Breaking News: NFL player knows how to manage his cash

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Was it Sanders that retired in his prime? (Barry, not douchebag Deion) He set himself up well and got out. I remember reading a story that he had uncashed checks for tens of thousands of dollars just sitting around his house. Anyway, nice to see someone with the same mindset as some of us that make a fraction of that income.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This thread would fit nicely in the “Finance and investing” forum too. Check it out.

The guy is obviously smart enough to realize what a great opportunity he has gotten to be able to make himself financially independent for the rest of his life. But I would also caution him that it’s also ok to enjoy the fruits of his labor a bit provided he doesn’t go crazy. Some people get so addicted to saving that they feel guilty using their money to pay for things they’d really enjoy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was it Sanders that retired in his prime? (Barry, not douchebag Deion) He set himself up well and got out. I remember reading a story that he had uncashed checks for tens of thousands of dollars just sitting around his house. Anyway, nice to see someone with the same mindset as some of us that make a fraction of that income.

BO Jackson was similar, had a modest house and saved the majority of his cash.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Carl was on the Browns Hard Knocks on HBO teaching teammates about budgeting. He also got a lot of crap a out his name:

Coach was like, “who can see a precious beautiful baby boy, and name him, Carl. Like, here’s my new son, sent straight from heaven....CARL”.

It was pretty darn funny.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jamal Mashburn is another great success story. He has his money working for him.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
it's too bad you have to really think of ones that were frugal. It seems for every one there are 10 broke Warren Saps,

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I read once that Gronk lived on his endorsements and had not spent any of his NFL contract money.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Former UF basketball player Matt Bonner, who played for San Antonio and earned more than $30 million in salary in his career, has been an investing/saving guru for years. There was a comical story about him using coupons at Subway w/ teammates (who laughed at him). He was so known for using the coupons, he ended up doing a blog on San Antonio's website where he reviewed sandwich shops in cities the team was playing in. He said something like, "I don't know how long I'll be earning this kind of money..." He was also on an episode of "Tiny Houses" where he had a tiny home built for his family as a getaway type of 'vacation home'. He's now an analyst for San Antonio.

This is a recent story, from Nov 2nd, about him teaching his daughter how to budget:

Retired Spurs player Matt Bonner teaches daughter investing in stocks: ‘Tesla is killing it’

Retired Spurs player Matt Bonner teaches daughter investing in stocks: 'Tesla is killing it'

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Although I applaud this guy for being smart with his money, the fact that we praise a guy for not being an idiot provides a lot of insight into how stupid the average professional athlete is these days.

I guess passing somebody through every grade through college does have a negative impact on the individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.