Bits & Pieces: Florida vs South Carolina

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After entering the game cautiously optimistic, I have to admit to having a feeling that the chance to grab that elusive road win was slipping away with the blocked field goal attempt in the 4th quarter (Heavens! The ’Reverse Cock Block?!’). Despite some signs of life in a downfield passing attack, a response to calls far and wide to attack vertically more than horizontally, the OL was unable to provide a consistent pocket and untimely penalties seemed to continue popping up at the worst times and voila, a 10 point late 4th quarter deficit was sneering “not today Gators!”

The entire game to this point had played, in my mind at least, like a rambling, up and down, Bob Dylan ballad. “Tangled Up in Blue” maybe. Not what I was hoping for against the 2-3 Cocks. I was more in the mood for “Mama Said Knock You Out” or even a celebratory “Jump Around!” It was looking like it wasn’t meant to be. And then almost as suddenly, it was. A Mertz to Boardingham pass with 4:40 remaining culminated a drive to cut the USCe lead to 3. Then after forcing a punt and converting on a long 4th down to Pearsall and a deflection off Pearsall’s hands to Trey Wilson, Mertz hit “Pretty Ricky” on a skinny post for the go-ahead and ultimate winning score with :47 seconds remaining. Spencer Rattler, who was 23-30 with 4 TDs, had one last shot but was intercepted and after a series of kneel-downs, a safety, and a successful kick cover, the road woes were temporarily over and the Gators had a two game winning streak. Someone on the “SEC Final“ quoted the Old Ball Coach…”God smiled on the Gators!” Yes He did.

* Good Numbers: Mertz 30-48, 423 yds, 3TDs. Pearsall 10 rec, 166 yds, TD. Boardingham 5 rec, 55 yds, TD. Trey Wilson 8 rec, 83 yds.

* Bad Numbers: UF 71 rushing yds. Mertz sacked 3 times. 6 penalties for 48 yds including a pressure resulting in intentional grounding and a roughing the passer that kept a USCe drive alive. As previously mentioned, Rattler 23-30, 313 yds, 4 TDs.

* SEC pre-game crew was 1-3 on their picks for the USCe / UF game with Timmy being the only host picking the Gators to overcome the road woes on this Saturday! Great Gator to a fault!

* Not happy with several No-calls by the officiating crew Saturday, but struggling and poor teams can’t expect to be bailed out with calls and to our credit we were able to win without them. A step toward maturity?

Even though it’s nice to get to bask in the glow of a much-needed win that featured an offensive coming-out of sorts, the reality is that after a bye week we’ve got the grinder facing us the rest of the way, starting with the Dawgs in Jacksonville. But we’re heading in at 5-2 instead of the reverse and on a two game upswing. The Mutts looked a little more pedestrian against spunky Vandy, it’s a rivalry, so who’s to say we can’t make a game of it? But the offensive improvements will have to expand beyond the passing game numbers and include much, much better protection and the ability to run more effectively once more. Defensively, we’ve got to pressure and cover better, lest Beck continues his good QB play of late.

The theme of one game at a time, improve incrementally, continues. It looks daunting and many forecasters give us a chance for maybe, maybe one more win. But that’s not what we’re playing for. I think despite the struggles, you’ve got to give Billy some credit for the aggressive changes to the offense and for a little up-tick in the in-game and sideline energy. Mertz and Pearsall attested to the upbeat and focused preparation that obviously played a hand in the overall attitude and determination that helped make Saturday’s victory possible. Young team growing up and believing? Why not? It’s about time and what’s expected, isn’t it? Football and sports in general are greatly affected by generated momentum. The possum made it across the road. Let’s build on it and keep it going in Jax in two weeks!

Go Gators!
:chomp:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Great write-up Cover, If we don't learn to wrap up, it's gonna be a long afternoon. It's so frustrating to watch defenders over-pursuing and letting the ball carrier get between us & the line of scrimmage. We are young but hopefully coach-able to correct these critical mistakes. ( I can only hope) anyway the leghumpers can be beat, will it it be us who does?
GO Gators...

