best Dear Abby ever

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have read Dear Abby for as long I could read almost. Close to 60 yrs. Today was craziest.

DEAR ABBY | ABIGAIL VAN BUREN

Disturbing secret revealed as farmstead changes hands

Dear Abby: I need a second opinion. My grandfather sold me an old farmstead that has been in the family for 200 years. Last week, he showed me a wooded area behind the barn with a human skull. He told me that when his father died more than 50 years ago, he was curious about how long it would take a body to decompose, so he left his body in the woods to keep track of its progress. He has 50 years’ worth of pictures and notes. He told the rest of the family that Great-Grandpa had been cremated.

At this point, the skull is all that’s left. I checked with a lawyer, who tells me that in my state no laws were broken. That said, I don’t want my great-grandfather’s skull sitting in the woods behind my barn! My husband says I should quietly bury it, burn the pictures and the notes and forget about it. That just doesn’t feel right to me.

It feels like I’m helping my grandfather get away with something and it feels “icky.” Should I tell the rest of the family, or continue allowing them to believe that Great-Granddad was cremated? I’m resenting my grandfather for putting me in the middle of this, and any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. – Bought More Than I Bargained For

Dear Bargained: Your letter is a first. Why do I get the impression that your grandfather must have HATED his father to have treated his remains so disrespectfully? The farmstead and everything that goes with it is yours now to keep or dispose of.

What you need to do is decide whether to donate your great-grandfather’s skull to a medical or dental school (or coven?), place it in a columbarium or bury it on your property. As to whether to tell the rest of the family, what positive thing would be accomplished by sharing this unpleasantness with them? You are a caring individual; let your conscience be your guide

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Monkey-Puppet.jpg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If that’s the best ever, how dafuq could you read that for 60 years?

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I would just put it on a mantle and when the inevitable questions come, just say - that's the guy that took advantage of my land before I owned it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If that’s the best ever, how dafuq could you read that for 60 years?
Im not sure wtf your point is. I loved reading about people and their problems and her solutions. Im interested in human behaviors and attitudes. Why do you think I visit this lunatic asylum?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Don't know if this happened to any of y'all, but the first thing that popped in my head after reading the thread title was this song.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From my notes, most of the meat is gone pretty quick. Even if animals dont make off with it. Which is where most of the skeleton went, carried away by scavengers. She’s lucky to have that skull, a good scull is hard to find.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From my notes, most of the meat is gone pretty quick. Even if animals dont make off with it. Which is where most of the skeleton went, carried away by scavengers. She’s lucky to have that skull, a good scull is hard to find.
Even more a scullery especially in today’s world.

Of course dear Abby has lead to the downfall of western civilization. That or big brother.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I don't know what you do for a living but... I feel like I should be alarmed that you seem to know so much about this topic? :fear:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Its more like a hobby.
Cool. I can think of several other "notable" individuals who also had unusual hobbies like that...

Son of Sam, Jeffrey Dahmer, Harold Shipman, John Wayne Gacy, etc. just to name a few...

:whistle:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Dear Abby is still going? What is she, 115 years old? If they're recycling old columns, there must be some really dated problems in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator