• Sam's Club

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Costco

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I've never been a member of any. All 3 are close enough to shop at. I never thought it is worth joining but now found deep discounts on Groupon.
What do you buy most at these stores? Groceries or goods or gas?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You need to get a physical tour of each to decide. Not all locations of each brand are the same. I’d go with whichever is most convenient. I have used Costco and Sam’s. A few points:

Sam’s & Costco look 90% exactly the same inside. Same layout. Cosco seems to have a cache that I don’t get. It’s not ‘better’.

Costco has vendors which come in for 2-3 weeks then rotate out. I saw suits, fresh seafood, furniture - wildly different themes. But you have to decided quickly.

Sam’s cash back on their credit card is WAY better than Costco’s store credit scheme. Sams will hand you cash if you want or you can use it at checkout on the app or in the store.

Free shipping at Sam’s. Checkout using your phone, too. I have not been in a Costco since we left Casselberry 5 years ago. They might do the same.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Don't know about BJs, in the shopping sense. We are members at Sam's and Costco but this week I am thinking of canceling the Costco membership. I was asked to leave because a fellow "member" noticed I was armed and went to the manager and complained. He asked me to please return my weapon to my vehicle since COSTCO is private property and my right to carry did not apply. After returning to the store, I counted at least five persons carrying concealed. I never know about the women, because they carry purses. Some of which could conceal a medium caliber howitzer.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I like Sam's... it's "meat and potatoes," it's "blue collar," they have the staple items I need... Costco is kinda douchey.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We use Sam's, the Scan & Go is great, very easy, and less dealing with lines.
I think Costco has better meats, and I've never really been interested in the meats I see at Sam's, but other than that, it's pretty much the same and Sams pricing and membership is slightly cheaper.
Their inhouse brands Kirkland vs Members Mark, I'd say Kirkland is probably slightly better, but the differences are fairly insignificant.

I have started getting my vitamins (B-complex, C, D and Zinc) from Costco through my moms account, pricing is slightly better on them and they actually have all of them, Sam's doesn't always.

My daughter eats a lot of fruits and vegetables and Sam's has been fantastic when it comes to getting fruits.

We do a mixture of shopping at Sam's for certain things and shopping BOGO items each week from Publix.

I'd say it depends on what you're going there for, but Sam's works great for us, just stay away from the ghetto ones :lol:

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Never been into BJ's. Used to do Sam's, it was the only game in town.

Switched to CostCo when available and haven't switched back. The idea of cutting costs feels to ring truer with CostCo's approach rather than the Sam's (for profit) version, at least to me. I like that aspect, though the fact that you find something and love it, then go back and they no longer carry it...that's been a pain in the ass on several occassions.

Sam’s cash back on their credit card is WAY better than Costco’s store credit scheme. Sams will hand you cash if you want or you can use it at checkout on the app or in the store.

CostCo actually does this as well. They send a paper check, or you can access the cash back via the app. Either method you can use to pay for your purchase, or get turned into cash-in-pocket at the register.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
though the fact that you find something and love it, then go back and they no longer carry it
that's all of them. But it's not always they they aren't carrying it every again, sometimes it's just not there at the time.

I get a Fairlife Protein drink from Sam's that does that occasionally.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Never been into BJ's. Used to do Sam's, it was the only game in town.

Switched to CostCo when available and haven't switched back. The idea of cutting costs feels to ring truer with CostCo's approach rather than the Sam's (for profit) version, at least to me. I like that aspect, though the fact that you find something and love it, then go back and they no longer carry it...that's been a pain in the ass on several occassions.

CostCo actually does this as well. They send a paper check, or you can access the cash back via the app. Either method you can use to pay for your purchase, or get turned into cash-in-pocket at the register.
Douchebag.

:lol:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That’s a welcome upgrade since I left the Orlando area 5 years ago. At that time, I had to redeem the cash back in the store or use it to renew my Executive(?) membership. I lost it because it wasn’t worth an hour+ drive to use it. Not a big deal, tho.

We joined Costco on University when the Sam’s near us on N. Semoran closed and the nearest one on E. Colonial & Goldenrod was horrible.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I've never been a member of any. All 3 are close enough to shop at. I never thought it is worth joining but now found deep discounts on Groupon.
What do you buy most at these stores? Groceries or goods or gas?
One other thing. Sam’s usually has a discount liquor store attached to it. Membership isn’t required for that, or at least they never ask, but it’s handy and good deals if they carry what you want. My Costco didn’t have that. I’d check that out, too.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
that's all of them. But it's not always they they aren't carrying it every again, sometimes it's just not there at the time.

I get a Fairlife Protein drink from Sam's that does that occasionally.
Don’t forget to look online. They often have stuff online that isn’t in your store.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One other thing. Sam’s usually has a discount liquor store attached to it. Membership isn’t required for that, or at least they never ask, but it’s handy and good deals if they carry what you want. My Costco didn’t have that. I’d check that out, too.
Most Costco's do now have liquor stores.

And all the new stors of Costco and Sam's are virtually identical in layout

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. Whichever one is most convenient to where you live.

2. Sams. Good prices and they are very common.

3. Costco. Have some nice higher-end stuff.

4. BJs. This is the Winn-Dixie or sketchy Wal Mart version of Sams.

Either way, get the credit card that's associated with the club and use that when you buy gas there or shop there.

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I prefer Costco meats but it’s across town and inconvenient. I’ve used them for booking a couple of trips and it saved money plus additional money back. They give you a check at the end of the year but you can buy one thing and get the rest back in cash @Theologator . Rental cars are cheaper too through Costco.

Sams is very similar when it comes to boxed items. My co-worker added me to her account so I use both Costco and Sams equally. We bought tires through Sams with free road hazard. Good price on gas too.

I have lots to add but I agree with what others have said and I’m on my phone.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I prefer Costco meats but it’s across town and inconvenient. I’ve used them for booking a couple of trips and it saved money plus additional money back. They give you a check at the end of the year but you can buy one thing and get the rest back in cash @Theologator . Rental cars are cheaper too through Costco.

Sams is very similar but I prefer Costco meats. My co-worker added me to her account so I use both Costco and Sams. We bought tires through Sams with free road hazard. Good price on gas too.

I have lots to add but I agree with what others have said and I’m on my phone.
200.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Having at one time or another belonged to all three, there’s not a great difference over all, but each has their “thing.”

When we lived in NoVa, BJ’s was super close (closer than the nearest grocery store) and the price difference on milk alone paid for the membership. (The kids were young then and we went through a lot of milk.)

We are currently Sam’s members where the difference in the gasoline price more than pays for the membership.

We’ve been off and on with Costco over the years and to me their meat is far superior to the others and better even than most grocery stores (the beef in particular). Every restaurant chef I know, buys their meat for home at Costco. If you are fortunate enough to live in a state without ridiculous liquor laws (i.e., not Georgia or Virginia) and they have the Kirkland brand liquor, they have some excellent bourbons and the vodka is very good as well. Both are far cheaper than a similar quality name brand.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Costco’s return policy is amazing too. Some of the internet stories are too good to be true. a dead Christmas tree a month after Christmas. A 2 year old couch with stains. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator