Bowl Games...not a lot of defense so far

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not seeing much defense in the early Bowls.

The typical college game over/under (for a fairly even match up) is somewhere between 40-60 points. Almost every Bowl game so far has gone over 60 with many in the 70s and 80s (and a couple in the 90s and 100s).

It's been a record-setting scoring fest so far.

I imagine those numbers will start coming back down to earth once the better teams start playing tomorrow.

Makes me wonder about our offensive woes though. So many teams seem to be able to score so easily.

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot easier to prepare for opponents when you have a month to do so. Some teams usually don't show up for Bowl games, and some are just mismatches.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mostly just a matter of too much sissified football being played around the country these days....

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Baylor with no QB destroyed the Tar Holes running for 645 yards as a team, thankfully breaking the all-time bowl record Steriodraska had against us in that ****ing Fiesta Bowl, which was 524 total rushing yards.

Fournette was a man beast in that late game last night.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Baylor with no QB destroyed the Tar Holes running for 645 yards as a team, thankfully breaking the all-time bowl record Steriodraska had against us in that ****ing Fiesta Bowl, which was 524 total rushing yards.

Fournette was a man beast in that late game last night.
Baylor admittedly plays weaker competition, but they're on their third or fourth string QB, and putting up numbers, we have a back up that struggles against all competition, sorry had to beat that horse one more time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Baylor admittedly plays weaker competition, but they're on their third or fourth string QB, and putting up numbers, we have a back up that struggles against all competition, sorry had to beat that horse one more time.

Baylor's offensive success last night had absolutely nothing to do with whoever was playing QB.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Look what Baylor was able to do without its top 2 QBs, its top RB, and its top WR (although they still had a strong OL). With basically back up running backs playing both starting QB and starting RB (it was like full-time wildcat), Baylor racked up 49 points and 645 yards rushing on a decent North Carolina team. Over 750 total yards. I don't care that they had a month to prepare...that's impressive af. North Carolina's defense had time to prepare too.

Meanwhile, Larry Fedora (who was an OC here under Zook) and his Tarheels put up 38 points in a losing effort. That's North Carolina. Bunch of 2 stars. Putting up 38. OK, so Baylor isn't known for great defense but that an impressive offensive performance too (and that North Carolina offense has been good all season long).

In other games--

Tulsa broke the 50 point barrier against Virginia Tech...and still lost. Indiana broke 40 against Duke...and still lost. These weren't Spurrieresque blowouts of mismatched opponents; these were very close games.

Where's the "D"?

I guess if you want to see an old fashioned slugfest, tune into Alabama-Michigan State. These other Bowl games are putting up basketball scores.

I'm looking forward to having an offense that is a threat to break 50 every time they take the field.

Alex.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They have been on their 3rd QB for some time now, I believe.
Baylor beat Oklahoma St. with their 2nd string, then lost to TCU and Texas to end the season with their 3rd/4th string. Beating Oklahoma St. doesn't impress me because 1. their defense always sucks 2. they always choke in big games and 3. their record is overinflated by ref-assisted wins early in the season. UNC's already bad defense just flat out didn't show up last night, although their record is also vastly overinflated.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Baylor beat Oklahoma St. with their 2nd string, then lost to TCU and Texas to end the season with their 3rd/4th string. Beating Oklahoma St. doesn't impress me because 1. their defense always sucks 2. they always choke in big games and 3. their record is overinflated by ref-assisted wins early in the season. UNC's already bad defense just flat out didn't show up last night, although their record is also vastly overinflated.
Point is they lost a pretty darn good passer in Russell as their starter, and the second string too, 3rd string can't pass so the offense changed to suit his strengths, and they put up the yards, regardless of style of play, we did not do that for whatever reason, it's fine with me, the fact is they played to the strengths of their QB. We didn't after WG got suspended, we went with square peg in round hole and hoped D could hold up.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
And I'm on ur heels in bowl mania challenge, lol

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Point is they lost a pretty darn good passer in Russell as their starter, and the second string too, 3rd string can't pass so the offense changed to suit his strengths, and they put up the yards, regardless of style of play, we did not do that for whatever reason, it's fine with me, the fact is they played to the strengths of their QB. We didn't after WG got suspended, we went with square peg in round hole and hoped D could hold up.
Baylor also has an offensive line, and a good one at that.

And I'm on ur heels in bowl mania challenge, lol
Looks like you'll be taking the lead by 1 damn point once Auburn closes this one out. :gah:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.