Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well Cover, you put it exactly spot on as you always do. And let me say it didn't look that much different sitting on row 37 behind the bench than your view from New Mexico. Just a few things I took away from this game....

1. First of all I will preface this with its all on Mac. Nuss' inability to call a great game is on him too. AA appeared to be lost at times and I am not sure if Nuss' playcalling is part of the apprehension or not. But what totally sent me over the edge was the last series on 3rd and 5 and run a stupid a run play up the middle. Vandy knew and we all knew it. There was no sense of urgency to try and get the first down. Also the debacle on the fumble prior to that drive. Slow down, get lined up, run some clock and punch it in. In addition the lack of urgency right before the half. Slow pace and no hurry up with the clock running down. I am on the train that Nuss needs to go and know why Saban and Meatchicken ran him off.

2. The offense to me ran better with Perrine and does so with LDR. When AA was under center we seemed to run the ball better with Perrine. Play action was there. I hate this shotgun, spread, read option look with a QB that doesn't run. When AA took off and ran, we got yardage maybe once, twice. When we hand off with the ball 5 yards deep in the backfield we are not helping our OL that needs all the help it can get. I think LDR is able to handle this offense better. Better reads, passes, etc. Seems more efficient and hopefully he's back vs. LSU.

3. Have to question Coach Side Hat on hip preparation for Vandy. With a running team that cannot pass for shyt, we are playing 3-4 down lineman and let Webb gash us for yardage. We should have crowded the line with 7-8 and shut him down. With LSU coming in it should be load up to stop a run heavy offense and dare them to throw.

Overall just a very un-inspired team yesterday. It is a hangover? Is it coaching? Is it players attitudes? I think some of all three. This team is well capable of playing better than what we've seen the last two weeks. I am making the trip to Florida next week for the LSU game. I hope that Mac has a sense of urgency for better play. I know he realizes it. Now he has to show he's capable of coaching them up to do so.
Thanks TN. Agree with you. We played a lot of six in the box (2 LB, 5 DB) I think. Was it due to injuries? D scheme? However you cut it, we got run on pretty good. Didn't let 'em in the end zone, but they helped us a couple of times toward that. Again, it was Vandy.

LSU, with Orgeron in Les' place, will come in here ready to run it up our tail pipe and smother our O like Vandy did for much of the night. If we're to have a shot, we better be a lot more intense than we have this season. Gameplan? Who knows right now. I'd hope we load up to stop the run and make their QB have to beat us. Our O? Hope that LDR is back so that we can have a chance with the throw game. Unless something cosmic happens, I can't see us having a lot of success running behind our OL against their front 7.

Haven't read or heard Mac's presser, but see where some in other threads say something about him being displeased with effort, toughness, etc. Hope so. Past due. Question is, what is he and the staff going to do to change it in a week's time. Maybe he's become Merlin the Magician. We'll see Saturday.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, I know you're covering a lot here but this was the most piss poor job of tackling I have seen in quite some time. Regardless of level of ball. I'd expect it at the 3rd grade level. It was ridiculous and the yards after contact has to be insane.

That allowed drive after drive to continue. Unacceptable, period.
I can't disagree. We had a hard time tackling Webb and he got a lot of YAC I believe. Seems I remember us missing some receivers running second level too. I praised Anzalone and Davis mainly because of their hustle, but they too had some misses. I think primarily we are too light in the @ss up front (save Brantley maybe) and we can't shed blocks and wrap up average backs consistently, much less good ones. We're in a fix right now and the injuries to those in that position group only makes it tougher.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks TN. Agree with you. We played a lot of six in the box (2 LB, 5 DB) I think. Was it due to injuries? D scheme? However you cut it, we got run on pretty good. Didn't let 'em in the end zone, but they helped us a couple of times toward that. Again, it was Vandy.

LSU, with Orgeron in Les' place, will come in here ready to run it up our tail pipe and smother our O like Vandy did for much of the night. If we're to have a shot, we better be a lot more intense than we have this season. Gameplan? Who knows right now. I'd hope we load up to stop the run and make their QB have to beat us. Our O? Hope that LDR is back so that we can have a chance with the throw game. Unless something cosmic happens, I can't see us having a lot of success running behind our OL against their front 7.

Haven't read or heard Mac's presser, but see where some in other threads say something about him being displeased with effort, toughness, etc. Hope so. Past due. Question is, what is he and the staff going to do to change it in a week's time. Maybe he's become Merlin the Magician. We'll see Saturday.

I think we did have some injuries. Can't recall seeing Sherrit one time during the game on D. He was there and dressed.

The game plan should be straight forward. Load up and stop the run. Dare them to throw which they are not great at. If LDR is back we should be productive enough on O to get the job done. We need to scrap alot of the shotgun crap as LDR does not need to run, even if he could. Line up under center, let our OL get a good push and our RB will a full head of steam when getting the handoff. No need running the read option or a spread look if the D has read it already and knows your QB is NOT GOING TO RUN.

LSU played with a lot of emotion and against a really bad Mizzou team. I think they'll be spent and reality will be setting in. With that they are still very dangerous. The Swamp should be fired up and now its time to put the last two weeks behind us and get ready to play like we are capable.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you this, if we beat LSU it will be close, a dogfight. They ain't good but they have talent. Almost a west version of us. Should be interesting.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
I'm not ready to toss Mac quite yet, but here are some observations that I've made (C2 and co.. feel free to correct me if I'm missing something).

1. Misdirection. I'm not sure I've seen any in 5 games yet. Do we still have any plays in the playbook that employ it? I think I've seen one jet sweep, but zero misdirection run plays otherwise. A reverse? anything?

2. Between the hashes. Do we know that this part of the field exists for anything other than running between the tackles? Even with crossing patterns and drags, we wait until the receiver/te is at the hashes to actually deliver the ball. We seem to have NOTHING in the middle of the field.

3. Lead blockers. We definitely don't use them, which would be ok if our line could blow open holes for the backs. They can't.

4. Deep balls. We go to them, often with success.. and even more when the receiver is open, but the pass is off... so why do we abandon them so quickly? We seem to throw a couple early in games and then never go back to them.

5. Trick plays. Yeah, I know..gimmicks. But also sometimes it lights a fire. Not sure we've run one in 1.5 seasons under Mac.

6. The line(s). For those who scream about 5-star players.. has anyone watched Ivey? What on earth is he doing? Has anyone been consistently good on the O-line? D-line was decent before the injury bug hit, but clearly depth is an issue.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you this, if we beat LSU it will be close, a dogfight. They ain't good but they have talent. Almost a west version of us. Should be interesting.
One thing we need to do...

1f35f5df-d045-45d8-aaf2-617b884fb4a3

...let #25 get at least 20 touches (and maybe give him an extra blocker)! He was our most effective RB in the game (and has been all season IMO), but we only rushed for 92 net yards on 35 attempts for a whopping 2.6 yds per.

Here's a couple of other stats to share that sort of stood out to me:
  • Jarrad Davis - 15 tackles (9 solo, 6 assits - career high); this was a highlight on a day when there seemed to be more misses than actual tackles!
  • Only 2 sacks, 1 by Zuniga and 1 by Wilson (on a nice corner bliltz).
  • TOP favored Vandy by almost 6 minutes. Thank goodness they didn't get into the end zone!
  • Vandy also had 21 first downs to our 15 (anemic on our part, but a continuing reflection of our OL and general offensive woes).
  • Vandy had no return yardage on KO's. Might seem insignificant to some, but as inconsistent as coverage has been, this is big and I'm glad we've got Eddy to provide this.
  • Townsend had 7 punts (too many) for 363 yds and an average of 51.3 per punt. Kickers are our most consistent weapons.

We better grow up at warp speed.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not ready to toss Mac quite yet, but here are some observations that I've made (C2 and co.. feel free to correct me if I'm missing something).

1. Misdirection. I'm not sure I've seen any in 5 games yet. Do we still have any plays in the playbook that employ it? I think I've seen one jet sweep, but zero misdirection run plays otherwise. A reverse? anything?

2. Between the hashes. Do we know that this part of the field exists for anything other than running between the tackles? Even with crossing patterns and drags, we wait until the receiver/te is at the hashes to actually deliver the ball. We seem to have NOTHING in the middle of the field.

3. Lead blockers. We definitely don't use them, which would be ok if our line could blow open holes for the backs. They can't.

4. Deep balls. We go to them, often with success.. and even more when the receiver is open, but the pass is off... so why do we abandon them so quickly? We seem to throw a couple early in games and then never go back to them.

5. Trick plays. Yeah, I know..gimmicks. But also sometimes it lights a fire. Not sure we've run one in 1.5 seasons under Mac.

6. The line(s). For those who scream about 5-star players.. has anyone watched Ivey? What on earth is he doing? Has anyone been consistently good on the O-line? D-line was decent before the injury bug hit, but clearly depth is an issue.
Good stuff! I can recall seeing a few attempts at a counter by us, but our guards (Ivey and Big Fred in particular) couldn't effectively execute theri blocks. Heck, we have a hard time with base blocking most of the time, much less any pulls, G schemes, or anything that isn't straight ahead! That might be why we seem to see such a heavy diet of runs between the tackles. I'm with you, as I'd love to see some more attempts at misdirection, jet sweeps, etc. Seems like Mac and Nuss are scared to try anything outside of very basic because we aren't very good with even that. I'm also with you on the need for an extra blocker, whether it be a traditional fullback, H back, or whatever. The OL needs some help.

I think we're not very good offensively, as most do, including the coaches. There seems to be too much emphasis on playing not to lose and in doing so we have probably become the easiest team in CFB to plan for. I agree that we need to be more versatile, even through in a tricky wrinkle at an appropriate time, and at least make people believe that we might do something other than run it between the fat boys.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Good post big dawg. Been screaming for misdirection plays fo a year, we are not good enough to go one on one, but do we have enough skill players for them to work? Agree about crossing routes, slants etc especially as quick plays under pressure. Still think we are going to need to play a 2 back set or use lineman as a TE for blocking. The WR cant even block on screens. Power running will give a 4-2-5 hell all day long, but what alternative do we have. OL gets all the recruiting woes, but LB and DT are on its heals. Most plays need to be the ole 1,2,3 throw because on 4 the qb might get hit

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Cover2 - Hope you enjoy that time in Mexico Beach. Every year us and 2 cousin families spent our summer vacation there, and now I've got a beach house on the Cape. Fantastic area. Watching the Gators on that 70" and sucking oysters at Indian Pass Raw Bar!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2 - Hope you enjoy that time in Mexico Beach. Every year us and 2 cousin families spent our summer vacation there, and now I've got a beach house on the Cape. Fantastic area. Watching the Gators on that 70" and sucking oysters at Indian Pass Raw Bar!
Well that's gotta suck.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We really enjoy it. Been going there since I was a kid and our children don't know any other beaches. Maybe one of these days we can share a few cool ones and some favorite Gator stories at one of the local establishments.

Well that's gotta suck.

Best place I know to be if you have to watch a crappy game by your favorite team. Coronas and fish tacos from Killer Seafood salvaged the afternoon!

upload_2016-10-4_12-55-21.jpeg upload_2016-10-4_12-56-29.jpeg upload_2016-10-4_12-56-54.jpeg

You ever get this far east again, it's worth a try!

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Just getting back home from Nashville. Can't disagree with C2 or the mood on the board in general. It was an ugly game to watch; lack of coaching, leadership. motivation, discipline, and heart. It's looking like the end of last season wasn't all on Treon.

But on a positive note, it was great to see all the Gators at the game. Two thirds or more of those in attendance were in orange and blue. We made a long weekend of it in the Nashville area with some friends; the Gator game, camping out and open fire cooking, site seeing, etc. Andrew Jackson's, The Hermitage is a cool place to visit if you get a chance.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff! I can recall seeing a few attempts at a counter by us, but our guards (Ivey and Big Fred in particular) couldn't effectively execute theri blocks. Heck, we have a hard time with base blocking most of the time, much less any pulls, G schemes, or anything that isn't straight ahead! That might be why we seem to see such a heavy diet of runs between the tackles. I'm with you, as I'd love to see some more attempts at misdirection, jet sweeps, etc. Seems like Mac and Nuss are scared to try anything outside of very basic because we aren't very good with even that. I'm also with you on the need for an extra blocker, whether it be a traditional fullback, H back, or whatever. The OL needs some help.

I think we're not very good offensively, as most do, including the coaches. There seems to be too much emphasis on playing not to lose and in doing so we have probably become the easiest team in CFB to plan for. I agree that we need to be more versatile, even through in a tricky wrinkle at an appropriate time, and at least make people believe that we might do something other than run it between the fat boys.
Seems like we could at least widen splits and stretch it out some. Make it a little easier on the online.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like we could at least widen splits and stretch it out some. Make it a little easier on the online.
You'd think. Problem I fear is that we're so slow on any steps that are the least bit lateral, the D players would blow the gap up before we even reacted to the snap count. Hate to say it, but even when our OL was blocking each other during Muschamp's time, they got to the POA quickly and blocked with ferocity!

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
We really enjoy it. Been going there since I was a kid and our children don't know any other beaches. Maybe one of these days we can share a few cool ones and some favorite Gator stories at one of the local establishments.

Damn good idea! We both could reel off lots of Gator sea stories I'm sure. Crack a few brew-ha's and salute Bay County.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Best place I know to be if you have to watch a crappy game by your favorite team. Coronas and fish tacos from Killer Seafood salvaged the afternoon!

View attachment 4012 View attachment 4013 View attachment 4014

Wow! I may drive down just for a meal!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just getting back home from Nashville. Can't disagree with C2 or the mood on the board in general. It was an ugly game to watch; lack of coaching, leadership. motivation, discipline, and heart. It's looking like the end of last season wasn't all on Treon.

But on a positive note, it was great to see all the Gators at the game. Two thirds or more of those in attendance were in orange and blue. We made a long weekend of it in the Nashville area with some friends; the Gator game, camping out and open fire cooking, site seeing, etc. Andrew Jackson's, The Hermitage is a cool place to visit if you get a chance.

Glad you had a good time in our fair city - it's been a great place to raise kids.

Where did you camp?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 4012 View attachment 4013 View attachment 4014

Yep. Just as I figured, terrible. Terrible, I tell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator