Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Florida State

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Beginning this piece at 24-16 with the end of the third approaching. What I feared would happen is happening...a poor F$U bunch is beating us with a lot of help from us! I got up to get another beer when we were down after the scoop and score (yeah, it was a Bud Light and I'm drinking mean today), and I thought that if we lose the turnover battle, we lose the game. As I returned to the TV, we get a tip drill pick and go on to score. We've got a chance, I'm thinking. Of course, we turn it over two more times that lead to scores and I'm drinking some more. At least I'm at Mexico Beach watching. Lot of more fun things I can do down here...go see if the Wunder Bar is still open (actually met Rick Flair there many years ago) and drink myself blind(er), get in a fight at Mango Marley's with the pro-Nole bunch, drive to Calloway and score some meth. The possibilities are limitless :). End of the third and it's still 24-16. We're in it still, but it's shakey. With that, let's talk some specifics...

*Tavin Bryan is becoming what Issac Hayes once sang about Shaft..."he's a bad mutha (shut yo mouth)!" Kid has come on from the middle of the season. He's gonna be a game changer. Already is.

*Front seven has not been bad. VoJo has made some nice plays and got a nice lick in on the QB. CeCe has had some really good moments. Glad he's playing more at DE than inside. Already mentioned Bryan. Secondary? Some good (Duke with a pick, some good coverage, and a couple of stops in run support; 23 with a couple of good plays, one PBU), some bad, as we give up a scoring toss on a post and let a guy get behind us to set up the score that puts us down 31-16 in the fourth.

*Pardon my profanity, but a second f**king pick six?! Alright, the Noles f**ked this one up, but still looks like they'll score. I've been in the camp that Franks needed to be coached up better than it appeared, as he was already behind out of high school in terms of QB fundamentals, but his performance today...:facepalm:. Despite a few good throws, he looks like a cross between a guy that might not have what it takes mentally (the physical part is there) and a sixteen year old trying to get his first piece of @ss. Still,making the same mistakes from beginning to end. Runs out of bounds for a three yard loss, has Powell open on a post with his eyes on him and can't pull the trigger (we settle for a FG), the picks...GD. The OL didn't help him much, but neither did he.

*The OL...:puke:. Worst I've seen at UF in a long time. Just the stuff I see them doing (or not doing) game in and game out. Some particulars from today include our LT whiffing on a speed rush that results in the Franks' turnover for a score, Ivey with two notable whiffs on a failed G-Scheme and a pass pro, Fred Johnson gets defeated by a shoulder pad slap and the Wildcat handoff to Powell is destroyed in the backfield. The whole bunch has given up five sacks today with 6:00 minutes to go. Going back to the LT getting schooled on the speed rush, his footwork was just awful. Clearly the DE was his guy and his first move should have been a kick-slide to gain depth. His first steps were about six inches each and the DE was by him before he hardly got his arms outstretched. Technique was just awful. I know we're scraping the barrel bottom at this point in the season, but this is stuff that should have been in place coming out of high school and refined during spring ball, camp, and during the course of the season. It hasn't been happening. This should be priority one with the new guy. We'll never be good again until this piece is fixed.

*I like Perine and I think he works hard, but unless he improves quite a bit, he's probably looking at third or fourth back status next season. He's better when he can get a head of steam, but he's too slow starting off and not physical enough to compensate. Would have liked to see Thompson and Lemons get more carries today.

*Couldn't get away without a couple of Spec Team gaffs. Blocked FG. KO out of bounds (though it really didn't matter). At least Townsend was helping cover his punts.

*Brandon Powell was our MVP. Hate to see the little guy go. A bit undersized and not uber talented, he was a hard worker and a good Gator. Wish we had a lot more with his heart.

*A couple of good things happen despite the loss...no more Nussmeier offense (and damned if I didn't see us run two posts from opposite sides of the formation that almost resulted in a collision), no more Nord Spec Teams, and a chance to get a guy (and staff) that can start turning this eight year slop jar around.

5 straight losses to F$U. Again, they were bad, we were worse. Pretty much sums it up. Even though we lost out in the Chip Kelly sweepstakes (more on this to come), I'm looking forward to a change in leadership. I still can't believe that last jackass was as good as we could have gotten, even in a year where prime candidates weren't in abundance. We've got to get a better guy, by comparison if nothing else (but I'm not settling for just that). Time to hope yet again. Next year, baby. Go Gators!

:chomp:

*Addendum*
This might fit better in the Chip Kelly thread and the mods can cut and paste or delete this for that matter, but I'd rather put it here than add on to that 300+ page Epic of Gilgamesh.

My thoughts on the Kelly fandango are that he likely wasn't coming despite our best efforts or miscues (depending on which you believe was in abundance). Kelly, from what I've read, seen, and heard is quite the eccentric genius/mad scientist. He's good at what he does, but like many of his descriptor, he is either uninterested or scared sh!tless where the PR requirements (and maybe recruiting needs) of the HBC are concerned. Almost a social recluse. We can sit back and say as long as he wins, I don't care if he ever speaks to Stricklin, Fuchs, or a Bull Gator, but that will never work here. Selling season tickets and merchandise is great, but you've got to have a guy that understands the need to schmooze the boosters. He's also got to have a good rapport with administration (how'd that piece work out Jim?).

To sum it up, he would have been a splash, but I think that as the ripples vanished, we'd see he probably hit his head on the bottom of the pool. I think he knew this. One last thing, he had a great collegiate W/L record. A lot of football coaches in their prime or heading to the other side wouldn't want to risk diminishing this stat in the SEC. Kind of a pride/vanity thing among egocentrics and narcissists. I think he was one of those. So who do we hire next? :dunno: With Nebraska firing Riley today, you have to think that further clouds things where Frost is concerned. Norvell? Strong? Should make the next few weeks as interesting and nerve-racking as the previous three. Wonder if it'll generate 300 more pages? :)

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This Thanksgiving weekend I’m thankful for Cover2.

And I’m thankful I’m not a damn dirty ‘Nole. F those bastards.

Alex.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This hole we're in seems pretty deep, pretty dark. Thanks for the take, agree with the CK assessment in general. We have a man's size job here at Florida that requires stewardship, mentoring and a champions ego.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well SS should make the opening at Nebraska work in our favor, since how hard can it be to display better facilities now & upcoming, more fertile recruiting grounds, shorter times away from young son, better living weather, bigger money offered, easier to attract top assistants, less $ spent on ice-tires (safer driving for wife & child), less drive-time to the beach than Neb, never forced to go to the Burlington Coat Factory, etc.etc.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
Lol ... God Bless Cover2's dedication to writing all of those words. Anyone who watched the game doesn't want to relive it. Thank God the season is over. I have never ever in my entire Gator existence ever been this underwhelmed on Saturdays. I looked at that TV in the 1st half, saw empty seats, shook my head then realized I wouldn't want to be there. I am not a fair weather fan nor a bandwagon fan. I am just so numb to watching that crap for the last 7 years that I just don't care anymore. And I swear ESPN was putting that Chip Kelly crap on their ticker every 3 minutes on purpose ... then followed that ticker up with the Nebraska fired Riley ticker every single damn time ... to further drive the message. Just sick of watching it.

And one more thing ... burn those damn helmets.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
C2... I would like to thank you for your dedication to submitting these threads week end and week out. We can all assume, that it has been painful for you to type the words, as it has been for us to read the words that apply to out play this year Let us hope that our UAA will have the fortitude to make the right hire this time so that you words may come easier, and with more enthusiasm.

I always look forward to your analysis, and will continue to do so in the future.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
yes, the helmets suck... a single F is for failure, every time I see it, just saying.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks guys. It's both a pleasure and a privilege to share my thoughts and analyses with you...in all kinds of weather. You guys know I'm a TP fan, not much for backing down.

Now about those helmets (and choice of unis)...kinda looked a little Cane-ish on TV, just not so much in their championship years ;)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mercy killing. The o line was garbage. Mac called it a strength. Liar.

It's over. And the nightmare is just beginning. Looks like Norvell might be the guy.

Thanks for all your great work this year.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Thanks Cover - I watched it from Cape San Blas, nice day, beach walks with dogs got me away from the sh@tshow going on in Gainesville. That nole team sucked azz and we paved the way for them to blow us out of the Swamp. Franks should never take another snap as QB he is just too gawdawful to train. Thankful that these trashbin coaches are packing up and leaving town. GTFO and don't come back. No idea what Gator Nation is in for next, but better coaching has to be assured after living with these million-dollar carpetbaggers.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Cover - I watched it from Cape San Blas, nice day, beach walks with dogs got me away from the sh@tshow going on in Gainesville. That nole team sucked azz and we paved the way for them to blow us out of the Swamp. Franks should never take another snap as QB he is just too gawdawful to train. Thankful that these trashbin coaches are packing up and leaving town. GTFO and don't come back. No idea what Gator Nation is in for next, but better coaching has to be assured after living with these million-dollar carpetbaggers.
Thank you, Tuna. Got out and walked a bit myself. I'm at that point with Franks, too. The only guy I wouldn't mind seeing retained would be Seider. Met him a few weeks back when he was recruiting, introduced myself, and had a good conversation. I think he's legit and could help whoever comes in, provided that they wanted him on their staff. All the others, good luck at their next stop. It's hard for me to think we could have a much worse hire, but I thought the same thing when Muschamp was let go. Still think Stricklin has the opportunity to get it right. Time will tell. Next time I'm down this way, I might look you up for a cold one and some Gator talk.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Beth Mowins was making fun of our offensive coordinator's play calling.

Let that sink in.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I'd love to share a cold one and suck down some oysters - we'd have a lot to talk about for sure! This is the best place I've found to escape some stress. It would be nice if our Gators would help by turning on the wins... To the next HBC - Cheers! :swampqueen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.