Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Think Mac might be piping in a little George Harrison on the Sitar instead of the elevator music?

Billy Idol at 2-clicks less than Deafening ought to pump 'em up.

Or if they can do video ... and this is not go over well with the politically correct crowd ... the helicopter attack scene from Apocalypse Now. Also LOUD.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thanks C2,
Some random additions from a cluttered mind

• Peerines left handed grab of a terrible pitch was a huge play. It would have been a live ball that could easily have been 6.
  • Tabor has been in the NFL all year....nough said
  • A lot of young guys really stepped up on the OL and LB and played great. Good to see for the future.
  • AA showed us the advantage a running qb gives you in our current state. Big arm also.
  • Thompson, omg, want to love the guy, but way too many drops this year.
  • TE, well wide receivers who either can sometimes catch and difficult in blocking.. Thompson?
  • JS keep up the hard running.
  • We see flashes from some of the freshman WR, like to see more
  • Play calling...wow...started strong and then sucked all the momentum out of the team. AA had a few boneheads that helped.
Wouldn't mind seeing Franks get some playing time this year to gain experience for next year. Burns a year, who cares, if he is really good, he won't stay 4 and if he sucks it doesn't matter.

Whoever plays, please lord, a few more wins so we can recruit some lineman!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought in general the team played much better and with more energy... it was a home game and senior day so I am sure that helped.

The young LBs played very good and that was nice to see.

The offense was great in the first half and with the exception of two fumbles could have had more points. The Appleby fumble I'll let go.. exchange between 3rd string center and 2nd string QB ... I can see a mistake being made there.

Thompson's fumble was horrible. He was going down and just didn't hold the ball as tightly as he should all the way to the ground.

The offense in the second half was frustrating. We should have scored another TD (Callaway's drop), but we went way too conservative in the 4th quarter and if USC scores a late TD they are an onside kick and hail mary away from shocking us. We need to put teams away and not put ourselves in position to lose!

I hope this team comes out fired up and shocks us and the world against LSU. I'm just worried they are going to run all over us. That seems to happen whenever we play a physical team.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
It was great to see them beat South Carolina. The Gators showed more enthusiasm than I've seen all year.

With that said, I think LSU and FSU are going to beat the Gators pretty badly. Let's hope not. This season has been full of surprises! I want to see the Gators in the SEC Championship game.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
The best thing I got from the game was, as others have said, was the "W". That and sending Mr. Mushcramp slinking out of The Swamp still trying to find the mid-line. I was encouraged by the overall level of play by the team, but homecoming and Mushcramp should light some fires. So I was happy with the win, and yet (ooops), I still don't have much confidence in this staff. So many of the problems (failure to play a full game, poor tackling, stupid penalties, leaving dozens of point on the field, un-sustained blocking and such) are all attributable to coaching. And being this far into the season, I kinda doubt that this staff has a clue as to how to correct those things.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
  • D had a good showing. The front was pretty good and I think the young LB's acquitted themselves pretty well. In the secondary, however, I can't say I was overly impressed with Tabor, who looked pretty sh!tty in coverage, and Marcel Harris was the guy who stepped up and made a couple of big plays. Thankfully the front kept the pressure on Bentley or we might have been in trouble.
  • Play calling I thought was good for the most part in the first half, but became kinda stale in the second. Scarlett's rushes and Eddy's FG's kept the Cocks at bay
  • Callaway's return for the TD that was nullified by the hold (which I thought was marginal at best) was beautiful and he was a couple of stumbles away from having a couple more big returns and maybe a TD from one or more. Could've been a Quez Green-like day (who I think had a multiple TD return day against the Cocks).

A good part of this season, I watch opposing WR's drop balls when they had a chance for big plays and I scream at the tv "Who sucks at coverage" and 80+% of the time it is Tabor/Wilson. They have been saved by drops A LOT. Yeah, they got some INTs, but they have been exposed a few times, and should have been exposed a lot more given their play.

I still haven't watched the 2nd half. After reading up on this thread, I'm afraid to, if our play calls on offense went backwards again. This is getting nauseating.

I watched the replay from the endzone where they were running toward, and it clearly looks (to me) like the USCe player has ahold of our blocker's jersey as he is going down. In other words, their player that fell was HOLDING us.

Everyone's been focused on Callaway and Cleveland, but count me as a fan of Swain and Hammond. These two young guns have been fairly steady contributors all year, especially for a couple freshmen, and when we get the QB situation sorted (i.e. NO MORE DEL PUTO) they're going to give our WR corps some really dangerous potential.

I agree on the WR corps. Callaway is a known threat to draw attention, and I love that Cleveland is giving us a second option that can make plays. But I'm also getting eager for the other young guys to start making a name. I see flashes from them, but want to see more. It all hinges on a competent QB that can read and deliver, consistently.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the replay from the endzone where they were running toward, and it clearly looks (to me) like the USCe player has ahold of our blocker's jersey as he is going down. In other words, their player that fell was HOLDING us.

I agree on the WR corps. Callaway is a known threat to draw attention, and I love that Cleveland is giving us a second option that can make plays. But I'm also getting eager for the other young guys to start making a name. I see flashes from them, but want to see more. It all hinges on a competent QB that can read and deliver, consistently.

That's what I saw - their guy holding/tacking our guy and our guy gets the call.
Swain and Hammond did well - it was good to see our QB actually target them and hit them with accurate passes.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not really football related, but saw this photo in the box...

i

Is that an old shirt Mac had when he played guitar for Cheap Trick?

images
images

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Beating LSU...

Simple, really. Do what most would do against us if LDR were still under center. Load up the front and make him beat you. Of course, Fournette is a different beast, so you've got to keep him bottled up. DE's can't get up field like they've had a propensity to do and everybody else has to control the gaps. DBU needs to show up in a big way to support such a plan if enacted. Otherwise, don't turn it over to them when we have it. Simple :)

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't say I'm real impressed with Mac's wardrobe selection... where's the wife intervention on that look? Yeah that has Belk Lindsey written all over it. :eek3:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.