Biggest Redzone Threat This Season

Who will be the most effective pass catcher in the red zone in 2018-19?

• Tyrie Cleveland

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Van Jefferson

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Lucas Krull

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Trevon Grimes

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Kyle Pitts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In Miss States 2 red zone TDs against LSU that QB just ran it in - once right up the middle and the other time after rolling out and freezing LSU defenders making a pass move. Their other 2 TDs that game were wide open receivers on long passes.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
None of the above.

The redzone threat will be whomever runs the wildcat, QB, Kadarius, RB, whomever.

To underscore your point:

Receiving TDs at MSU in 2017: 17

Rushing TDs by Fitzgerald: 14
Rushing TDs by b/u QB Thompson: 6
Rushing TDs by all others: 10

The Power Giraffe is coming...

d3bf7dc17da0a2509c52aadfac853c84.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To underscore your point:

Receiving TDs at MSU in 2017: 17

Rushing TDs by Fitzgerald: 14
Rushing TDs by b/u QB Thompson: 6
Rushing TDs by all others: 10
Should that point need to be emphasized?

Half the people on this board act like theyve never seen the Dan Mullen QB Keeper offense... and most of them are 50 yo or more.

Im blaming Altzheimers.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know a lot of you think we’re gonna run a lot of QB Power, but I don’t think we can really use Mullen’s MSU offenses the past few years and apply it to our personnel this year. None of the QBs on our roster are power runners like Fitzgerald or Tebow. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some Wildcat in the redzone because of our depth at running back, but we are also deep with pass catchers.

Mullen ran a different offense when Chris Leak ran the show as opposed to Tim Tebow. He has adapted the play calling to the strength of his personnel in the past. Feleipe doesn't need to be the most accurate passer in the world to lob the ball up to a 6’7, 6’5, or even a 6’3 guy. That’s all I’m saying.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen ran a different offense when Chris Leak ran the show as opposed to Tim Tebow. He has adapted the play calling to the strength of his personnel in the past..
Yeah, no he didnt. He ran Leak alot and went 1.5 years before figuring out he needed to adjust.

Youre in fantasyland if you think this guy is going to run anything bit HIS offense. He has done it with RBs, receivers, and backup QBs, but there WILL be a redzone wildcat. It is what he does. The play selection will be a different mix but it is all he knows.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, Donkey and a lot of the change was called Billy Latsko. When that changed so did the offense.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
None of the above.

The redzone threat will be whomever runs the wildcat, QB, Kadarius, RB, whomever.

Creyer and Mullinz dont pass in the redzone.

Saban: the problem with the spread is there is nothing to do once you get innthe redzone.

Creyer: that is when you run the single wing.

I cant find the quote at the moment. It was before the Auburn Cam Newton championship game. Can anyone find it?
This is pretty accurate.
I still voted Van Jefferson because I think he's good enough to get open anywhere on the field. Mullen just has to figure out how to get him the ball.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

I think it’s Cleveland among the receivers because to the extent Mullen passes in the red zone, especially inside the 10, it’s a slant to the biggest target more than not (think David Nelson and Riley Cooper). The fade though, I can’t recall any significant fade passes called under Mullen as OC or on watching MSU.

Running wise, I can’t see any of our QBs or wildcats being the primary threat even if part of the play. Dan loves power. We are going to hand off on the inverted Tebow option, with one of Scarlet, Pierce, or Perine running up the middle inside the 5 yard line.

Regardless, “the Power Giraffe is coming” should probably be our 2018 motto. Great line Theo.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Should that point need to be emphasized?

Half the people on this board act like theyve never seen the Dan Mullen QB Keeper offense... and most of them are 50 yo or more.

Im blaming Altzheimers.
I'm blaming Muschamp. When in doubt, that's a safe bet.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no insider info, but I think they both get cleared. It just feels like it is trending in that direction with a couple other transfers being cleared to play in recent days. Hopefully, we’ll find out sooner than later

I hope you're right. If Grimes is eligible that would give us seven solid receivers to rotate with Van, Grimes, Cleve, Freddie, Hammond , Cope
and Toney. I think Copeland and Toney will get the end arounds and reverses, and KT the occasional wildcat helping the backs in the ground game. That will let Massey be the primary return guy on kickoff. I think we will use Toney on PR.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know a lot of you think we’re gonna run a lot of QB Power, but I don’t think we can really use Mullen’s MSU offenses the past few years and apply it to our personnel this year. None of the QBs on our roster are power runners like Fitzgerald or Tebow. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some Wildcat in the redzone because of our depth at running back, but we are also deep with pass catchers.

Mullen ran a different offense when Chris Leak ran the show as opposed to Tim Tebow. He has adapted the play calling to the strength of his personnel in the past. Feleipe doesn't need to be the most accurate passer in the world to lob the ball up to a 6’7, 6’5, or even a 6’3 guy. That’s all I’m saying.

I think Franks will run it quite a bit less than people think. We might see it quite a bit against the opening cupcake but once the SEC schedule starts I doubt Franks gets to run it that much.

The later 2005/2006 Leak stuff was put in there but Leak hardly ran for anything. I doubt he even averaged 2 yards a carry. My guess is we don't see a FB like that this year much and Franks struggles running the ball mostly except for a few longer runs he will get loose on due to his speed once he gets going.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Franks will run it quite a bit less than people think. We might see it quite a bit against the opening cupcake but once the SEC schedule starts I doubt Franks gets to run it that much.

The later 2005/2006 Leak stuff was put in there but Leak hardly ran for anything. I doubt he even averaged 2 yards a carry. My guess is we don't see a FB like that this year much and Franks struggles running the ball mostly except for a few longer runs he will get loose on due to his speed once he gets going.

Exactly! Mullen won’t risk running a QB like Franks because EJ probably isn’t ready (or mature enough yet from the sound of things) to fully run the show. Also, Franks isn’t naturally a running threat. The run he had in the Texas A&M game was an anomaly IMO. When you’re playing basketball and you have a team full of athletes that are big and athletic, you throw alley oops when you’re close to the basket. Let your guys go up and make a play when they are 1-on-1. Mullen would be foolish to try to put a square peg in a round hole.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Leak had 6 rushing TDs in 2005 and 3 in 2006 (Tebow ran for 8.)

In 2005, the Gators had 19 rushing and 20 receiving TDs

In 2006, the team had 24 rushing TDs and 29 receiving TDs.

That’s more balance than I would have expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator