Brandon Powell

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n287270 said:
No.....he collapsed after making the 4th down catch at the 5 yard line.....He got up went halfway back to the bench, saw the signal, then stopped and laid down like he was supposed to so we could call a couple of more plays without using a time out.....

He collapsed after both.. I was referring to after the TD. Did you watch the TD?... maybe go back and watch again.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He and Callaway are warriors. So great to see guys like these making plays in a good offensive scheme again. Let's not forget how well-designed several of those fourth down plays were, especially Brandon's catch on 4th and 6 and Callaway's TD.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's so refreshing to see us with a squad of receivers in Powell, McGee, Calloway and Robinson that give us a chance to win and something to cheer about again. I still think we will be seeing some great games by Robinson this year. I realize people get frustrated with his dancing close to the first down marker, but I just think that's his game. We forget how many times he's made big gains off of short passes with some of those dance moves.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n287248 said:
Really? He's collapsing in the endzone after scoring a TD with the clock stopped because why again?

Must be another redshirt thing. 'Crete is on top of that.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Arguments aside, that block he made to spring Callaway, effectively removing both players with any chance of making a tackle, will live on in Gator history as a thing of beauty.

Nautigator

Founding Member
Level 11.5 Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr8 is spot on with his comment. Powell is not only giving 110% physically, but the same mentally.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Glad to see this thread - same thing went thru my mind after watching him collapse at the 5yd line after getting the first down (I didn't think it was a stall tactic as Croncrete indicated, could have been but didn't strike me as such). Loved that Powell was giving everything he had, and more once he'd run out of energy knowing he could rest when the game was done. The comeback blocking for the last TD just sealed Powell on my list of guys I'll be watching more going forward. Loved his heart and his performance.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n287282 said:
It's so refreshing to see us with a squad of receivers in Powell, McGee, Calloway and Robinson that give us a chance to win and something to cheer about again..

Yes, and go ahead and throw in Goolsby too.

WillGetIn

Founding Member
Stalker
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thing of beauty about that block to spring Callaway, was the way that Powell launched himself from the top of the turnbuckle and looked like superman flying in from the side. While he only made contact with the two players, he slowed that third one down too. That was true "WANT IT" right there...

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As noted, there were two times that he laid on the field seemingly exhausted and the one that happened as he was walking off was painfully obviously stalling. It benefited the good guys, so I'm not opposed to it. :dance:

Powell is a gamer, but he needs to realize that he's no Brandon James, and as others have said, learn to take a knee. Perhaps the blocking isn't what it was for James, but he was clutch in the return game (especially punt return) and so far Powell isn't. However, he is a gamer and seems to understand the game and be able to play that way. I'm glad we've got him this year.

As for D-Rob, I continue to be underwhelmed by him relative the praise he gets here and in some of the media. He does dance a bunch (I don't remember that ever paying off significantly and rarely paying off at all?) and if Mac had enough bench, he'd be riding it for the way he carries the ball most of the time. I'm ready for him to show that he's growing in these areas.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes Euro ... DRob carries the ball extended out in one hand like somebody's trying to lick his ice-cream cone.??
That's showboaty & risky.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Powell was MVP IMHO, with honorable mention to Calloway, McGee and maybe Grier. Bullard came up big in the final minutes for the second week in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorFin

Jul 24, 2014
EuroGator;n287460 said:
As noted, there were two times that he laid on the field seemingly exhausted and the one that happened as he was walking off was painfully obviously stalling. It benefited the good guys, so I'm not opposed to it. :dance:

Powell is a gamer, but he needs to realize that he's no Brandon James, and as others have said, learn to take a knee. Perhaps the blocking isn't what it was for James, but he was clutch in the return game (especially punt return) and so far Powell isn't. However, he is a gamer and seems to understand the game and be able to play that way. I'm glad we've got him this year.

As for D-Rob, I continue to be underwhelmed by him relative the praise he gets here and in some of the media. He does dance a bunch (I don't remember that ever paying off significantly and rarely paying off at all?) and if Mac had enough bench, he'd be riding it for the way he carries the ball most of the time. I'm ready for him to show that he's growing in these areas.

people want the feel goods man. There's no way Powell would go down unless he was about to die!

D rob got the same signal when Powell did and started immediately motioning to the refs as opposed to checking on his teammate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.