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Good job Cover , Guess you could say the ball bounced our way yesterday, starting with that tipped ball to Wilson,
So many big plays by our receivers , Jackson’s layout catch for a 52 yd gain, Boardinghams TD was a hell of a catch, Wilson’s tipped ball catch was impressive and Pearsalls winning TD had Doering got a touchdown written all over it.
The possum lives on but must cross a six lane highway in Jville.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Enjoying this last cup of coffee with your post @cover2 and it is spot on.

This team is like building (part of) the program. It has to be one step (week) at a time. It is very hard to temper expectations and not get too ahead of ourselves. But this team is playing the hardest schedule and playing the most freshmen in the country. So the week to week, breaks, and mistakes are going to come with it. Again the most important thing I see continuing is this team seems to remain calm. Many of our recent teams would have shyt the bed in last night's game after that Cock Block. None the less, the juggernaut of the schedule is forthcoming. But just worry about one at a time and this team will continue to grow, learn, and most of all will be getting enormous experience.

Enjoy this one.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
First to type first! Great as always C2! Hope you continue to mend and have a better team to write about every week!

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
After entering the game cautiously optimistic, I have to admit to having a feeling that the chance to grab that elusive road win was slipping away with the blocked field goal attempt in the 4th quarter (Heavens! The ’Reverse Cock Block?!’). Despite some signs of life in a downfield passing attack, a response to calls far and wide to attack vertically more than horizontally, the OL was unable to provide a consistent pocket and untimely penalties seemed to continue popping up at the worst times and voila, a 10 point late 4th quarter deficit was sneering “not today Gators!”

The entire game to this point had played, in my mind at least, like a rambling, up and down, Bob Dylan ballad. “Tangled Up in Blue” maybe. Not what I was hoping for against the 2-3 Cocks. I was more in the mood for “Mama Said Knock You Out” or even a celebratory “Jump Around!” It was looking like it wasn’t meant to be. And then almost as suddenly, it was. A Mertz to Boardingham pass with 4:40 remaining culminated a drive to cut the USCe lead to 3. Then after forcing a punt and converting on a long 4th down to Pearsall and a deflection off Pearsall’s hands to Trey Wilson, Mertz hit “Pretty Ricky” on a skinny post for the go-ahead and ultimate winning score with :47 seconds remaining. Spencer Rattler, who was 23-30 with 4 TDs, had one last shot but was intercepted and after a series of kneel-downs, a safety, and a successful kick cover, the road woes were temporarily over and the Gators had a two game winning streak. Someone on the “SEC Final“ quoted the Old Ball Coach…”God smiled on the Gators!” Yes He did.

* Good Numbers: Mertz 30-48, 423 yds, 3TDs. Pearsall 10 rec, 166 yds, TD. Boardingham 5 rec, 55 yds, TD. Trey Wilson 8 rec, 83 yds.

* Bad Numbers: UF 71 rushing yds. Mertz sacked 3 times. 6 penalties for 48 yds including a pressure resulting in intentional grounding and a roughing the passer that kept a USCe drive alive. As previously mentioned, Rattler 23-30, 313 yds, 4 TDs.

* SEC pre-game crew was 1-3 on their picks for the USCe / UF game with Timmy being the only host picking the Gators to overcome the road woes on this Saturday! Great Gator to a fault!

* Not happy with several No-calls by the officiating crew Saturday, but struggling and poor teams can’t expect to be bailed out with calls and to our credit we were able to win without them. A step toward maturity?

Even though it’s nice to get to bask in the glow of a much-needed win that featured an offensive coming-out of sorts, the reality is that after a bye week we’ve got the grinder facing us the rest of the way, starting with the Dawgs in Jacksonville. But we’re heading in at 5-2 instead of the reverse and on a two game upswing. The Mutts looked a little more pedestrian against spunky Vandy, it’s a rivalry, so who’s to say we can’t make a game of it? But the offensive improvements will have to expand beyond the passing game numbers and include much, much better protection and the ability to run more effectively once more. Defensively, we’ve got to pressure and cover better, lest Beck continues his good QB play of late.

The theme of one game at a time, improve incrementally, continues. It looks daunting and many forecasters give us a chance for maybe, maybe one more win. But that’s not what we’re playing for. I think despite the struggles, you’ve got to give Billy some credit for the aggressive changes to the offense and for a little up-tick in the in-game and sideline energy. Mertz and Pearsall attested to the upbeat and focused preparation that obviously played a hand in the overall attitude and determination that helped make Saturday’s victory possible. Young team growing up and believing? Why not? It’s about time and what’s expected, isn’t it? Football and sports in general are greatly affected by generated momentum. The possum made it across the road. Let’s build on it and keep it going in Jax in two weeks!

Go Gators!
:chomp:
I Couldn’t agree more with your assessment. We will take the win and keep charging forward. The Gators have a lot of work ahead of them. Keep grinding. Keep getting better. Go Gators!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Of all the issues this team has on any given weeks Mertz has been a very bright spot considering he was our biggest worry entering the season. Wish he had a little bit mor mustard on the deep passes and he has gotten an intentional grounding in multiple games now, but has been impressive. Steal one more game and the season is somewhat a success. Steal 2 games and we have over achieved. Now if we can get a game where all 3 phases click at the same time we might have something

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This team is incredibly young. 11 freshmen have started every game. We had more freshmen play than any other team in the country. He has had to completely turn over the roster. And as good as these players are, this year’s class is insane.

It takes a little bit of time to get these young players to understand how to practice right. And how to be prepared. The talent sometimes explodes on the film but mistakes show up a lot as well.

We’ve seen this all the time with young teams.

Lagway coming in next year is going to be huge. And if we can get Ryan Montgomery for the class after, we will be set at quarterback for the next six years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure what happened with the playcalling this week. But there were a lot more pass plays down the field. It was awesome to see.

There are some other boards that are speculating that Callaway was calling some plays. Supposedly during some play calls Napier had his back to the field and Callaway was talking through his headset.

I don’t think anything is confirmed. Just some people speculating.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Adult opossum can often survive mauling by a dog or being hit by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, they do need help recovering from these injuries.
Justice Lawyer GIF by DeZao Law

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also - some people were banging on Mertz for some reason. Saying that he’s not choosing to throw the ball downfield. I think we can close the book on that. There were play calls that were down the field and he was executing. He is not going to be the QB who can take advantage of our speedsters. He’s not going to chuck it 50 yards. We will have to wait for Lagway for that.

But man he’s been awesome.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of all the issues this team has on any given weeks Mertz has been a very bright spot considering he was our biggest worry entering the season. Wish he had a little bit mor mustard on the deep passes and he has gotten an intentional grounding in multiple games now, but has been impressive. Steal one more game and the season is somewhat a success. Steal 2 games and we have over achieved. Now if we can get a game where all 3 phases click at the same time we might have something
Mertz has exceeded incoming expectations. Can he provide more? If this game performance is an indicator then I’d say most certainly. Agreed about the groundings but better protection likely solves that.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Coffee tastes better with Bits & Pieces, Cover!

And Thanks SOS (I’m sure Stevo reads Bits & Pieces—what cool person doesn’t ?) for your recent comments regarding lack of a downfield passing game. The miracle is that someone was finally listening.
1697380553528.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Also - some people were banging on Mertz for some reason. Saying that he’s not choosing to throw the ball downfield. I think we can close the book on that. There were play calls that were down the field and he was executing. He is not going to be the QB who can take advantage of our speedsters. He’s not going to chuck it 50 yards. We will have to wait for Lagway for that.

But man he’s been awesome.

He's on track to obliterate Trask's 2019 breakout season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz has exceeded incoming expectations. Can he provide more? If this game performance is an indicator then I’d say most certainly. Agreed about the groundings but better protection likely solves that.
Protection has not been good. OL has been patchwork all year and we really do not have Elite OTs anyway so injuries have just compounded everything. Every time we get somebody back, we lose somebody.

I think Egauken (starting center) has played 2 games all year and missed about half of fall practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator