Bad news coming - UPDATED: 7 Gators Suspended for Michigan Game

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
He'll probably pretend like the whole situation doesn't exist. He won't mention it, and the spineless Gator press won't bring it up. You think Dooley would say anything to him about this? He's too busy licking Mac's boots.

@oxrageous

Out of curiosity, are you able to get press credentials?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Media: you hear about that rumor started by some guy named ox on a message board?

Mac: look, you guys, we have heard about it and it's something we'll deal with alright? I hear that ox guy had 600 unique guests on his site, perty cool huh? And yet, my dog Clarabelle could have had more.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Media: you hear about that rumor started by some guy named ox on a message board?

Mac: look, you guys, we have heard about it and it's something we'll deal with alright? I hear that ox guy had 600 unique guests on his site, perty cool huh? And yet, my dog Clarabelle could have had more.
That's EXACTLY how that would go :lol2:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Never trust a guy named Steve.
spurrierface2013.gif

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

Spot on :lmao2:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Both threads about this have been locked on TOSs. Seems like this is being swept under the rug. Now I am curious about the scale of the problem.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
This guy is the cohost of a radio show and podcast called The Ultimate SEC Show. He is also a college football reporter for TheReadOptional.com

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
EXCLUSIVE: Gators punish players for misuse of funds

Several Florida football players are dealing with internal punishment over the misuse of school funds, per sources with knowledge of the situation.

The players, who include freshmen, sophomores and soon-to-be NFL Draft picks, were disciplined by the school — including football coach Jim McElwain — having allegedly misused Student Aid debit cards.

The players were alleged to have to taken part in a scheme that saw them purchase electronic products with school-issued debit cards before selling them for cash. While this practice is not uncommon in college football, the Gators’ players then went to university officials to report their cards stolen, so then Florida investigated to see if their was credit card fraud. After investigation officials deemed the cards were not stolen and looked into the purchases, they found the players at fault for misusing funds given to them.

It is unclear what punishment the players received, though some players have missed practice time. One of the players is deemed to have tallied his third infraction with the team, per sources, while the rest were first offenders.

The school did not respond to a request for comment.

https://thereadoptional.com/exclusive-gators-punish-players-for-misuse-of-funds-93765297cd24

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
IAKOW apologizes (sortof) for clickbait headline:

Much ado about nothing: clearing the air about Gators’ credit card adventure

In the 16 hours since I posted the initial story detailing five Gator football players misadventures with a school issued credit card, the Gator portion of the internet went haywire. So it’s time to clear things up.

First, the site was hit with hundreds of thousands of clicks yesterday, and crashed from the overwhelming traffic. So, my apologies for that. In addition to that, people saw the headline that read “…involved in credit card fraud” and freaked out when they were unable to access the story and read the details when in reality they were not so terrible. So my apologies for that, too.

Here’s the bottom line. Five Gator football players did something bad. They did something stupid. They did something they should not have done. The players are guilty of an error of judgment, of not thinking things through, and of sheer carelessness. They are not guilty of some sort of elaborate, truculent scheme to rob anybody. They are not guilty of attempting a full scale theft of some seismic amount of money.

I understand why my headline yesterday, combined with people’s inability to open it, may have caused some alarm. But the issue at hand is not nearly as severe as it was made out to be.

That said: five players did something they should not have done, and for one of them, it’s the latest in a long line of scrapes with the law. And it’s a troubling matter for all five. You can call it what you want, but what they did can be legally classified as fraud. They used a credit card that belonged to the school, with only a few select approved items that could be purchased, to buy things they weren’t supposed to. They then sold the items to make the $1500 back, which they then pocketed. It doesn’t matter that they legally obtained the credit cards; they used them to acquire items with the school’s money that they then sold to make money for themselves. That is stealing. That is fraud. And that is most decidedly not good.

The rumors flying around yesterday indicated that the players were guilty of something much worse, though, so when I posted that the players had committed credit card fraud, a few people claimed clickbait. Here’s the problem with that: just because the reality of a situation fails to match the severity of the rumors doesn’t mean that me posting a headline that could accurately be used to describe both is clickbait. It is legally correct to state that the players committed credit card fraud, which is why I did in my lead in the article yesterday.

But most important is the fact that UF has handled the matter internally. Nobody is getting kicked off the team for it. It’s been taken care of, it’s all over, and hopefully, the players involved learned something valuable from it.

Original Article

Multiple sources have confirmed to me that five Gator football players have been involved in credit card fraud.

Per the source, at some point during Summer B, Antonio Callaway, Jawaan Taylor, Brad Stewart, Kadeem Telfort, and Jordan Smith went into a store and bought $1500 worth of items on three student credit cards. The credit cards were issued to them as part of their athletic scholarship, and were given to purchase items needed as student athletes. The items purchased did not fall under this category. The players then went out and sold the items.

The Gainesville Police Department does not plan on making any arrests, and the University of Florida does not plan on disciplining its players; the school is more interested in being compensated than in punishing the players. Given that the players did not have explicit permission from UF to either buy the items or sell them, that is a form of stealing, so if there were to be charges filed, they would be “scheme to defraud” charges, which are a third degree felony.

At this point, allow me to dispel a few rumors floating around:

-The amount of money spent on the credit cards was not $150,000, but $1500. UF tightly monitors what happens with its credit cards, and would have figured it out immediately had the amount been much more.

-These events took place some time ago, so arrests would have been made had the amount been significantly larger.

-The credit cards did not belong to fellow UF students, and were obtained by the players fully legally. They were not stolen.

-Malik Zaire and Chauncey Gardner, two players rumored to have participated in this, were not involved.

-No player will be kicked out of school or dismissed from the team because of this. If suspensions do happen, they will come from Jim McElwain, not the school, and they figure to be minimal.

I’m still tying up a few loose ends to this story, and will have everything for you by tomorrow or Monday. But for now, know that the crimes committed were not nearly as horrible as the rumors claim they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator