Bits & Pieces: Florida vs McNeese St

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks as always, c2!

While we cleaned a lot up, there were still a couple of things that drove me nuts, because it shows a lack of discipline.

1. There were a couple of times when a defender failed to wrap up, and the ball carrier gained another 5-10 yds. I guess old habits are hard to break, because tg certainly didn't teach proper technique. Thankfully, those were the exceptions last Saturday, not the rule.

2. You know why the D couldn't stop them on 4th & 2 in the 1st half? Because we were too busy dancing after a big stop on 3rd down to be prepared for the quick snap. Pay attention and focus on the next play!

Other than that, we got to enjoy a much better game. I can tolerate some of the other mistakes due to the high volume of freshmen/transfers that create a lack of experience and unit cohesion, as long as we see steady improvement over the season.

BTW, the longsnapper needs a wake up call. He's probably the only LS on scholarship in all of college football (brilliant, dan!), so he better earn it with perfect play. Another mistake like that and he should have the scholly revoked.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks as always, c2!

While we cleaned a lot up, there were still a couple of things that drove me nuts, because it shows a lack of discipline.

1. There were a couple of times when a defender failed to wrap up, and the ball carrier gained another 5-10 yds. I guess old habits are hard to break, because tg certainly didn't teach proper technique. Thankfully, those were the exceptions last Saturday, not the rule.

2. You know why the D couldn't stop them on 4th & 2 in the 1st half? Because we were too busy dancing after a big stop on 3rd down to be prepared for the quick snap. Pay attention and focus on the next play!

Other than that, we got to enjoy a much better game. I can tolerate some of the other mistakes due to the high volume of freshmen/transfers that create a lack of experience and unit cohesion, as long as we see steady improvement over the season.

BTW, the longsnapper needs a wake up call. He's probably the only LS on scholarship in all of college football (brilliant, dan!), so he better earn it with perfect play. Another mistake like that and he should have the scholly revoked.
I know Mullen signed a “5 Star Long Snapper” but I thought I heard he left the team?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
He's probably the only LS on scholarship in all of college football
This right here is indicative of the piss poor culture and focus our football program has. We lack institutional drive to be exceptional, to be winners and to crush our opponents. We are managed like an accounting firm. There are probably 50 kids on campus, and or transfers, that would go nuts for the opportunity to put on a Gator jersey. The scholly should be for a talented baller who will be on the field more than 5/6 plays.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
but, but... Mullet is smarter than everyone!

Grumbler

Lifetime Member
Nov 24, 2017
Just seems like an entirely different mindset on defense this year, aggressive and not letting opponents dictate. And Armstrong getting a little bit nuts on the sideline, love to see it. Please no 11 yards off the WRs every down against Tennessee.

It's a good sign if the change is truly an acknowledgment and adaptation by Napier. We just have too many athletes on defense to play scared money on so many downs.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I know Mullen signed a “5 Star Long Snapper” but I thought I heard he left the team?
I thought the "5 star LS" was Rocco (and he was mentioned in an article as the LS on that botched extra point) but I can't be 100% sure.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I think Max was arguing about the play calling with the signals going back and forth, It was after the Battle fumble I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
IIRC, Max threw two passes when in the game; both to the right sideline about 10 to 15 yards downfield. Both throws were strong, accurate and showed off his arm but he stared down the receiver both times. The first throw was complete for a first down. The second one was almost intercepted for a possible pik-6 and ended the drive. The near pik-6 prompted the sideline talk with Coach Nap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator