Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennssee

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Having never played, I'd assumed it was a set script of specific plays so as to limit the thinking by the players. Adaptability to situation makes sense, but at some point you transition from 'adjusting the script' to 'just calling plays' and you'll have to have practiced them all randomly as opposed to knowing what the next 2-3 plays will be.

I'd love to know how Mac & Nuss work their approach to this, and where it can be improved.
The game plan can change, obviously, based on what has and hasn't worked in a prior quarter or half or even a series. Teams are so well-prepared these days that instead of making a call and sticking to it, they adjust on the fly to certain formations, fronts, and coverages. How successful they are allows an offense, for example, to formation the D into a certain alignment and coverage which they feel they can exploit. So I guess much of it is a controlled situation, however you look at it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where Mac and Nuss can improve, IMO, is to keep their foot on the gas and not play to not lose. They had a great plan offensively in the first half. I'd have to believe that there wasn't enough attention paid to keeping the players focused on the fact that the snake may have been wounded in the first, but the head hadn't been severed. Should have been telling them how lucky we were to have a lead that was as much or more due to UT's gaffs than what we did great on D. How ever it occurred, it was a screw up. Now, how they coach if the roles are reversed this season remains to be seen. I think they did some good things in that regard last year. The OL this season so far, is a very limiting factor. If it can't be improved, fixed, or whatever, and quickly, the joy in Mudville could be sporadic.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
VOLRIP.0.0.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just embarrassing shiiite. Youd never see that from a Saban coached team but hed have quality backups and could honestly threaten to bench the kids.

That's straightup DBU ghetto trash.

Last edited:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Just embarrassing shiiite. Youd never see that from a Saban coached team but hed have quality backups and could honestly threaten to bench the kids.
Goes well with all the pre game talk... man up and win on the field

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
You never see that sh*t on any team who wins but you see it alot at losing programs. That's what we've become over the last 6 yrs (a program that hasn't won sh*t) and sh*t like this Is why. It's ok to occasionally lose your sh*t and act stupid in the heat of the moment but to consistently do it (which we do) in every big game you play is not.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You never see that sh*t on any team who wins but you see it alot at losing programs. That's what we've become over the last 6 yrs (a program that hasn't won sh*t) and sh*t like this Is why. It's ok to occasionally lose your sh*t and act stupid in the heat of the moment but to consistently do it (which we do) in every big game you play is not.
That kind of stuff has the taint of "da U" on it. You can be hard without that nonsense.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Vols should have been the ones running out of gas. Are we not well conditioned? Did the indoor practice facility prevent us from getting into shape for hot humid games?

I thought the same thing. I know the IPF is a huge recruiting tool, but I'm not surprised to see our conditioning take a hit. Practicing in the heat or the rain used to give us an advantage.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Vols should have been the ones running out of gas. Are we not well conditioned? Did the indoor practice facility prevent us from getting into shape for hot humid games?
Im not convinced we have a weightroom or conditioning staff. I suspect photoshopping.

We have linemen who have been in the program now for three years or more who weigh 240-250 lbs. We have a (small) DE that was supposed to "grow into a DT" who has LOST 30 lbs. CeCe also KNEW he HAD too move inside, whether he had the skillset or not, and LOST weight. And its not like these guys look ripped like the lost fat. They still look soft and underweight.

Im struggling to think of any part of the program that is functioning right now. Maybe RB recruiting and development....I guess. Most parts of the program are absolute dumpster fires like recruiting and strength and conditioning.

Hee Haw better get some Saban in him. Its hard to be bad cop when you started out as good cop. Right now he looks pretty Zookish without the great recruiting. I see a lot of kids taking it easy for three years, trying not to get hurt, then busting their butt in the weightroom before the NFL combine.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im not convinced we have a weightroom or conditioning staff. I suspect photoshopping.

We have linemen who have been in the program now for three years or more who weigh 240-250 lbs. We have a (small) DE that was supposed to "grow into a DT" who has LOST 30 lbs. CeCe also KNEW he HAD too move inside, whether he had the skillset or not, and LOST weight. And its not like these guys look ripped like the lost fat. They still look soft and underweight.

Im struggling to think of any part of the program that is functioning right now. Maybe RB recruiting and development....I guess. Most parts of the program are absolute dumpster fires like recruiting and strength and conditioning.

Hee Haw better get some Saban in him. Its hard to be bad cop when you started out as good cop. Right now he looks pretty Zookish without the great recruiting. I see a lot of kids taking it easy for three years, trying not to get hirt, then busting their butt in the weightroom before the NFL combine.
We continue to find ourselves in a curious, seven-year-plus swoon. One phrase comes to mind, and it covers a lot of factors...programmatic consistency or the lack thereof. Speaking of Mac specifically, I think that he is trying to correct the deficiencies, but has not been as successful as needed or in a timely manner to get us on the road back more swiftly. Breakdowns like Saturday either distort the clock on repairs and upgrades or further reveal shortcomings in areas like recruiting and overall talent of the current team, ability to successfully compete against conference rivals and the upper echelon teams in CFB, etc.

I agree that if you look at the team and the component position groups and coaching staff, RB is certainly stable with a good upside. Questions abound with the other groups. Like many have stated, conditioning used to be a factor that was always in our favor. I'd hate to think that we have traded that in some way in order to keep up with the frills that are so important nowadays. Has to be a balance struck somewhere.

To follow your last paragraph, I like that Mac cares, but I also believe that after the wooing is done and the kids you recruit are on campus, it's infinitely better to be a hard @ss and then lighten up as the players understand and buy in to your way of running a program and meeting your demands than vice versa. Don't know if this is the case, but Saturday in Knoxville certainly can't be considered evidence to the contrary. Right now, we know we don't have a roster full of elite players at all of the position groups. The only way in my mind that you overcome that in the span between recruiting cycles (in which you look for the next class being superior to the last ones), is to develop a toughness, a togetherness, and a stronger will to offset what is lacking in talent. This doesn't guarantee wins necessarily, but without it, you may as well be guaranteeing losses. We've got a ways to go.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CFB kids all over play 4 quarters of football. We played stupid football that 2nd half.
Dobbs did a repeat of those missed-tackle runs -- Hurd too. That was what our film
watching was supposed to remedy this year. We were unhampered by that Treon failure
that suffocated our O last year vs UT. This year we were primed to do what we did in the
first half. Stopping them from scoring via Callaway's inside the 5 fumble, was our intimidating D.
Then came out just timid. UT and Butch Coach isn't that much better than UF.??- if any at all.

In that 2nd half brain-dead coaching took over. Brain-dead DBU took over. No excuses.
If you have the correct coach-engine you do not slide back downhill like that. Even having
the best FG kicker helped not one bit.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm tired of rehashing the UT game, can we just send it into a Black Hole?

Reboot!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm tired of rehashing the UT game, can we just send it into a Black Hole?
Reboot!
You're always tired of talking about something that just happened because it's history and never want to talk about what's coming up because we need to wait and see how well whomever is going to do not try to analyze or predict.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if you are cut out for message boards or why you would bother to read one.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're always tired of talking about something that just happened because it's history and never want to talk about what's coming up because we need to wait and see how well whomever is going to do not try to analyze or predict.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if you are cut out for message boards or why you would bother to read one.

How many times can the same thing be said and does it change anything to repeat your position dozens of times?

ie: Your position on our recruiting and undersized OL..... I agree with your "take" on the issue but when you mention it in every thread, I think many people just ignore your post because there is nothing new or analytical presented.

The obvious answer to your question about "why" I even read one is "I don't have much of a life", like many others who visit here daily.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
And you want to rehash Champ forever............so lets find a mid point. Focus on this season........not misery gone by. If we gonna talk the past all the time I'm a TImmy/Danny boy advocate. The greats in sports can forget that bad pass or shot and still be good on the next one. I think Danny Weurffel was the best at it here.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
ie: Your position on our recruiting and undersized OL..... I agree with your "take" on the issue but when you mention it in every thread, I think many people just ignore your post because there is nothing new or analytical presented.
PIF and Hillary............I can now see it is time to refocus from the PF to the sports forum now,..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator