Booster Writes Scathing & Depressing Tweet about UF NIL

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
I agree what what was said as well as the guys article. If you want to support our teams, make a contrubution. Everyone bitched and screamed when we didn't get Rashada, remember? He didn't sign becuase we didnt have the money. It turned to work in our favor but that was one time. If you can't recognize how poor some of these kids are coming out of high school, you're blind. I hate the NIL but it is what it is. You take a kid who probably lives with a single mom or a grandparent, offer him a few bucks and off he goes. There is no longer any loyalty to a program, its loyalty to the all mighty dollar. UF just lost a kid that I have known his whole life that was UF his whole life. He signed with FSU because they offered him a better deal. Like it or not thats the world we live in.

I own a buisness and I persoanally contribute to the school and the collective. They are different entities and one can not fund the other. My youngest son just graduated USF Med school and their collective is 100 times more active than ours as is their Alumni collections.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like it or not thats the world we live in.
Most of us are aware of this and are voting with our wallets. I don't give two schits about the economic hardships these kids come from; my job is to worry about my own kids. Are these soon-to-be-minted millionaires going to invest in my kids' future? No? Then fuchs off.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In summary: it's the fans fault.... again....
It would be nice to have a general conversation about college football without comparing everything to Billy.

Let's say UF hired the best college coach left on Earth - Urban Meyer. What was tweeted is correct, in that UF does NOT have the billionaires at the top that many of the other schools have, and hiring Meyer doesn't change that. While I have no doubt we could have a hell of a lot better success than we have had recently, what makes you think Meyer could land top-3 classes and top portal recruits like he used to, when a dozen other schools are outbidding him?

I'm not saying that the decisions these elite kids are making is 100% because of money. I'm telling you it's about 85%. That's going to put UF behind the 8-ball no matter who is coaching. This deal that UF fans should make up the shortfall for a lack of billionaires is ridiculous. Billionaires have money to throw away - the average schmuck is just trying to make ends meet.

It's one reason why I think Meyer is telling the truth when he says he really is retired. He doesn't want to deal with this stuff and I can't blame him.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Most of us are aware of this and are voting with our wallets. I don't give two schits about the economic hardships these kids come from; my job is to worry about my own kids. Are these soon-to-be-minted millionaires going to invest in my kids' future? No? Then fuchs off.
well said, sir. College football is fusched

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who is this tool bag? What level is he, that’s all that matters.
He’s a booster. Not a high-level one. But a very vocal one.

I think a lot of this post is true, but some of it is not. He hasn’t really had a pulse on what is being paid in NIL, and has actually been called out a little bit on it. His numbers seem to be higher than what they are.

But it doesn’t take away from the general sentiment. I think in general, he is right about the landscape.

The reason UF is not bringing as much through the collective is that the program stinks right now. Put a better product on the field and you will get more fans that support NIL.

But we will always suffer in comparison to the programs that have big money boosters. Because we do not have them.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It would be nice to have a general conversation about college football without comparing everything to Billy.

Let's say UF hired the best college coach left on Earth - Urban Meyer. What was tweeted is correct, in that UF does NOT have the billionaires at the top that many of the other schools have, and hiring Meyer doesn't change that. While I have no doubt we could have a hell of a lot better success than we have had recently, what makes you think Meyer could land top-3 classes and top portal recruits like he used to, when a dozen other schools are outbidding him?

I'm not saying that the decisions these elite kids are making is 100% because of money. I'm telling you it's about 85%. That's going to put UF behind the 8-ball no matter who is coaching. This deal that UF fans should make up the shortfall for a lack of billionaires is ridiculous. Billionaires have money to throw away - the average schmuck is just trying to make ends meet.

It's one reason why I think Meyer is telling the truth when he says he really is retired. He doesn't want to deal with this stuff and I can't blame him.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But that doesn’t explain how or why we had the #3 class with five stars all over the place until we went on a five game bender.

I can tell you straight from a recruit’s mother’s mouth, the overall visit experience was night and day between schools like Alabama, Texas and uga vs UF. And I can also tell you that any monies were not offered upfront nor expected in the following weeks/months. But in any event, this is a 4-5* kid where money wasn’t the issue at all.

Back to my original point, I’ll also add that at one point not only were we #3, but we were 15 spots in front of Texas A&M. Money clearly isn’t the only factor.

Either way, as some of us said, from the very beginning of this, it will burn down college football, and seems to be doing so already.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

The problem is these are not NIL deals. These are all pay for play.

The NCAA is not going to do anything. Because there a joke. These mega conferences have to get together and make their own bylaws on what constitutes a NIL deal and what constitutes pay for play.

And anything that constitutes pay for play immediately disqualifies the student athlete.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The reason UF is not bringing as much through the collective is that the program stinks right now. Put a better product on the field and you will get more fans that support NIL.
That has chicken or egg written all over it. And the result ain't pretty.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That has chicken or egg written all over it. And the result ain't pretty.
Not really. I’m not sure where we sit on the talent composite, but we are probably at least top 12 to 15. Probably higher. And yet our on field results is around 50.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The problem is these are not NIL deals. These are all pay for play.

The NCAA is not going to do anything. Because there a joke. These mega conferences have to get together and make their own bylaws on what constitutes a NIL deal and what constitutes pay for play.

And anything that constitutes pay for play immediately disqualifies the student athlete.

I think the teams that were in good standing before NIL, are in better standing now. And conversely the teams that were struggling before NIL, and are now trying to rebuild in the current environment, are toast. You touched on it elsewhere that kids were foregoing these types of deals to play for Nick Saban because they knew the end result was far greater than anything they could get through through a collective. I’m sure they received something, but it wasn’t their focal point. That worked for them. A&M could briefly hang their hat on immediate cash payouts and maybe some success. That worked a little for them. Not trying to turn this into a Napier bashing fest, but what exactly are we hanging our hats on at the moment?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not really. I’m not sure where we sit on the talent composite, but we are probably at least top 12 to 15. Probably higher. And yet our on field results is around 50.
Maybe, but once you are on the backside of the curve it's hard to avoid things getting worse.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You put yourself farther behind by fielding a bad product. That's certainly something that's not even debatable.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Its fantasy football for rich dudes right now. Everyone is trying to buy a team/title. If they win a title, will they take credit and walk away or keep trying to sustain it? No way these guys keep contributing for a crap product. Crazy system where the schools bringing in the money Don’t pay for the employees;)
A few mil a year for a billionaire is Starbucks money or kwiktrip.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the teams that were in good standing before NIL, are in better standing now. And conversely the teams that were struggling before NIL, and are now trying to rebuild in the current environment, are toast. You touched on it elsewhere that kids were foregoing these types of deals to play for Nick Saban because they knew the end result was far greater than anything they could get through through a collective. I’m sure they received something, but it wasn’t their focal point. That worked for them. A&M could briefly hang their hat on immediate cash payouts and maybe some success. That worked a little for them. Not trying to turn this into a Napier bashing fest, but what exactly are we hanging our hats on at the moment?
I agree. And I think players that are making a decision that is not NIL based want to make sure that it is a school that gives him the best shot to make it to the NFL for big pay days. And if your program is not winning and not getting kids to the NFL, then why would they go to a program that pays them less NIL?

And I put this in another thread, but this is why it is important to get the majority of your recruits from your state. Because there is more loyalty to your program if they come from in-state. Mainly because it is closer to home and parents want their kids to be close to them.

Billy is spending too much time in Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. His staff should be living in Florida schools.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
its reflective of the soul of this country and world. Entitlement, laziness, greed, lack of loyalty. The social media generation. We are lost as a world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator