Breakout Players for 2016

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
So Callaway was our surprise player for 2015; who do you see breaking out this year and having a huge year? Here's My List:

1. Scarlett
2. Dawson
3. Worton

In my opinion I believe that by the end of the year Jordan Scarlett will be our feature back. Thompson is good and we will ride him early on in the year but I believe Scarlett is primed for a huge year. Low center of gravity; good burst of speed; strong...

I think Duke Dawson will finally show up on the defensive end this year. The guy was a technically a major recruit and if he could just get focused, I believe he will have a good year.

Last but not least, Worton. The guy has immense talent and could wreck havoc from many positions. He has unbelievable hands and not elite speed but good route running ability; main caveat here is the same with Robinson; all the talent but no brain. If he gets it through his head this Spring, Worton could become a major player for us.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree with Scarlett since Cronkrite outplayed him last year. I think Thompson will be the breakout player with Cronkrite having a few more reps than Scarlett.

I agree about Duke Dawson. I also think Kylan Johnson will have a huge role at LB and so this will be his breakout year.

I hope you're right about Worton, but there are several other WRs that may have a breakout year this year. Some that come to mind are Kalif Jackson, Dre Massey, Tyre Cleveland, and Josh Hammond. It would be great if Fulwood finally got it together, but I'm not going to keep my hopes up.

Tyler Jordan on the O-line is another; also Pineiro for obvious reasons. Hopefully Del Rio or whoever wins the QB spot will have a big year. This season will go as well as our play at QB.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Rayshad Jackson - The guy has all the tools. How he was a 2-3 star I have no idea as he runs a high 4.5 to low 4.6. He's just plain fast and really strong at the point of attack. He'll start this year.

Mark Thompson - This is a no brainer. He is just a freak.

Nick Buchanan - got a lot of notice from the coaches and defensive players last year for being so physical, but redshirted due to being underweight. He has gained 25 pounds since arriving on campus. He plays angry. I think he'll start at one of the guard spots this year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dre Massey returning kicks.

I have no idea about running back. All three are strong. Lamical Perine comes in as well and is a monster.

I think Clayton will give fits on the DL.

I'm not sold on any of our veteran receivers. I'll go with Hammond.

DB - Wilson

Funny thing is we're deep at all those positions (except KR) so it doesn't matter whether we have a breakout player.

The positions I'm worried about are LB and QB. And I have no idea about those.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hopefully the "break out" players will all be O-lineman.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. Del Rio - plays well all year
2. Anzalone - stays healthy and makes All-Sec 1st team
3. Cleveland finishes second in SEC for freshman of the year.......to Hammond

Please let me sleep, this is a great dream:zzzzz:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna go with Mark Thompson and cvonte Lewis.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Thinking Hammond could be SEC freshman of the year, ala Callaway (minus the suspensions), his tapes look so good. With Tyre close behind and Dre manning the slot. If Martez, F. Johnson, and T. Jordan progress and the OL can gel as a whole order of magnitude better from a year of exp., it would be D. Trump HUGE. If Thompson and the Jordans can break 4.5 to 5 ypc, it helps, lot of ifs, but... all depends on Del Rio. He's the glue. All depends on his ability to manage it all. Franks and Allen and maybe even Trask maybe the future, but Del Rio is the key this year. Make no mistake. OL protection and QB game management are the keys this year.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Davis seems to think highly of Reese. He will play for sure. Not sure how much , but he'll get some PT and hopefully impress.
We're going to need him ready for 17'. Clark will be a solid DT off the bench. Hopefully Holley can provide some quality minutes as well.
I think it's clear the staff doesn't think much of a guy like Bailey. Massey and BP will likely man the slot most of the year, and I agree
with others that Massey looks like he can be a solid return guy as well.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Last but not least, Worton. The guy has immense talent and could wreck havoc from many positions. He has unbelievable hands and not elite speed but good route running ability; main caveat here is the same with Robinson; all the talent but no brain. If he gets it through his head this Spring, Worton could become a major player for us.

:racist:

Just kidding but that's exactly what everybody says about every white WR ever.

He has very good hands. In every other aspect, he's been just average. I know he's been injured, but I gotta believe if he was any good, we would have seen more of it earlier in his career.

We've had WR develop late. Travis McGriff comes to mind (sorry, another white WR, but I can't think of another one that broke out late). McGriff's problem was playing behind Ike, Reidel, and Quezzie who were all in his class and Chris Doering who was a year ahead of him. Even in Spurrier's prolific system, there are only so many balls to go around. We haven't had that problem around here. Callaway shone as a true freshman last year...even with Treon throwing to him.

I'd love to see him emerge as a star but usually with WR and RB you see it right away. Maybe Jemalle Cornelius and Dallas Baker qualify as WR late bloomers? They suffered through that Zook to Urban transition and had good junior/senior seasons. The only RB late bloomer I can think of is Gillislee and I blame the coaches for keeping him on the bench until 2012.

At WR and RB, I suspect any breakout players are going to be true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or true sophomores (like your Scarlett pick).

Alex.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:racist:

Just kidding but that's exactly what everybody says about every white WR ever.

He has very good hands. In every other aspect, he's been just average. I know he's been injured, but I gotta believe if he was any good, we would have seen more of it earlier in his career.

We've had WR develop late. Travis McGriff comes to mind (sorry, another white WR, but I can't think of another one that broke out late). McGriff's problem was playing behind Ike, Reidel, and Quezzie who were all in his class and Chris Doering who was a year ahead of him. Even in Spurrier's prolific system, there are only so many balls to go around. We haven't had that problem around here. Callaway shone as a true freshman last year...even with Treon throwing to him.

I'd love to see him emerge as a star but usually with WR and RB you see it right away. Maybe Jemalle Cornelius and Dallas Baker qualify as WR late bloomers? They suffered through that Zook to Urban transition and had good junior/senior seasons. The only RB late bloomer I can think of is Gillislee and I blame the coaches for keeping him on the bench until 2012.

At WR and RB, I suspect any breakout players are going to be true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, or true sophomores (like your Scarlett pick).

Alex.

C4 didn't play much early in his career. He showed glimpses as a sophomore, but really didn't put it all together until his Jr season.
I would've loved to see how he would've played under Meyer. Granted we wouldn't have had him for the 06 title run, but I think him leaving
early hurt his chances of even a decent NFL career.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
McGriff's problem was playing behind Ike, Reidel, and Quezzie who were all in his class and Chris Doering who was a year ahead of him.

Chris was a few years ahead of him. Chris's Junior year was Travis's red shirt year. Doering was a Senior when Travis was a redshirt Freshman. McGriff's senior year was 1998, and we were force feeding him the ball, because no one was stepping up. His talent was topped out in college, made a nice career in Arena Football through..

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think maybe Stone Forsythe will be a pleasant surprise.
A freshman O-Lineman? I'm surprised by this, coming from you. We can hope he'll be all that and then some. We'll see.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully, all the freshman O-line guys redshirt

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.