Billy the Kid

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bright young guy, energetic, snappy buzz cut, says all the right things, is going about building in a highly organized fashion.

And yet I can't get jazzed. Not yet. Am I alone? Let me know.

You have coaches who build one agonizing block at a time and you have those who do fast fix. Spurrier fixed things. You could give him a diabetic and two paraplegics and still know he was gonna find a way to put up 35 before the half. Napier and his army of ants are on a mission to build an anthill one tiny grain at a time. It feels like being set up to watch St. Augustine grow. Zzzzzz.

I like fixers, but I'm pulling for the builder even if my time horizon says hell no.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well, as a native of St. Augustine with large families on each side still there, I can tell you that St. Auggie ain't what it used to be and we're not happy with where it's at currently. So, if that's the analogy then we should all go to that new website Ox created called www.fireBillyNapiernow.com

However, I'm a fan.
:chomp:

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
St. Augustine.

4dedea7cd657673304b81b90d5a1707e.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bright young guy, energetic, snappy buzz cut, says all the right things, is going about building in a highly organized fashion.

And yet I can't get jazzed. Not yet. Am I alone? Let me know.

You have coaches who build one agonizing block at a time and you have those who do fast fix. Spurrier fixed things. You could give him a diabetic and two paraplegics and still know he was gonna find a way to put up 35 before the half. Napier and his army of ants are on a mission to build an anthill one tiny grain at a time. It feels like being set up to watch St. Augustine grow. Zzzzzz.

I like fixers, but I'm pulling for the builder even if my time horizon says hell no.
I mean, shouldn't he get at least into the first season to "fix" things?
What's he been here now, less than 4 months?
You already bought up FireNapier.com didn't you? ;)

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Slow day on the ranch.....

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
We can go slow this time. We have all experienced that feeling. When SOS did it he was doing it for all the Gators that had waited a lifetime. I will say when we won each natty I soaked it all in like it would be our last, even held a gator party on the night of the next years NC game. I'm sure many young Gators didn't and thought we would win it every year.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I wouldn’t say he’s moving slow:

he got the players out of section 8 and into roof top pool condo housing.

Fixed the food situation.

Installed a huge staff that keeps growing.

Appears to have a NIL “portal” set up to get the kids paid. (Gotta dance with the devil)

Rebuilding bridges that MusMacMullen burned with high schools (that coaching clinic, Chalk Talk, has some impressive attendees)

Dont know how much faster you can move before spring ball even started

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, like @Alumni Guy , I’m not sure how he’s starting off slow. He’s been a million places in just over 3 months, completely salvaged a recruiting class, has done marvels in not just getting the funding for staff increases but has them in place, changed the food and dorms, structured the NIL side of things, etc. There’s been literally nothing that indicates a “brick by brick”, slow approach thus far. I’d almost argue he’s a year or two ahead of schedule.

I’d say 78 is drunk, but I think we all just assume that at this point. And good for him. He’s earned a mid morning martini.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
St. Augustine.

4dedea7cd657673304b81b90d5a1707e.jpg
Why did you pick what is literally the fastest-growing cultivar of grass for your analogy? Are you saying Napier will only take one spring to bring us greener pastures? 'Cause that's what St. Augustine grass does, it turns your brown patch of cattle land into a green pasture in only one spring. If grass were an action hero, St. Augustine would basically be Bruce Willis.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I will say when we won each natty I soaked it all in like it would be our last. I'm sure many young Gators didn't and thought we would win it every year.
I think that was easy to do. After Urbs won the second one, there was so much talent coming back and the recruiting seemed great, so it was easy to look from the outside and think it was going to last a long time. Wasn't until later that we all saw the cracks in the foundation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator