Billy Donovan and Corey Brewer reunite

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of feel bad for BD after Durant took off. He is now stuck with a team that has to scratch and claw just to get a playoff bid.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Kind of feel bad for BD after Durant took off. He is now stuck with a team that has to scratch and claw just to get a playoff bid.

That was last year. This year the reason to feel sorry for Donovan is that he has a team packed with possibly misfitting parts like Carmelo Anthony, Westbrook and Paul George.

Last edited:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Love Billy D and hope he does well but I don't feel sorry for him...it was heavily rumored that Durant was looking to bolt before BD ever signed on there. He knew that was a likely situation

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Currently the Thunder are in 7th but are only 1 game in the loss column away from 3rd. The first two teams are the Rockets and Warriors. He could have his team in 3rd place in the division within a week pretty easily. A guy like Brewer (who Billy knows how to use) could definitely be a key piece to help them solidify that 3rd spot and home court for at least one series.

Plus... as this is the first year with all these guys playing together it takes time for them to gel. The assumption would be they get better as the year goes on.

That said... I don't watch the NBA because it just isn't good basketball. The highlight going around of Harden committing an offensive foul by pushing off, then staring a guy down and and hitting a 3 after he fouled to get that open is a perfect example of why I don't watch. Of course... every tweet is saying how great Harden is and all I keep thinking is "WOW... the ref really blew that"

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Love Billy D and hope he does well but I don't feel sorry for him...it was heavily rumored that Durant was looking to bolt before BD ever signed on there. He knew that was a likely situation

I agree. Billy knew exactly what he was getting into with many people counseling him NOT to take the job so what ever happens, happens.
Unfortunately, NBA coaches are hired with the key question being how long before they are fired.
As many of us have said, Billy will be back in college basketball in < five years and it will kill me if he takes a job close to UF.

Again, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I agree. Billy knew exactly what he was getting into with many people counseling him NOT to take the job so what ever happens, happens.
Unfortunately, NBA coaches are hired with the key question being how long before they are fired.
As many of us have said, Billy will be back in college basketball in < five years and it will kill me if he takes a job close to UF.

Again, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

After he moves on, I think he stays in the NBA. He was tired of recruiting. Tired of the kids. Tired of college. He wanted to leave before to go to the magic, but his kids were younger and his wife was not happy about the move to Orlando. So he backed out and stayed in Gainesville for her and to allow the kids to grow up. He was done here when he left IMHO.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Currently the Thunder are in 7th but are only 1 game in the loss column away from 3rd. The first two teams are the Rockets and Warriors. He could have his team in 3rd place in the division within a week pretty easily. A guy like Brewer (who Billy knows how to use) could definitely be a key piece to help them solidify that 3rd spot and home court for at least one series.

Plus... as this is the first year with all these guys playing together it takes time for them to gel. The assumption would be they get better as the year goes on.

That said... I don't watch the NBA because it just isn't good basketball. The highlight going around of Harden committing an offensive foul by pushing off, then staring a guy down and and hitting a 3 after he fouled to get that open is a perfect example of why I don't watch. Of course... every tweet is saying how great Harden is and all I keep thinking is "WOW... the ref really blew that"

That wasn’t a foul. He never extended his forearm. Have you ever played basketball? I coach 12 years old to do that to get separation.

Ridiculous post.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Two of my favorite Gator greats of all time. I'll never forget the look of steely focus and determination on Brewer's face, as he was being introduced before the NC game against OSU. I knew in my heart that we would not lose - because he wouldn't let it happen. I truly believe his over-the-top performance and leadership that night was the difference between winning, and allowing the refs to succeed in stealing the game from us - which they absolutely tried to do. I can't remember the name of the head official for the game, but I remember a commentator (Brando?) referring to him and his "merry band of thieves" after the game. To this day, I despise OSU almost as much as I revere CB and BD.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Two of my favorite Gator greats of all time. I'll never forget the look of steely focus and determination on Brewer's face, as he was being introduced before the NC game against OSU. I knew in my heart that we would not lose - because he wouldn't let it happen. I truly believe his over-the-top performance and leadership that night was the difference between winning, and allowing the refs to succeed in stealing the game from us - which they absolutely tried to do. I can't remember the name of the head official for the game, but I remember a commentator (Brando?) referring to him and his "merry band of thieves" after the game. To this day, I despise OSU almost as much as I revere CB and BD.

And yet, posu fans will tell you UF was mugging their geriatric C the whole game. The reality is the old man should’ve fouled out in the first half, but he was allowed to play way more physical than our big men.

But them Gator Boys were HOT!!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Love me some Brewer and his headband back in the day. Long live the '04's.

But Brewer's days are over. He's a career 8.8 pt scorer and hasn't avg'd over ten in a few years.

Billy will be back in college in a couple years...probably Duke or Tucky.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was last year. This year there reason to feel sorry for Donovan is that he has a team packed with possibly misfitting parts like Carmelo Anthony, Westbrook and Paul George.
Esp considering the hand-wave Carmelo substitutes for defense.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
And yet, posu fans will tell you UF was mugging their geriatric C the whole game. The reality is the old man should’ve fouled out in the first half, but he was allowed to play way more physical than our big men.

But them Gator Boys were HOT!!!

I'm glad that virtually everyone outside of Columbus saw the same thing you and I did. If not for the refs, we would've beaten them down even worse than we did earlier in the season (26 point margin?). After that game, and the 2006 FB NC, I have nothing but contempt for that program and her fans.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the nostalgic-kick, GatorJ. It's always fun to pull up our 2 natty wins and watch those personality-kids play at bball. Richards was "workhorse" amazing. The announcers said, " On any other team in the nation he would be their star."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Love me some Brewer and his headband back in the day. Long live the '04's.

But Brewer's days are over. He's a career 8.8 pt scorer and hasn't avg'd over ten in a few years.

Billy will be back in college in a couple years...probably Duke or Tucky.

No way he goes to Kentucky.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No way he goes to Kentucky.
:rolleyes4:

Dude, Kintucky is going to offer him six, eight million, whatever it takes.

What you mean is no way you will NOT handle it well when he does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.