Best Fish Fry Recipe...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When you've got some fish to fry, how do you season and coat them? My go-to is pretty simple but pretty good to me and the family. Usually catfish, so I'll put a little lemon juice on the filets for starters. Used to be just salt and pepper at this point, but I've tried Everglades for fish and like that with the S&P. Then it's into a mixture of corn meal and flour (about 3:1 meal to flour) and then into the grease until it floats a minute or two. If peanut oil wasn't so expensive, that would be all I use, but vegetable oil isn't too bad. Still, I'm always looking for something good or better. Tell me how you do it and what works best with what fish. Thanks.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When you've got some fish to fry, how do you season and coat them? My go-to is pretty simple but pretty good to me and the family. Usually catfish, so I'll put a little lemon juice on the filets for starters. Used to be just salt and pepper at this point, but I've tried Everglades for fish and like that with the S&P. Then it's into a mixture of corn meal and flour (about 3:1 meal to flour) and then into the grease until it floats a minute or two. If peanut oil wasn't so expensive, that would be all I use, but vegetable oil isn't too bad. Still, I'm always looking for something good or better. Tell me how you do it and what works best with what fish. Thanks.

It depends if you like a thick crust like you get with fish n chips, or if you prefer a thin crust.

What you describe is a thin crust. Very Southern. Only issue I have is your flour to corn meal ratio. I go the other way, more flour, less meal.

If you want to try a slightly thicker crust, season your fish, then dredge lightly in flour, shake off the excess, then place the fish in a milk or egg wash and then into your flour/meal mix. To go a little thicker still, add some bread crumbs or cracker crumbs to the flour/meal mix in your last step.

If you want a really thick crust, go with a batter. Beer batters are great and easy. Throw in an egg. It helps with the color. Trick is your fish has to be dry for the batter to stick.

Don't go too crazy with fish.

But you can go crazy with the sauce. It's the easiest way to change it up.

Like tartar sauce? Screw that premade stuff. Make your own. Mayo, capers (or relish, or a little of both), lemon juice, some creole seasoning (or whatever seasoning you're putting on the fish). Throw a little hot sauce in there when nobody is looking. Like cocktail sauce? Make it yourself. A little extra horseradish and lemon juice makes it pop. Or try something completely different. Couple tablespoons of sour cream or Greek yogurt (heck, even mayo in a pinch), garlic, dill, and lemon juice (salt and pepper). Feeling brave? Grate some cucumber into it (not the seeds, just the flesh). Absolutely fantastic. Don't like dill? Try it with cilantro. Speaking of garlic, try this on fried fish. Make some instant mashed potatoes with water. No butter or milk. Cold. Add a TON of fresh, finely minced garlic, and some vinegar or lemon juice. It will knock your socks off.

The thing about making a sauce like this is if you don't like it, it's not like you have to throw out the fish and dinner is ruined. Make the sauce a day ahead. If you don't like it, toss it out (no great loss) and try another one until you find one you love. It's low risk, high reward.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely Southern is a good way to describe the meal and flour method. Growing up we ate fish (mostly bream, shellcracker, and catfish, with an occasional bass) two or three times a week and that was how they were prepared. I'm usually not much on tartar sauce, mostly because I've only had it out of a jar, but I like your idea on that. I also like the idea about a beer batter (for filets) and seems like it would pair well with malt vinegar.

I know it's what I grew up on, but my fish prep is good to me, especially if the fish is well-seasoned, with some additional lemon juice. They're pretty good on a Po' Boy, too. For that I'll buy a loaf of French bread and butter and toast it on the inside. Lettuce, tomato, white onion, and dill pickle goes well with mayo, mexi-pep, brown mustard, and a little homemade remoulade round it out.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For me, it always depends on the type of fish. Dolphin, grouper, and the thicker-cut, denser-meat fish usually get a decent beer batter. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager for the beer, and just a decent, brand name batter mix. For the the thinner fillets (yellowtail, grunt, other smaller snappers), I like Progresso Lemon Pepper Panko. For catfish, you can't go wrong with your little cornmeal mix you described with just some plain salt and pepper. I cook all of them in vegetable oil in the Fry Daddy.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like to cut my fish into bite size chunks. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with your favorite blend or S&P. Mix up some egg/milk and a touch or h2o. Add in some old bay or Cajun seasoning and make sure it is blended in well and not just sitting on top. Take a bag of your favorite cheese flavored crackers, Cheezits, Nips, etc... Crunch them in the bag and then roll over them with a rolling pin. Or you can add to a food processor. Careful with the food processor as you could end up with a mush if the crackers are too fresh or moist. I like to add additional seasoning to the crackers but it's not necessary. Like mentioned above by Alex you can lightly dredge through seasoned flour before going into the egg wash but again not necessary. Toss into the egg wash and then dredge through the crackers until completely covered. Then fry in your favorite oil.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Definitely Southern is a good way to describe the meal and flour method. Growing up we ate fish (mostly bream, shellcracker, and catfish, with an occasional bass) two or three times a week and that was how they were prepared.
sounds like my childhood. The only difference was we lived about 45 miles from the Gulf. Took the jon boats to SHell Mound (just N of cedar key) and ate lots of trout , small redfish drum and sometimes a flounder or sheephead. THE best was vacation near Sarasota that was snook time.........great eating and fighting fish.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cedar Key is a great little spot, I need to get back there one day. And snook may be some of the finest table fare around.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Zatarian's makes a pretty decent fish batter. I make my own

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First real meal after a bout with diverticulitis, I decided to fry some filets and make fish sandwiches (maybe not the best choice, but I figured that I would use vegetable oil, so caution was thrown to the wind!). I had some catfish and some flounder, seasoned them with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, Everglades seasoning, black pepper, and a pinch of salt. Coated them in a seasoned cornmeal/flour mixture and dropped them until they floated. Hit the filets with another shot of lemon juice and served them on a toasted French roll with mixed greens, onion, and tomato (with the seeds removed). The fish might have been the star, but I followed Alex' suggestion and made some homemade tartar sauce. As I said in response to him, I've never been a fan of tartar sauce, but have only had it out of the jar and it was too thick for my taste. Alex said I should try a homemade recipe and I wouldn't be disappointed, and he was on the money! I googled some recipes and settled on one by Ina Garten that had a base of Mayo, white wine vinegar, brown mustard, finely chopped dill pickle and capers, salt and black pepper. It was outstanding and I think the white wine vinegar was the key. This will be a go-to condiment from now on. Flounder was pretty good but couldn't beat the kitty! My only regret is that I didn't take a picture to share and at the risk of sounding conceited, I highly recommend this to the fish lovers.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Sounds damned good. I like how you have the freshwater and saltwater fish at the same time. I will take the catfish any day. We used to get them out of Watermelon Pond and the meat would almost be orange,.............fine eating

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.