasn't the means to develop 'bigs'. He's got us where we'll never outdo those heads-up coaches' teams.

Going overseas you find 'bigs' who as youngsters worshipped soccer. So they developed excellent coordination, body control, good stamina and running speed. Then they grow to 7'. Make sure they have large hand-spread. Payne & Stokes & Stone (& Gak?) will have to be our inside game next year ... along with White's inspiration.
Rogdochar you are right on. White and staff do not focus on "bigs". We are a guard school and that is ok as along as you have big men who complement them. UVA has a guard heavy team like us but has a very talented big man named Jack Salt.at 6 10 in the paint. Plus they have two 7 footers who can come off the bench to take up space down low. It seems to work well for them. Salt is Australian and one of the other big men is from Argentina. We need to change how we recruit and coach.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SEC Coaches Salaries:

• John Calipari, Kentucky — $9,276,643
  • Rick Barnes, Tennessee — $3,250,000
  • Tom Crean, Georgia — $3,200,000
  • Avery Johnson, Alabama — $3,062,000
  • Frank Martin, South Carolina — $2,950,000
  • Cuonzo Martin, Mizzou — $2,800,000
  • Mike White, Florida — $2,612,758
  • Bruce Pearl, Auburn — $2,600,000
  • Mike Anderson, Arkansas — $2,550,000
  • Will Wade, LSU — $2,500,000
  • Kermit Davis, Ole Miss — $2,500,000
  • Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M — $2,454,000
  • Ben Howland, Mississippi State — $2,200,000
  • Bryce Drew, Vanderbilt — $2,047,142

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
We should give him a bonus for convincing a top 5 recruiting class to come to Gainesville. It’s scary how basic Gator Basketball has become since Patrick Young and Co. left. There are so many empty lower-row seats on TV every game. The O-Dome sounds like a YMCA gym with a handful of homeless hecklers. Only 9500 fans average during good seasons. We need to look in the mirror and accept that Mike White is our guy. And we desperately need to do something about the TV product produced at the ODome. Not bothering to even mention the staggering lack of offense. Fix It already!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's March Madness ... any team can lose a game ... like our next opponent. Any team can beat any team ... like Gators on our next opponent. Build on that first performance.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Can we get off the crossroads and get back to program building? Mike White is a good coach. And when he earns us a final four or two over the next decade, the Jboss twins can grow up in a world where the haters are truly owned and destroyed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing what hindsight will do to all you douche-nozzles.

In hindsight, this is still a team that's undercoached. In 4 years Hayes could have had 16 ppg pounded into his functioning. Allen & Hudson should not been allowed to fade in their careers. Hasn't happened elsewhere much in other programs. Two guys diverse as could be and here they fade similarly. Our Gator program has got to be compared to what's happening in other programs that we want to catch up to and pass. That's reasonable. That's evolving. That's UF basketball program development.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Note to self: make different predictions in different threads, repost the one that turns out right, and hope no one remembers the one that was wrong. I like it.
They were 2 weeks apart dipschit but don’t let that get in your way of being pompous. A lot had changed in that 2 weeks.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
They were 2 weeks apart dipschit but don’t let that get in your way of being pompous. A lot had changed in that 2 weeks.
If you hadn't reposted the one you got right, I wouldn't have said a word. I know they were two weeks apart, I was just bustin your chops. Lighten up, Francis.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The talent level on this team is rd of 32. White has showed he's not a bad coach. Win against Michigan and I'd say he is a good coach. GO GATORS

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
In hindsight, this is still a team that's undercoached. In 4 years Hayes could have had 16 ppg pounded into his functioning. Allen & Hudson should not been allowed to fade in their careers. Hasn't happened elsewhere much in other programs. Two guys diverse as could be and here they fade similarly. Our Gator program has got to be compared to what's happening in other programs that we want to catch up to and pass. That's reasonable. That's evolving. That's UF basketball program development.

I respectfully disagree. Hayes arrived very, very raw with very limited offensive skills. Through his very strong work ethic and great attitude along with coaching he has developed into what we see today. In no way could he have averaged 16ppg in this league now or in the past. But he has become a tremendous leader, good defender, great rim protector and has at least become a threat to score. His offensive court instincts are what has improved the most.

Allen and Hudson primarily faded mentally. They lost confidence. Hudson appears to have regained his confidence completely while Allen is still up and down.

Last edited:

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone on this board. It is as if no one here has ever watched a season of Mike White basketball before this year. Prior to this year, MW has preferred to push the ball up the court and score early in the clock when the opportunity was there. This year, due to lack of depth and and under-sized and under-talented lineup, MW has adjusted his approach to fit the players, rather than keep his fast-paced approach with a team that would not be able to handle it. He's always encouraged strong defense, which is even more important this year.

PPG Opp PPG Years School
------ -------------- -------- ---------
74.0 67.5 2011-15 La Tech
74.1 67.1 2016-18 Gators
68.3 63.6 2018-19 Gators

For reference, let's compare to Kentucky over the same time frame, since they play mostly the same competition:

PPG Opp PPG Years School
77.2 65.0 2011-19 Kentucky

So, with the exception of this year, Mike White's teams have averaged within about 3 ppg of Kentucky, a perennial NCAA tourney team that has won 1 NC and played in the championship game another time, in addition to final four and elite 8 appearances.

Mike White is doing what he has to this year to give his teams a chance to win the game. It's not the fast-pace that most people enjoy, but his job is to win games, and he's calling games in a way that puts his players in a position to do so.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is what white has on his resume right now. 3 consecutive 2nd round appearances. We start 3 freshmen with a top5 recruiting class coming. Alot has changed in the last month. Glad we got it turned around.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone on this board. It is as if no one here has ever watched a season of Mike White basketball before this year. Prior to this year, MW has preferred to push the ball up the court and score early in the clock when the opportunity was there. This year, due to lack of depth and and under-sized and under-talented lineup, MW has adjusted his approach to fit the players, rather than keep his fast-paced approach with a team that would not be able to handle it. He's always encouraged strong defense, which is even more important this year.

PPG Opp PPG Years School
74.0 67.5 2011-15 La Tech
74.1 67.1 2016-18 Gators
68.3 63.6 2018-19 Gators

For reference, let's compare to Kentucky over the same time frame, since they play mostly the same competition:

PPG Opp PPG Years School
77.2 65.0 2011-19 Kentucky

So, with the exception of this year, Mike White's teams have averaged within about 3 ppg of Kentucky, a perennial NCAA tourney team that has won 1 NC and played in the championship game another time, in addition to final four and elite 8 appearances.

Mike White is doing what he has to this year to give his teams a chance to win the game. It's not the fast-pace that most people enjoy, but his job is to win games, and he's calling games in a way that puts his players in a position to do so.

Nailed it. Great analysis.

It’s the difference between cheering and coaching.

Those of us up in the stands want to see fast-paced, uptempo, fastbreak basketball. It’s more fun to watch.

Coaching....good coaching...requires adapting to the strengths and capabilities of your roster. Pat Riley’s 90’s Knick’s were 180 degrees from his 80’s Lakers showtime. Some coaches force square pegs in round holes. Good coaches adapt.

White will be holding a better hand next year. It will be intetesting to see what he does with it. I would bet our scoring will be up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator