Bird-Magic Rivalry Began Here

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA Final on March 26, 1979 -- 39 years ago today.

Like all highlight reels from back then, everyone looks like a stick figure. :lol:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I remember when I was going to Stetson in 1978 and ISU came to play in the Hatter Classic. This was early in the year that ISU played Michigan State in the final. They broke the century mark against both ECU and Cleveland State. I remember thinking (as I was watching from the stands) that Bird was kind of quiet that weekend, that he was passing more and getting more rebounds but just wasn't scoring much. Then I looked at the stat lines and he was hitting close to 30 each game. He was all business on the court. Never saw a big guy with a smooth shot like he had with either hand.

We did sit in the stands with him on the second day and watch Stetson put triple figures on ECU. There weren't many fans in the stands due to the holiday break. I don't remember much of what we talked about, but I do remember him being just a bit smarter than a sack of hammers at the time. But he seemed like a pretty cool guy and we enjoyed hanging out for the game. Of course, we WERE in DeLand and there wasn't much to do for entertainment over the Christmas break...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look at Bird swat away balls on defense in that reel. The guy was a phenomenal athlete.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look at Bird swat away balls on defense in that reel. The guy was a phenomenal athlete.
His skills tend to be underappreciated these days. He'd definitely be on my all-time starting 5.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
His skills tend to be underappreciated these days. He'd definitely be on my all-time starting 5.

As fierce a competitor as any, ever.

Read a story where a reporter asked how having 2 fingers taped together would affect his shooting. He replied “I could tape my hand in a fist and hit more free throws than you.” The reporter had been a decent HS player and took the challenge. He hit 7 of 10. Bird hit 8 of 10.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I vividly remember watching that game. Pretty sure it was a school night and my folks let me stay up.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The amazing thing about Larry was the fact that he kept getting better. I mean every year he was better than the year before. It just didn’t seem possible.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
The amazing thing about Larry was the fact that he kept getting better. I mean every year he was better than the year before. It just didn’t seem possible.
He was better than most players even after his back started giving out. Unreal.

I used to go to a bar in Martin County that had an autographed pic of Bird, McHale, and Parrish walking on the court together. As a lifelong Celtics fan I MIGHT have daydreamed about how I could pinch that photo from the wall...

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Bird, Magic, MJ...these guys all kept working at their craft. They kept adding nuances to their game and improving on perceived weaknesses. A lot of guys today are more what you see is what you get. Not as many keep getting better.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
When Larry became head coach of the Pacers he brought the team to Disney to do their preseason camp, circa 1998, his first year. This is a Pacers team with Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin, etc...I was the director of the fitness center, spa and basketball gym where they were holding their practices. This is different than Wide World of Sports as they wanted more privacy. We set up the gym with our logo chairs, towels, water, etc. I walked over to Larry and ask if everything looks good and he total deadpans me and looks me in the eye and says "Remove the chairs....my players do not sit during practice." Larry was setting the tone. It was funny to see Reggie Miller grabbing his shorts. After the first practice, a few of us were hanging around on the court and Larry starting shooting hoops with us. I said to myself "Holy ****, I am shooting hoops with Larry Bird!!!" Very nice, cordial and quiet.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I vividly remember watching that game. Pretty sure it was a school night and my folks let me stay up.

Yep DVR’s pretty much killed that. But so has Free Agency.

They should market cap free agents 2 to 3 times heavier than drafted talent.

That would stop this super team nonsense. Unless you draft well. Or develop well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When Larry became head coach of the Pacers he brought the team to Disney to do their preseason camp, circa 1998, his first year. This is a Pacers team with Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin, etc...I was the director of the fitness center, spa and basketball gym where they were holding their practices. This is different than Wide World of Sports as they wanted more privacy. We set up the gym with our logo chairs, towels, water, etc. I walked over to Larry and ask if everything looks good and he total deadpans me and looks me in the eye and says "Remove the chairs....my players do not sit during practice." Larry was setting the tone. It was funny to see Reggie Miller grabbing his shorts. After the first practice, a few of us were hanging around on the court and Larry starting shooting hoops with us. I said to myself "Holy ****, I am shooting hoops with Larry Bird!!!" Very nice, cordial and quiet.
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Bird was a tremendous coach. The Pacers took the eventual champion Bulls to seven games in the Eastern final that year.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The NBA was fantastic back then. Now...not so much.

I’m a NBA junkie and have loved the game through every era. Still love it. Get to as many Heat games as I can. We’re not the greatest of teams but we are defensive oriented and team oriented with great ball movement....we have 8 (!) players averaging in double figures.

I simply can’t have a bad time at a Heat game. Always enjoy it immensely.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bird is flat out my favorite player. He had the most perfect, effortless jump shot I have ever seen. And then of course there was all the rest that made him great.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bird wasn't just another pretty face. Dood was a wizard.

I'm thinking Bird was responsible for Indiana State getting to the NC game. I'm sure IS had a team of good players, but they prolly came there to play with Bird. He was something great to tout about being on a successful team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.