You Got Me Kill Count GIF by Dead Meat James
Think About It GIF by Identity

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Miracle-Whip-Original-Dressing-30-Fl-Oz-Jar-Pack-of-2_a1ecedee-f779-491f-aeb6-021e89b2e6f2.ed3b10ef2c58af39c4ce358909920ec4.jpeg

Definitely not mayo

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Belichick was 36-44 with the Browns and 34-49 without Tom Brady at the Patriots. He is a sub-.500 coach without lucking into the greatest QB of all time. The NFL's version of Jimbo Fisher and Jameis Winston.
This is all the evidence one could ever need that evalauting coaches purely by their win-loss record is easy arithmetic but hazardous as an evaluation/decision-making process.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is all the evidence one could ever need that evalauting coaches purely by their win-loss record is easy arithmatic but hazardous as an evaluation/decision-making process.
You’ve gotta give him credit for the Brady era. He’s the one that made most of their roster decisions and coached/developed the players.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You’ve gotta give him credit for the Brady era. He’s the one that made most of their roster decisions and coached/developed the players.

Also put together the defenses that shut down the opposing teams. As DC for the Giants he shut down the k-gun in the Super Bowl and the Rams offense in 01. Dude was a horrible GM, but still might be one of the best Xs and Os guy to ever walk the plant. Overall it shows how important it is to get the QB position right, especially in the last two decades with the rule changes.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Last edited:

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Probably true. But with Belichick/Brady, they probably needed each other. And Kraft and other folks who helped make it all happen. If Brady goes to some teams, maybe he puts up gaudy stats, but doesn't win as much, especially Super Bowls. There are some teams that he might have gone to that would have wrecked him. Same goes for other QB boom and bust stories.

College is different because of the constant roster turnover, so you can see if the coach has a good system or if he just won the talent lottery early on. But it is more momentum driven in a sense. Not that NFL coaches get a long leash, just that if a guy starts off hot in college, he can usually build on that in recruiting and hiring/retaining quality staff. And, I suspect that in both the bag men and NIL eras, gaining the confidence of boosters has always been an issue. If the money dries up, you are probably just done.

Scott Frost may just suck and may never have worked out, but I have little doubt that it would have worked out better for him at Florida than it did at Nebraska. He didn't make the right move there. Given how Mullen ended up phoning it in, and how things are going now, I doubt it would have been much worse for us either.

I'm neither pumper or dumper at this stage on Napier. My initial reaction was "meh," but then I was hopeful after learning more about what type of coach he was supposed to be. I expected better results. But I still have hope that it will work out. New coaches, hopefully very skillful evaluations in the portal and in recruiting. But the window of opportunity will close quickly due to that whole momentum thing. Recruits and staff aside, if the money dries up, in the NIL era, it is game over. Put another quarter in.

I like some of the hires, but still waiting on an OC and STC (or some on the field coach to own ST).

Right now it seems like a best case scenario is Jimbo/Jameis where Lagway makes Napier look good. Hard to see Napier elevating Lagway to a higher level than he would achieve at many other schools. But I'll take that at the moment...and the dumpster fire aftermath would just be back to the current situation. If we pull off a national title, we would be starting off the next rebuild way better than where we are at now. And we will not have to deal with the shame of crab leg rape stories.
I'm not sure they needed each that much since Brady jumped onto a 8 win bucs and won a superb owl. Meanwhile the pats....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure they needed each that much since Brady jumped onto a 8 win bucs and won a superb owl. Meanwhile the pats....

You mean a Bucs team that should have made a deep playoff run the year before if Jameis didn't have 30 give-aways? Not to knock the importance of Brady, but it's not like that was a bad Bucs team, it was 21 guys who were playoff caliber and one guy who couldn't stop giving the ball to the other team. I mean Mayfield took that same Bucs team from last year, had a better regular season record and won a playoff game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.