Breakout Offensive Star

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I like a lot of the answers given here. But I have a feeling EJ is gonna have a huge year. I saw a couple posts about his health, but I think he’ll be fine. Mobile QBs don’t typically get hurt while running. It’s hard enough trying to catch them let alone trying to deliver any type of vicious blow. They actually seem to get injured more often in the pocket. I think some of us will be pleasantly surprised by how well he plays next year. We’re gonna score a LOT of points!

He’s probably the best runner as far as speed and elusiveness that mullinz has ever had, but he still looks a little light in the a$$ to run his offense. He has a strong arm and all the moves as a runner, but we are going to be holding our breath every time he drops back or takes off. I doubt he can stay healthy but hopefully I’m wrong.

I think he will be very good most of the season. He is going to need a lot of help though. Our OL is average so when we face a good DL that commits to taking away the run and exerting pressure we will see what happens.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Couldn't agree more. The moment there's the slightest window of opportunity, it's like, "have a seat, here we go".

I havent reached that stage yet but Im getting there. Im still at the 'every thread devolves into fire Grantham' step. I would rather talk his replacement than Mullen's. I guess Mullen can be blamed a bit for some wanting to skip that step though.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
He’s probably the best runner as far as speed and elusiveness that mullinz has ever had, but he still looks a little light in the a$$ to run his offense. He has a strong arm and all the moves as a runner, but we are going to be holding our breath every time he drops back or takes off. I doubt he can stay healthy but hopefully I’m wrong.
You could be right. I just haven’t seen many instances where that came in to play. Football is a violent sport. Everyone gets injured. I’m not convinced that smaller people get injured at a higher rate. And I’m even less concerned about a QB when he’s running the ball. They usually suffer lower body injuries(ankles and knees). Look how Felipe got hurt. Or Dak. Or RG3. Or Alex Smith. Size wasn’t a determining factor. That could happen to anyone.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Apologies for staying on the first topic, rather than the every thread topics, but I'll throw in my best guess.

Breakout in the sense of a much larger and prominent role: Xzavier Henderson. Though that likely means about 9-11 TDs and 700-850 yards. Every other candidate has already been a part of the offense in some substantial manner and I don't see any going to such elite or drastically improved levels that we would classify them as breakouts. So, it's Henderson almost by default with Whittemore the only skill player to show he has a chance. I don't see any RB getting enough carries to qualify as a break out, especially the newest in Bowman. The stats will be harder to measure, but Josh Braun would be my second choice if OL was more noticed.

If referring to the other team's breakout star, it is just too difficult to pick. Obviously Grantham would be the star, but he is not breaking out by any means. The leading candidates are whoever he puts at Star and whoever he puts opposite of Elam in 15 yard deep man coverage on 3rd and 6 would be my guess.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
I'll go with Bowman. Since we're back to 95% of the plays being within 5 yards of the LOS, I think we'll see him get a lot of touches both running and in the "passing" game. He can still dance around a little too much, not quite the one-cut guy like Gibbs was (the one that went to GT) but given any space he can get upfield QUICK. He was such a fun guy to watch at Lakeland. He was a man among boys against Aquinas, broke their will in the second half.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Apologies for staying on the first topic,

Breakout in the sense of a much larger and prominent role: Xzavier Henderson. Though that likely means about 9-11 TDs and 700-850 yards.
:lmao2: you're killing me dude. what's douchebag had in the last 12 years? two receivers with 700 yd or more?

where did you mean in his career?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll go with Bowman. Since we're back to 95% of the plays being within 5 yards of the LOS, I think we'll see him get a lot of touches both running and in the "passing" game.
it's basically impossible to be a successful running back in Mullins offense. this just isn't going to happen. the thing is the nature of the option allows the defense to choose who gets to keep the ball. if they're more afraid of the running back then the defensive end crashes on him, and the quarterback is forced to keep or have the running back hit in the backfield.

EJ is a solid runner and our running game will look worlds better without Trash running the option. However I havent seen anything that makes me think he is a game changer or a dude who the defense will collapse on and force the give to Bowman or the other backs. Given a choise of focusing on the tailback or the QB,most defense prefer to make the QB keep it and potentially get hurt.

Though I know there is a new rule that running QBs dont get hurt.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
:lmao2: you're killing me dude. what's douchebag had in the last 12 years? two receivers with 700 yd or more?

where did you mean in his career?

Toney with 895 in 2020.
Jefferson with 657 in 2019 (while having a pretty loaded group around him. More than last year or this year will have)
Ross with 917 in 2016
Ross with 1007 in 2015
Wilson with 680 in 2014
Lewis with 923 in 2013
Bumphis with 922 in 2012
Bumphis with 634 in 2011
Murphy with 655 in 2008
Harvin with 858 in 2007
Baker with 920 in 2006
Jackson with 900 in 2005

So, again, stop furthering LtRaz's point that you refuse to believe in the existence of Google. Second, that is 7 different receivers, not 2, with over 700 yards and if you allow for about 50 yards swing, it is 10 different players, or 12 out of the last 16 years where a receiver has had "about" 700-850 yards.

If only I had used similar "about" language in my post to indicate that a breakout wouldn't be all that massive a season in this offence. Ah, that's right:

about 9-11 TDs and 700-850 yards

I believe the stat you are looking for in the future to bitch is that he has had only one 1000 yard receiver (and barely) over 16 seasons as a playcaller.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I have it on good authority we will be running straight up wishbone.
it's basically impossible to be a successful running back in Mullins offense. this just isn't going to happen. the thing is the nature of the option allows the defense to choose who gets to keep the ball. if they're more afraid of the running back then the defensive end crashes on him, and the quarterback is forced to keep or have the running back hit in the backfield.

EJ is a solid runner and our running game will look worlds better without Trash running the option. However I havent seen anything that makes me think he is a game changer or a dude who the defense will collapse on and force the give to Bowman or the other backs. Given a choise of focusing on the tailback or the QB,most defense prefer to make the QB keep it and potentially get hurt.

Though I know there is a new rule that running QBs dont get hurt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have it on good authority we will be running straight up wishbone.
You seem like a mildly intelligent guy, sometimes. You surely arent stupid enough to know that not all options are wishbone, right? Surely you know that.

Someone help his ancient ass.

Obviously, you have no fullback (DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A BELLY IS?/ Chimp) but otherwise a QB TB or lineman from a 70s Nebraska team would have zero trouble with this offense and pick up the playbook in a week or two.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
What a freaking dance. You can't even say it because you know you are wrong. You have to rephrase the question.

What is Mullen not doing that Saban and Swinney are doing?

HS recruiting, offset somewhat by the key transfers.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I am hoping that our break out offensive star turns out to be a couple of o-linemen. It has been forever since we have had an offensive line that can dominate in big games.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
That 2000 class was the most overrated in history.

Florida 2000 Football Commits
Wow, that was historically overrated. I'd forgotten about that group. That group had ten of the top 103 players; none of whom were drafted. The only guys drafted were Max Starks, Ian Scott, Ben Troupe, and Guss Scott, and of those only Starks had a good career (though I was surprised to see Ian Scott lasted six years bouncing around with four different teams; Troupe lasted five.)

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You seem like a mildly intelligent guy, sometimes. You surely arent stupid enough to know that not all options are wishbone, right? Surely you know that.

Someone help his ancient ass.

Obviously, you have no fullback (DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A BELLY IS?/ Chimp) but otherwise a QB TB or lineman from a 70s Nebraska team would have zero trouble with this offense and pick up the playbook in a week or two.
See, this is why we need a sarcasm font. And anyway, the last time we ran the 'bone, Dickey did it with three halfbacks. That backfield was a world class 4X100 relay team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
See, this is why we need a sarcasm font. And anyway, the last time we ran the 'bone, Dickey did it with three halfbacks. That backfield was a world class 4X100 relay team.
Do you know what a belly is!!!!!!????

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.