Bobby Bowden on why FSU never joined SEC

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very interesting:

I am asked why we joined the ACC instead of the SEC back in 1992. We were invited to join both conferences the same year. Let me first say that we (FSU) had applied for membership in the SEC for the previous 20 to 25 years but were turned down every time. When we made our decision, the people making those decisions preferred the ACC for academic reasons.

What part did I play in it? I merely agreed to whatever those responsible decided. I had always been an SEC fan. I did feel, however, that between the SEC and the ACC, the best road to a national title was through the ACC. A national championship was my number one goal every year. The SEC is so tough, top to bottom, that they beat up on each other week after week. In the '90's we played for the national title five times and won two. This proves my point. Plus, FSU won another title last year and may win again this year!

https://m.facebook.com/CoachBobbyBow...93631280680661

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
interpretation....we're still an all girls school

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Path of least resistance

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
MJMGator;n95528 said:
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the ACC.

:lol:
BB felt the best road to the NC was through the ACC, but the responsible parties chose the ACC strictly for academic reasons? *what a joke*

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the 2nd half of that he basically admitted that if they had joined the SEC instead they likely would have ZERO championships instead of 3. I've been telling people that same thing for years

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
And yet during that same time period Florida won as many Championships going through the SEC as HalfassU did taking the easier path.

He ought to be embarrassed that they couldn't win more.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Why would anyone choose to attend that God-forsaken institute? They are a sham in every way. Academics? Please.....

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
FLORIDA STATE vs the SEC

Alabama 1-2-1
Auburn 4-13-1
Florida 19-33-2
Georgia 4-6-1
Kentucky 1-4-1
LSU 7-2-0
Ole Miss 0-1-0
Mississippi State 7-2-0
Tennessee 1-1-0
Total: 44-64-6

(Does not include FSU's record against Georgia Tech, no longer an SEC member, and against South Carolina, who played FSU when USC was a member of the ACC and Independent)

At one time when I was growing up I thought FSU would one day join the SEC. I thought this would happen as the FSU football program grew in prominence which was inevitable with our growth and development as a state. FSU repeatedly for years and years applied to be a member of the SEC and repeatedly they were turned down. The University of Florida, back in those days, was either the only, or one of the only, SEC schools that supported the entry of FSU into the SEC.

One day, the inevitable happened. FSU rose to football prominence under Coach Bobby Bowden. As time went by demogrpahics changed. Conference expansion into lucrative television markets became the wave of the future. Roy Kramer, the Commissioner of the SEC made a rather lukewarm invitation to FSU to join the SEC. But Gene Corrigan, the Commissioner of the ACC, came out of the blue to welcome FSU into the ACC with open arms. There was some bitter feelings on FSU’s side towards the SEC because of the repeated rejections in the past.

Bobby Bowden was an SEC man all the way. He was born, raised, and played football in the heart of the SEC, Birmingham, Alabama. His hero was Bear Bryant. But Bobby saw entry into the ACC as an easier road on the way to a national championship. He voiced his feeling that if FSU joined the SEC, that FSU would always remain in the shadow of the University of Florida. He felt that by joining the ACC, FSU could easier establish its own identity. And some of the academic types felt that FSU could gain academic credibility by joining the ACC which is hogwash.

I feel now that FSU wishes it was in the SEC rather than the ACC. FSU is more of a natural fit for the SEC than the ACC. Their fans would rather be watching matchups like FSU vs Georgia, FSU vs Auburn, FSU vs Tennessee and so. There would be more intense rivalry playing teams like that rather than the ACC schools except for Miami.

I wish FSU had gotten in the SEC. One, it would have freed up our schedule by making FSU a conference game. Two, it would have intensified our rivalry with FSU even more if we were both playing for the SEC Championship. Three, it would have isolated the University of Miami’s football program by making the state of Florida without a doubt SEC Country by having the two premier state schools both in the SEC. And four, I would have loved to see FSU getting beat down by some of our traditional rivalries.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Truest words Bowden has spoken in about 25 years. And the academics thing is so they would look better academically, not be better academically.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Because he is a wussy with a P!!!!

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
MJMGator;n95528 said:
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the ACC.

LOL! But it's true and it has worked for FSU. No doubt about it.

The academics comment from Bowden was funny too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator